Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do Rebbes or male teachers make more than female teachers?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:18 am
I just heard from another mother that male teachers for limudei kodesh make more than female teachers (our school is co-ed in younger grades). Does anyone know such a thing to be true?

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:20 am
Even if they're less qualified and experienced?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:45 am
Rappel wrote:
Even if they're less qualified and experienced?

let's say they're equally qualified and experienced

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:53 am
You are asking about a specific school.

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:53 am
That's the way it usually works. Women are pregnant, have babies, need to stay home when a child is sick. It's much harder to employ women.

egam

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:59 am
creditcards wrote:
That's the way it usually works. Women are pregnant, have babies, need to stay home when a child is sick. It's much harder to employ women.

None of the reasons you mentioned are legal to justify a lower salary.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:01 pm
creditcards wrote:

That might explain unequal hiring practices, but it doesn't explain unequal salaries, assuming equal qualification and experience.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:02 pm
In my kids school some of the female teachers are paid more than the rebbeim. I think it's based on experience/ seniority. I'm sure it varies by school. Ours is a right wing oot school.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:04 pm
Generally rebbeim do get more. It's simple supply and demand. There are more women interested in teaching than men. In general. Since we have a need for pretty much the same amount of each you end up with a surplus of women and a shortage of men. Just simple numbers.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:11 pm
gamanit wrote:
Generally rebbeim do get more. It's simple supply and demand. There are more women interested in teaching than men. In general. Since we have a need for pretty much the same amount of each you end up with a surplus of women and a shortage of men. Just simple numbers.

Really? I know soo many people that want to stay in klei kodesh but can't find Rebbi jobs.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:14 pm
I don't think that is true anymore. With the large numbers of men looking to stay in klei kodesh when they leave kollel, I've heard of even OOT rebbeim jobs having literally dozens, even a couple hundred, if not more applicants. Maybe not in the tiniest of places, like a start up day school in a community that has, like, 50 shomer shabbos families. But otherwise, it's a myth that there is a huge demand/low supply of male teachers.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:15 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Really? I know soo many people that want to stay in klei kodesh but can't find Rebbi jobs.

It's possible that for whatever reason the chedorim don't think that they are a good fit for them or that your community is different than mine. In my community there is always a need for good rebbeim (some rebbeim staying on an extra year because they couldn't find an adequete replacement) but while there are constantly new positions opening for women there are many many applicants for each position.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:16 pm
I don't know where you live but I think that community must be an exception.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:18 pm
Chassidish community. Most men leaving kollel are leaving because they need the money. Regular jobs always pay more than klei kodesh. Elementary school teachers get still less though which is why experienced teachers almost always move on to high school as they need greater income.

leah233

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:19 pm
Unless it is a co-ed school of course the Rebbeim are going to get paid more as they have much more hours than the female teachers.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:22 pm
Ok, I was talking about your average yeshiva day school. To get a job as a rebbe there is very, very competitive unless you have major connections.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:25 pm
While I definitely say equal pay for equal work, supply and demand may be a factor as is a difference in degrees.
If you put out a job posting offering $x, for a woman 4th grade limudei kodesh teacher, or a secular studies teacher, you may get 10 or 15 qualified applicants. You put out an add for a 4th grade boys Rebbe, you may get 2, and they may come with salary demands/coming from another school with a salary that you needs to be meet or exceeded and many of the women applicants are either SAHs going back to work, or primarily interested in working in that school for their children to get a tuition break.
The Rebbeyim also may have more schooling/degrees.
If two women both teach 2nd grade for the same number of years, and one has a masters degree +30 in education and one only has a BA, I wouldn't expect that they make the same salary.

Listen, I would love for them to pay everyone a great identical salary, but we are dealing with a budget and tuition can't (shouldn't) go higher.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:27 pm
gamanit wrote:

What you are saying is they are different jobs (different job requirements) - so reasonably they can have different pay.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:31 pm
I haven't heard of rebbeim having degrees, unless it's a very modern school. And like I said, times have changed, there are way more than 2 applicants for a job. Actually I think it's harder to get female English teachers nowadays, it pays so little. Women need to bring in more money than what they pay.

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:32 pm
egam wrote:
None of the reasons you mentioned are legal to justify a lower salary.

People don't always do what's legal.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics