Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do Rebbes or male teachers make more than female teachers?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:38 pm
Yes, they do
I don't think it just applies to Rebbes/Teachers.
It's something that secular, news anchorwomen, professors and others have been arguing and advocating about for years.

Last edited by ShishKabob on Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just heard from another mother that male teachers for limudei kodesh make more than female teachers (our school is co-ed in younger grades). Does anyone know such a thing to be true?

Absolutely
Positively
There is still a VERY STRONG glass ceiling in frum soceity

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:51 pm
In regard to supply/demand, I think what many of you, who say that there a plenty of Rebbeyim, are missing, is that I think we are talking about MO schools. I want a Rebbi who is MO lechatchila, most likely YU educated, not someone who is a kollel guy; Lakewood or Chassidishe, who thinks MO is less. I want a Rebbi who is part of my community and a role model for the boys, not someone who holds differently that I do. For example, Sunday little league is very big in our community and Halachickly acceptable. I don't want a Rebbi who is going to tell the boys that it is assur or bittul zman and that they are sinning. (There was one -that is where the example came from).
Which brings us to the shortage.
How many Stern/Barnard/Queens-Brooklyn-Hunter College/ Rutgers/Maryland/Binghamton/......... frum women pursue degrees in education and how may YU simcha guys go into early education?

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:53 pm
leah233 wrote:
Unless it is a co-ed school of course the Rebbeim are going to get paid more as they have much more hours than the female teachers.

This. OP, are you calculating per hour, or annual salary? Rebbis work Sundays, longer daily hours, less Yom Tov vacation, and fewer days off altogether.

keym

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:02 pm
My son's rebbeim get paid more than my daughter's kodesh teachers.
1)rebbe works 9-2 sun-thurs, 9-12:30 on fri.
2) daughters teacher works 9-12:30 mon-thurs, 9-12 on Fri
3) rebbe has 6 weeks summer vacation, teacher has 10.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:06 pm
In most co-ed schools, there is no Sunday school and when the school is closed for Erev Yom-Tov, everyone is off and when it is open, everyone is expected. Everyone dismisses at the time of their grades dismissal. I.e. 1st is earlier than 5, and middle school is later yet, but Rebbeyim and female English and science and Chumash teacher all leave the same time for the grade/work day over.

Op, my instinct is that you are referring to my family's elementary school.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 1:26 pm
keym wrote:
My son's rebbeim get paid more than my daughter's kodesh teachers.
1)rebbe works 9-2 sun-thurs, 9-12:30 on fri.
2) daughters teacher works 9-12:30 mon-thurs, 9-12 on Fri
3) rebbe has 6 weeks summer vacation, teacher has 10.

That makes sense, since he's working longer hours and more days. I'm talking about all things being equal (same hours, same number of days, same experience level, same education -- except maybe he has smicha and she has a masters degree, or a few years in a seminary and/or a Jewish studies degree)

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 2:46 pm
Yes they do.
I am a bookkeeper in a school
They work the same hours, but the rebbeim work 3 hours on Sundays too.

Rebeim get more than DOUBLE the moros. Even the first year Rebbe. The rational is the men are supporting a family

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 3:09 pm
but many women are also supporting a family?and anyway a salary shouldn't be determined by employees expenses?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 3:22 pm
Yes, and what makes it worse is that in my circles women are often more qualified. At least they have spent time in seminary learning about education, whereas men may know gemara but not much else.

Women nowadays are certainly supporting their families. Maybe in 1961 families could manage on only a fathers salary, nowadays that is much less common.

And if a woman teacher is a widow, does her salary go up?

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 3:29 pm
They pay according to the Market rate. The market rate for Men is higher than for women. That's just the way it is. Tough luck on us.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:10 pm
creditcards wrote:
They pay according to the Market rate. The market rate for Men is higher than for women. That's just the way it is. Tough luck on us.

There is no justification for a "market rate" that is based on gender alone. Which admittedly in much of the heimish world, exists. It is wrong. You have been taught this is the norm and are therefore complacent but women working equally, should be paid equally. If I do the same work as a man, there is no moral justification that I should be paid less unless you think men are worth inherently more than women. What a sad thought.

Unfortunately until the women grow a backbone as and say "no more" this will prevail.

veiznisht

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:14 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
but many women are also supporting a family?and anyway a salary shouldn't be determined by employees expenses?

Yes. Many women support their families. Probably more so in the frum world than in the secular by virtue of the kollel system.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:15 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Yes they do.
I am a bookkeeper in a school
They work the same hours, but the rebbeim work 3 hours on Sundays too.

Rebeim get more than DOUBLE the moros. Even the first year Rebbe. The rational is the men are supporting a family

That's ridiculous. So does a rebbe with a working wife, earn less?
Does a rebbe with two children earn less than one with ten?

And is this the 1950s? If anything, it seems in the frum community women are doing the bulk of the supporting. THEY should be earning double!

Seems like a weird chauvanist perversion of communism. We will pay them according to what we think they need, not according to what they do.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:16 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
That's ridiculous. So does a rebbe with a working wife, earn less?
Does a rebbe with two children earn less than one with ten?

And is this the 1950s? If anything, it seems in the frum community women are doing the bulk of the supporting. THEY should be earning double!

Seems like a weird chauvanist perversion of communism. We will pay them according to what we think they need, not according to what they do.

Right I agree!!
I'm just saying what is going on!

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:18 pm
creditcards wrote:

In some communities it is not a market rate at all but an artificial cap on salary that applies only to women. And that's all I'm going to say; those that know what I mean know what I mean.

veiznisht

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:21 pm
The fact is the phenomenon isn't just a reality in our schools. Basically any job in which a women is not her own boss, working in a frum company, is subject to being discriminated against in terms of salary.

I have a good friend who was working as an office manager in a frum place. She was leaving for personal reasons and her boss was having trouble finding a suitable replacement given various requirements. He was specifically looking for women, she assumed because they might have degrees or a better command of English. Nevertheless she asked him, "Why don't you try hiring a man?" To which he replied "I can't do that then I'd have to pay him more!"

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:25 pm
It's illegal.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:26 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
In regard to supply/demand, I think what many of you, who say that there a plenty of Rebbeyim, are missing, is that I think we are talking about MO schools. I want a Rebbi who is MO lechatchila, most likely YU educated, not someone who is a kollel guy; Lakewood or Chassidishe, who thinks MO is less. I want a Rebbi who is part of my community and a role model for the boys, not someone who holds differently that I do. For example, Sunday little league is very big in our community and Halachickly acceptable. I don't want a Rebbi who is going to tell the boys that it is assur or bittul zman and that they are sinning. (There was one -that is where the example came from).
Which brings us to the shortage.
How many Stern/Barnard/Queens-Brooklyn-Hunter College/ Rutgers/Maryland/Binghamton/......... frum women pursue degrees in education and how may YU simcha guys go into early education?

Since I joined this forum over a decade ago I have been extremely critical of the charedi rt w world

Here is where I'm fair and castigate the MO system

Cyan and everyone who thinks like you
HELLO MC FLY ....
Only 3% of YU goes into chinuch
The pay is a joke and it's no glamorous

From the time a boy starts talking he is told make money be successful
Go to an Ivy League school
And he better make money
How will he pay his children's tuition

So where are these MO rebbeim supposed to magically come from

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:30 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Since I joined this forum over a decade ago I have been extremely critical of the charedi rt w world

Here is where I'm fair and castigate the MO system

Cyan and everyone who thinks like you
HELLO MC FLY ....
Only 3% of YU goes into chinuch
The pay is a joke and it's no glamorous

From the time a boy starts talking he is told make money be successful
Go to an Ivy League school
And he better make money
How will he pay his children's tuition

So where are these MO rebbeim supposed to magically come from

Indeed, it's a major problem. MO life is so expensive that kids don't go into chinuch. Almost all the young men I know in chinuch have rich parents.

The situation is far better in Israel, where tuition doesn't play the same role.

(Edited for a typo)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics