Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
The deer here think that they own the road.
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:34 pm
They cross Maple when there is traffic but the real chutzpah was when a whole family of them tried to cross the street in Chestnut Ridge. Who do they think they are? Someone needs to tell them how not to become road kill. They really make me nervous.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:37 pm
I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or serious. We invaded their territory, we're taking away their home. I've never heard anyone complaining that the deer bother them, they're afraid of people.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:41 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or serious. We invaded their territory, we're taking away their home. I've never heard anyone complaining that the deer bother them, they're afraid of people.

I am always worried about hitting one with the car. I watch the side of the road to make sure that they are not about to run in front of the car. They are pretty but there is a danger involved in hitting one.

happyone

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:44 pm
yup. you are right. Driving through the still uninhabited parts of what's left of Monsey is dangerous! These deer take no notice of the cars on the roads and many become roadkill on an almost daily basis.

I'd still prefer the deer over the overcrowding in many areas!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:46 pm
Ma Rabu Maasecha Hashem. They are beautiful creatures.
We have a family of about 10 deer that pass my property every day. If we are outside in the yard, the male deer with massive antlers stops and stares at us threateningly. He looks like he’s ready to charge at us...and they are FAST. They are still better than the fox and raccoons that make their nightly visits. But I’d be happy if we didn’t have so many ticks to deal with.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:49 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

The deer in monsey arent afraid of people at all lol. Not anymore...they're all over the place, and while I dont usually complain about them (I got to see a mother nursing her twins in my front yard. It was better than national geographic!), it can be quite terrifying to drive when theyre near. They dont respond to horn honking like they used to, and a full grown deer can be quite a beast.

I hit a full grown male last year (he charged across the road so fast, all I could remember in the half a second of time that I had was that the advice in my scenario is not to brake or swerve, but to continue) and I can not even describe the terror of me colliding with his huge form with a BANG, his antlers on my windshield, him flying up feet in the air, then my van rolling over his body and fighting to keep control of my vehicle... it was unbelievably terrifying. And they are everywhere. I have seen time and time again, a deer waiting almost patiently at the side of the road, then just as a car approaches, decide to run across.

I do love them. They are majestic, beautiful creatures...but I kinda liked them better when they were more timid.

And dont get me started on the bears...!!!

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:50 pm
Uninhabited? Lol.

They stroll across rt 59. They root around in my backyard, part of a busy complex. It seems the deer population is flourishing here more than ever.

overworked

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:55 pm
yesterday bears where in the bates collage area thats scary

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:01 pm
overworked wrote:
yesterday bears where
in the bates collage area thats scary

Exactly! The gophers and groundhogs are cute but bears and deer need to know their place.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:08 pm
overworked wrote:
yesterday bears where in the bates collage area thats scary

Whats crazy is that just 10, 15 years ago, when there was a bear in monsey, it was a huuuuuge deal. Channel 12 news would come down, they'd tranquilize it and relocate it. I remember a bear in a tree on Jill lane one time, and it was on all the tv stations, they stunned it into a net, moved it etc. It was the talk of the town.

Now, they say we shouldnt bother calling the cops because they arent authorized to do anything about it anymore, unless its a real danger.

Now, what do you think happens over 15 years, to the few bears that are left alone?
Umm....
They multiply!! They have little cutie babies, and then little cutie eineklach, and now, we dont just have "a bear in monsey". Now we have "bears in monsey". Just like we have squirrels and turkeys.

Where I live its a normal occurence to see them, or see evidence of them. I find bear poop in my yard, my neighborhood whatsapps dont post hysterical texts that theres a bear around, instead they just give a blase FYI "btw, bear's outside millmans house now, careful".
We all know to make a lot of noise going in and out of our cars at night, and to scan the area carefully.

It has become such a normal part of life, it is ridiculous.

Most of all, its frightening how the bears truly are not afraid of humans anymore. The age old advice when you see a bear is to make a lot of noise, bang pots together and they get frightened away. Now? Ha! They just look at you and stay right where they are. Youre late for an appointment? Either chance it, or too bad.

Last edited by little neshamala on Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:09 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

1. Deer carry ticks.
2. Deer eat flowers and other decorative vegetation. The deer eat leafy trees. The trees end up looking like giant phalluses. The shaft is eaten straight up and down with the bushy part on top.
3. Deer pick a spot to do their business repeatedly destroying vegetation.
4. Deer are dangerous. A deer ran into the side of my car while I was driving.
5. Deer are over populated for the area because their predators aren't here anymore.

I would love to see the population controlled.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:38 pm
Do you all expect a deer to read this and just offer to kill itself?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 5:01 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
Do you all expect a deer to read this and just offer to kill itself?

Not kill itself but the opposite. Read this and not dart in front of cars. I teach my almost 4 year old granddaughter to warn the animals not to run. There are deer crossing signs and the animals need to learn what it means.

Seriously though, there may be ways to control animal populations so that they don't endanger humans.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 6:17 am
southernbubby wrote:
They cross Maple when there is traffic but the real chutzpah was when a whole family of them tried to cross the street in Chestnut Ridge. Who do they think they are? Someone needs to tell them how not to become road kill. They really make me nervous.

I love the way you wrote this Smile !! And when I went to an suburban area, I was fascinated by the deer.

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:24 am
little neshamala wrote:
The deer in monsey arent afraid of people at all lol. Not anymore...they're all over the place, and while I dont usually complain about them (I got to see a mother nursing her twins in my front yard. It was better than national geographic!), it can be quite terrifying to drive when theyre near. They dont respond to horn honking like they used to, and a full grown deer can be quite a beast.

I hit a full grown male last year (he charged across the road so fast, all I could remember in the half a second of time that I had was that the advice in my scenario is not to brake or swerve, but to continue) and I can not even describe the terror of me colliding with his huge form with a BANG, his antlers on my windshield, him flying up feet in the air, then my van rolling over his body and fighting to keep control of my vehicle... it was unbelievably terrifying. And they are everywhere. I have seen time and time again, a deer waiting almost patiently at the side of the road, then just as a car approaches, decide to run across.

I do love them. They are majestic, beautiful creatures...but I kinda liked them better when they were more timid.

And dont get me started on the bears...!!!

Bears are the natural predators of deer. If the deer population keeps exploding don't be surprised if we get more bears or wolves or coyotes. Nature has ways of balancing things out.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:27 am
It is really scary. I'm walking on the side walk at night and I have to move aside because there's a deer walking on it too and is not making place for me. Sad It's really creepy and then they look at you with these eyes.... and they follow you to see where you're going. I'm not exaggerating, this happens every night almost on my power walk.
That's why in PA they have deer hunting days. To control the population, so they don't become the boss like here.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:56 am
Squishy wrote:
Bears are the natural predators of deer. If the deer population keeps exploding don't be surprised if we get more bears or wolves or coyotes. Nature has ways of balancing things out.

Hmm. Just googled it. Seems that the black bear we have will "occasionally grab a fawn". They'll eat deer roadkill too, and while they are capable of eating a full grown deer, it is very rare.

And we've already got plenty of coywolf too...Hashem Yerachem if we ever get real wolves!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:28 am
I love deer. I think they are beautiful. The other day, two baby deer, hardly larger than cats, were frolicking in my back yard. There's woods at the end of my yard with logs and fallen trees, and they were jumping from one to the next. It was so beautiful.

Sometimes an entire family comes to visit. I've seen the father with his big horns, the mother with her pointed ears, some bigger siblings and some littler ones.

Some neighbors complain that they eat their freshly planted flowers. I haven't had that problem, so I'm guessing they don't like marigolds.

I only wish they would find other bathroom facilities. But I do love that they come to visit.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:21 am
I don't recall that there was such a large population of deer in Monsey years ago, before the overbuilding excuse. They were hardly seen and there was plenty of greenery around for their natural habitat.
Deer are beautiful, nice and cute, till you chas vshalom get hit with lyme.
After you go through that 'experience' you get very wary and antsy when you see them around your property.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:39 am
How do you deal with the tics?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics