Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to get my kids into school

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:08 pm
We had a terrible experience in our children's school. The school treated my kids horribly and my kids suffered. I have been trying to get them into school since in middle of the school year. But every school we apply to calls the old school who badmouths us and says horrible things about us, none of which is true, but that's beside the point. The school clearly doesn't like our family and is making life difficult.

How am I supposed to get my kids into another school if they are saying these things about us? It's understandable that every school wants to call your old school, but now the next year is starting soon and I'm stuck without a school for my kids. What do people do in this situation? ( I am not in brooklyn or lakewood so those resources won't help )

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:16 pm
I dont know how other communities work but mine (Chicago) has an organization that oversees all of the schools in our city. Does your community have an oversight agency for yeshivos and day schools? If so, reach out to them they can be very helpful! When I had a major issue with the hanhala of my sons yeshiva I had a meeting with the person in charge of the educational side and he was extremely helpful.

On the random off chance you live where I do, you can PM me.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:22 pm
Remind your current school that if they don't get them into a different school, that they are stuck with you, and that they don't want that.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 5:14 pm
Hug So sorry that you and your children are having such a rough time.

My advice would be to find someone the new school would listen to to counteract what the old school is saying. Do you have a family Rav or other connection who can contact the school on your behalf? Do you know anyone in the administration or any parents who send there already? Do you know any of their big donors?

Hatzlacha!

simcha2

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 5:44 pm
Can you preempt? When calling a prospective school share that you are looking to change because the administration is spreading lashon hara about you? (Or more nuanced, we differ in hashkafa and outlook).

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 6:20 pm
Maybe you could use protektzia. Is there anyone influential that you know who has connection to a school you want your kids to attend? Anyone at the old school who will write something positive that you could submit to balance the picture?

Sometimes, a great recommendation from a shul rav or someone else can counteract the poison.

But it's kind of late now. Do you have any options left? Any place willing to reconsider, if you did these things?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 6:23 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Can you preempt? When calling a prospective school share that you are looking to change because the administration is spreading lashon hara about you? (Or more nuanced, we differ in hashkafa and outlook).

This is a goid idea.

If your community has a very respected rabbi, go speak to him. He may be able to get a school to accept u based on his recommendation

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 6:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We had a terrible experience in our children's school. The school treated my kids horribly and my kids suffered. I have been trying to get them into school since in middle of the school year. But every school we apply to calls the old school who badmouths us and says horrible things about us, none of which is true, but that's beside the point. The school clearly doesn't like our family and is making life difficult.

How am I supposed to get my kids into another school if they are saying these things about us? It's understandable that every school wants to call your old school, but now the next year is starting soon and I'm stuck without a school for my kids. What do people do in this situation? ( I am not in brooklyn or lakewood so those resources won't help )

I'm so sorry, OP.

I'd suggest telling the old school that you're going to a bet din. They are speaking lashon hara about you, and its impacting upon your children's education. See if that stops them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 12:03 am
We did get official rejection letters so I don't know if they would even be willing to reconsider. We are going to meet with a Rabbi in the community and hopefully he can help us or point us the right direction of someone else who can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics