Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Period and water park - ASAP
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 2:18 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Frum girls don't generally use tampons.

In my Bais Yaakov high school we were exempt from swimming in gym if we were on our periods for this reason. She shouldn't feel pressured to use a tampon if she doesn't want to.

pause

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 3:05 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
How is this related to chasidish? Just curious. Are your bodies created differently?

It's not related to chassidish. At all.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:04 pm
If you (or your teen) are nervous to try a tampon, use some KY jelly on the applicator. I wish more people knew about that, so they wouldn't traumatize themselves the first time.

Once you've proven to yourself that it will go in smoothly, you'll have the confidence to do it properly without the lubrication.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:16 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
In my Bais Yaakov high school we were exempt from swimming in gym if we were on our periods for this reason. She shouldn't feel pressured to use a tampon if she doesn't want to.

Your bais yaakov had gym with swimming? Where was this? BTW, the reason I ask is because the more right wing BYs in the US happen to not have pools, afaik. And a bunch of us who went there never heard of this concept of frum girls not wearing tampons. So to the extent that anyone was ever told this, it's not a mainstream thought in mainstream BY.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:23 pm
I went to a conservative camp and you could get exempted from swimming if you had your period. This didn't mean that you couldn't use one, it just meant that you had a get out of swim free card if you wanted as they can't force you to use one (or know who did/didn't).

I used tampons and went to the water park, but you can bet I used my period as an excuse to not go in the slimy lake with the biting fish.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:31 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Your bais yaakov had gym with swimming? Where was this? BTW, the reason I ask is because the more right wing BYs in the US happen to not have pools, afaik. And a bunch of us who went there never heard of this concept of frum girls not wearing tampons. So to the extent that anyone was ever told this, it's not a mainstream thought in mainstream BY.

Mine too. 😂 Toronto

crl

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:37 pm
On my 8th grade graduation trip, at least half of us ended up synced on our periods but also were at a hotel with a pool, so one of my classmates showed anyone who wasn’t familiar how to use a tampon and we all swam merrily on our non-bloody way.

Was a Bais Yaakov type school.

This concept that girls shouldn’t bike, ride horses, use tampons etc. just in case they break their hymen is archaic and damaging. Virginity is defined by intimate penetration.

Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:41 pm
WhatFor wrote:

BYA in Flatbush has a pool (no idea if this poster went there or not).

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 2:54 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Using a tampon is tantamount to having Zex. If your teenage daughter uses a tampon she will not be betulah and cannot marry a Kohen. It is also a slippery slope as she will hang out with a bad crowd, use drugs, and stop dressing Tnius. Just don't do it!!!

I am kidding for anyone who couldn't tell. LOL

Being divorced and annoyed to no end about the not marrying cohanim halacha, I will vent now to you all.
DO NOT THINK THAT THE REASON A COHEN CANNOT MARRY A DIVORCEE IS BECAUSE OF VIRGINITY.
Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, that feels better.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 2:59 am
Orchid wrote:

And I know BYA is a frum right wing school but as far as frum schools go in NYC, it's pretty center.

My point being, I'm not doubting that her BY had a school, I'm just saying if the vast majority of ppl who went to really right wing schools have heard of and used tampons, the root of not using tampons has nothing to do with level of frumkeit.

Aylat

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 3:21 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Being divorced and annoyed to no end about the not marrying cohanim halacha, I will vent now to you all.
DO NOT THINK THAT THE REASON A COHEN CANNOT MARRY A DIVORCEE IS BECAUSE OF VIRGINITY.
Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, that feels better.

And just to prove that: a kohen is allowed to marry a widow (except the kohen gadol).

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:33 am
Using a tampon is tantamount to having Zex. If your teenage daughter uses a tampon she will not be betulah and cannot marry a Kohen. It is also a slippery slope as she will hang out with a bad crowd, use drugs, and stop dressing Tnius. Just don't do it!!!

I am kidding for anyone who couldn't tell. LOL

I got so confused until your post started escalating LOL
I was like, well oops, someone better call my hubby quick

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:51 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Mine too. 😂 Toronto

YES ME TOO! PM me BYT buddy Hug

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 2:18 pm
You do you. I went to ps and we didn't go in the water

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 2:48 pm
OP,
So what ended up happening with her trip? Did she go into the water?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 2:51 pm
Orchid wrote:

I went to bya and in my days only some of the elementary grades used the pool for gym part of the year. The HS never did. It was mostly used by the day camp.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 3:28 pm
Aside from the myth of tampons affecting virginity, the whole fuss about virginity is mostly from the Christians.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 3:34 pm
I went to a conservative camp and you could get exempted from swimming if you had your period. This didn't mean that you couldn't use one, it just meant that you had a get out of swim free card if you wanted as they can't force you to use one (or know who did/didn't).

I used tampons and went to the water park, but you can bet I used my period as an excuse to not go in the slimy lake with the biting fish.

I have always had pretty heavy periods (change super tampon once every hour first three days and it often still has already leaked) and I would always go swimming with nothing because IME periods stop in the water due to the gravity. I would NOT do this at a water park though because youre in and out.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 3:36 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Aside from the myth of tampons affecting virginity, the whole fuss about virginity is mostly from the Christians.

How do you figure the second part. Look at the ketubah.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 3:37 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
How do you figure the second part. Look at the ketubah.

The ketubah mentions it, it doesn't obsess over it.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children