Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nutrition for a 1 year old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:16 pm
My baby is turning 1 in a few weeks. I would like to know what she needs to eat nutrition wise.
She is on formula.
She likes oatmeal baby cereal and baby jars. I just give her randomly without any schedule. Formula also on demand when she cries. If I make her some sort of eating schedule. What should it look like?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:20 pm
A one year old is usually eating three meals a day, like adults. Forget about baby food and give him real food. If you want to continue bottles it should be limited to probably two a day, 8 oz each. Speak to your pediatrician if you're unsure.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:22 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
A one year old is usually eating three meals a day, like adults. Forget about baby food and give him real food. If you want to continue bottles it should be limited to probably two a day, 8 oz each. Speak to your pediatrician if you're unsure.

She can't chew any food yet. I give her tiny prices of food I eat. She just sucks on it for a while until it falls out of her mouth a half hour later.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She can't chew any food yet. I give her tiny prices of food I eat. She just sucks on it for a while until it falls out of her mouth a half hour later.

Hmm it's usually expected that a one year old will use gums to chew food and swallow it. I would keep offering it at the beginning of each meal time and mention it to the pediatrician if you don't see changes. What happens when you give food that basically turns into mush in her mouth?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:48 pm
Even if she can’t or won’t chew, you can give her regular food! Just purée it. Beef stew, soups, chicken: anything can be puréed so that baby can eat without chewing

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:59 pm
My one year old doesnt chew food I sometimes find hole food in her diaper. When she is hungry she stuffs whole food in her mouth. I give her still the pureed fruit jars. Yogurt, I grind down food in the food processor,soups, and were working on mashed food avocado and bananas

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:02 pm
We do three meals a day and a snack. I nursed on demand but my baby is on a nursing strike ( that might end in weaning) so right now she’s having 3 bottles a day.

If your baby can’t chew at all, I would discuss with the doctor.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:09 pm
She can't chew at all. I'm trying to teach her to eat Cheerios. She sucks it and plays with it in her mouth.
Smushes it back and forth. After a while she either swallows it by mistake, usually gags on it or it falls out of her mouth. She can eat yogurt.
I need easy food. I'm not such a good balubuste to go puree all types of food.
I would mention to the pediatrician but what is it going to help me. She already is getting some therapy from Early intervention but it's really not for feeding.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:10 pm
I would think by 1 your baby should be able to swallow food without gagging. Even with no teeth. My 11 month old baby is a poor eater but he has favorites he eats easily with his gums

If he can’t swallow without gagging I would talk to your pediatrician.

Our foods now:
Cheerios
Sliced banana (favorite breakfast)
Vegetables from the soup (he loves carrot spears)
Small diced boiled chicken
Cholent (without honey)
Potato kugel
Small pieces of pizza
Watermelon (favorite!)
Diced bread
Crackers
Rice cakes
Sliced cheese.
Avocado (mine doesn’t like the taste)
Scrambled eggs (mine doesn’t like the taste)
Whole milk yogurt
Soft peas
Defrosted frozen strawberries
Diced soft peaches

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:11 pm

amother
Blush

You can take some chicken soup and mostly puree it but leave some small chunks. See how she manages a small spoonful of mostly liquid with a little bit of chunks. And keep offering foods like Cheerios, bits of crackers, scrambled eggs.

pesek zman

amother [ Azure ] wrote:

If your baby eats all that at 11 months he’s not a poor eater!

sky

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:13 pm
pesek zman wrote:
If your baby eats all that at 11 months he’s not a poor eater!

Removed another - set by accident.
I know as I was making that list I think I realized it. I still feel he is picky and his growth is poor so I guess I worry...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:14 pm
I gave her egg salad (with mayonnaise) yesterday. She managed that very nicely. But anything that can't be swallowed without chewing she gags on.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She can't chew at all. I'm trying to teach her to eat Cheerios. She sucks it and plays with it in her mouth.
Smushes it back and forth. After a while she either swallows it by mistake, usually gags on it or it falls out of her mouth. She can eat yogurt.
I need easy food. I'm not such a good balubuste to go puree all types of food.
I would mention to the pediatrician but what is it going to help me. She already is getting some therapy from Early intervention but it's really not for feeding.

I would give the Cheerios a few days. I’m no expert but I think the playing is good and it is normal to struggle with swallowing solids in the beginning.
I do think at this age she should be learning to swallow more then purées.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 11:16 pm
She should be seen by a speech pathologist who specializes in pediatric feeding. Her feeding skills are not age appropriate. Have you looked into tongue tie?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 12:13 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
She should be seen by a speech pathologist who specializes in pediatric feeding. Her feeding skills are not age appropriate. Have you looked into tongue tie?

When she was a newborn a lactation consultant checked if she has a tongue tie and said she didn't.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 12:38 am
Has she eaten oat baby cereal? Bamba?

Other ideas: smoothies, mashed banana, applesauce, cooked red lentils or hummus

Rachel Shira

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 7:16 am
When did you start giving her finger foods? If it was very recently she might need more time to get used to it. Usually babies take a few weeks or months to get the hang of actually consuming foods and not just smushing/gagging/spitting/dropping. If you’ve been offering her Cheerios since 7 months old and she still has trouble with them, I agree to speak to her doctor.
Putting that aside, one year olds are phasing out of baby food and starting to eat regular table food, generally.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 7:18 am
I used to get the baby cereal which is a bit lumpier to get dc used to different textures. I think it says from 7months+
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics