Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
MHC (Touro) or MSW(SS/Wurzweiler)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:23 pm
Does anyone have experience with the Masters in MHC program through Touro OR the Masters in SW program at Wurzweiler through Sara Schnierer?

I'd be interested in hearing more from people that have personally done/are currently doing any of them. How did you find the caseload? Did you get any scholarships? How was field placement?

And I'm also interested in hearing the pros and cons of the two different degrees from anyone that is in wither of these fields. (MHC and MSW.)

Thanks!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:30 pm
Whatever you so, PLEASE make sure you're clear on what you can expect once you graduate. What the job market is like for that degree, where you live and in other regions. How much you can expect to earn in your first job, five years down the line, what's the ceiling. I know a few people personally who have invested time and money into those degrees and never ended up working in the field because of the employment opportunities (or should I say lack thereof). Not in NY so I can't comment more specifically. Good luck!

miami85

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:38 pm
I can't say much about the programs, but I'm pretty certain that one major difference in the two fields is that MHC has a theoretical basis in psychological theory, whereas Social Work is more of a "working with the client" and has a different theoretical basis. I took a "counseling" class that was intended for the MHC field (I'm a school psychologist), but it was given by a Social Worker as part of the Social Work department, and I felt completely lost. I'm pretty sure that their internships are structured differently,

Touro does have both degrees and as of a few years ago had a very strong Social Work department, but don't know recent

Social Work might be a slightly broader field but more of the opportunities are lower paying as you are working in welfare-based clinics. Both have options for independent licensure.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:41 pm
What does it mean to get a masters through Sara Schneir instead of getting the degree directly through wurzweiler?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:00 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
What does it mean to get a masters through Sara Schneir instead of getting the degree directly through wurzweiler?

It means that I apply through SS- the benefits are that it comes out cheaper, and they have their own cohort. The degree is from Wurzweiler though. (The benefit for me personally is also location. It’s easier for me to get to Brooklyn than to Washington Heights. )

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 5:21 pm
Bump

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 5:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It means that I apply through SS- the benefits are that it comes out cheaper, and they have their own cohort. The degree is from Wurzweiler though. (The benefit for me personally is also location. It’s easier for me to get to Brooklyn than to Washington Heights. )

So you don’t take the classes at wurzweiler but the degree is through them?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 5:24 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
So you don’t take the classes at wurzweiler but the degree is through them?

Correct. Although it’s their curriculum and possibly their instructors as well.
There are two options. Classes at Sara Schneirer’s campus or a live online option.

I’ve compared the program offered through SS to the program that’s on Wurzweiler’s website and it seems to be the exact same thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics