Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
P'tach in D'rav Meir Girls H.S. - Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 10:56 am
What can you tell me about this program? Is it for a girl who struggles academically and currently has modified testing or only for those with serious learning disabilities? Is it integrated into the regular D'rav Meir class? Do the girls welcome them? Is it a good program where they build up the kids?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:03 am
What is P’tach?
Are you referring to the 2nd track that they offer?

Rixter

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:04 am
There is no ptach in the hs.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:09 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
What is P’tach?
Are you referring to the 2nd track that they offer?

Yes

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:15 am
Ok.
Is it officially called P’tach?
My daughter does not have learning disabilities.
The teachers are excellent.
It’s only for a few subjects-possibly regents subjects?
So they do get integrated with the other students for most subjects.
My daughter’s friends are all or mostly from these classes though.
From what I understand, they don’t have the same curriculum as the regular track which bothered me because my daughter did not have the opportunity to take the regents.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 11:19 am
There is also an option for resource room services- for an additional fee.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:53 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
There is also an option for resource room services- for an additional fee.

What is the difference between the modified track and using the resource room?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 4:59 pm
Besides Ptach, there's also an Ichud program. The incoming 9th grade will be in YOB

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 5:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is the difference between the modified track and using the resource room?

I can't say for certain but I believe the modified track is only for a few subjects, whereas in the resource room you could get more private tutoring.

Are you contemplating this school for the upcoming school year?
Did her elementary school recommend this particular school?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:06 pm
I worked in BYDMHS over a decade ago, so things may have changed. As far as I remember, the PTACH track was only for the few prexisting students the school had from elementary. They did not accept new students who needed the extra help. The girls were part of the class, but went to the PTACH room during some subjects. They had a seperate teacher teaching the same Chumash, Navi etc as the regular class, but in a small group and seperate tests in those subjects.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:08 pm
I only graduated pretty recently....there was no p'tach when I was there. I cant imagine they started since I left.
There is a "third class" for certain subjects. But that is in no way p'tach.

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:24 pm
Ptach there closed years ago .

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:29 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I worked in BYDMHS over a decade ago, so things may have changed. As far as I remember, the PTACH track was only for the few prexisting students the school had from elementary. They did not accept new students who needed the extra help. The girls were part of the class, but went to the PTACH room during some subjects. They had a seperate teacher teaching the same Chumash, Navi etc as the regular class, but in a small group and seperate tests in those subjects.

This sounds right.
The high school accepts only A students from outside of their own elementary.
Which is why I asked the OP if her daughter’s principal recommended the school.
Even if a girl who is struggling academically is placed on the second track, she will be mainstreamed into the classroom with most of the subjects which are on a very high level.
You may be better off looking into another school if that’s an option for you.

crbc

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:32 pm
OP, look into Ichud program , 9th grade going to YOB.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 12:32 am
I think you may be referring to the ichud program that was hosted in the school roughly 2 years ago. I used to work for ichud and all I can say is the boss expects a lot from the teachers, so the education and classroom management and classroom creativity are top notch. In turn, this helps the students reach maximum potential as they are treated like regular students with learning disabilities. Most of the girls are perfectly sociable and the only area lacking is their learning disability. There is a lot of support staff like coteachers, speech therapists, social workers, and if I'm not mistaken all teachers have a degree in special ed. They are very selective with their staff as they like to keep the program top notch.
I no longer work there but I saw someone mention that the incoming class will be in YOB and I do know from colleagues that last time they had a class there it was very successful. Obviously, you need to do you own research and see if this is the right fit for your child. Hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics