Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Silver Spring

amommy2

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:41 am
Hi, I'm looking to get some information about the community in Silver Spring. We're starting to think about options of where to move when my husband finishes school. He would need to commute daily to D.C. for work. I was curious to hear more about the community.. Is it a Modern Orthodox crowd or is there a Yeshivish crowd as well? How is the cost of living /housing in the Kemp Mills area?
Please feel free to PM me.
Thank you very much!!

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:52 am
The commute to DC is very doable. Silver spring is a huge mix. Kemp Mill is the largest area. It's a huge mix from oot yeshivish to left wing modern orthodox. It's a pretty live, let live place. Housing prices in Kemp Mill range from mid 400-600. The houses are small but usually have 3-5 bedrooms. Woodside (a smaller community) is closer to DC but more expensive. White oak is also a smaller community and less expensive. It's older. It's more homogenous than Kemp Mill.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:10 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
The commute to DC is very doable. Silver spring is a huge mix. Kemp Mill is the largest area. It's a huge mix from oot yeshivish to left wing modern orthodox. It's a pretty live, let live place. Housing prices in Kemp Mill range from mid 400-600. The houses are small but usually have 3-5 bedrooms. Woodside (a smaller community) is closer to DC but more expensive. White oak is also a smaller community and less expensive. It's older. It's more homogenous than Kemp Mill.

I visited once and liked it. There’s a kosher pizza place that gets the thumbs up from me. 😋

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:12 am
I understand you are looking into Silver Spring. It's definitely closer to DC. However, Baltimore is not too bad of a commute (about an hour via public transportation) and plenty people do it.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:22 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I visited once and liked it. There’s a kosher pizza place that gets the thumbs up from me. 😋

It's also a very non materialistic community. But I really wouldn't come here for our restaurants. 😄 There are not so many.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:13 am
Thanks for this thread OP! I just logged on to make the same one as we may be moving in August.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:17 am
In terms of crowd, they have everything. The Torah school is absolutely wonderful and you're going to love it. It's expensive but not any more expensive than the rest of the East Coast. What cried are you in? I can give more info if you tell us that.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:22 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
In terms of crowd, they have everything. The Torah school is absolutely wonderful and you're going to love it. It's expensive but not any more expensive than the rest of the East Coast. What cried are you in? I can give more info if you tell us that.

Sorry to disagree. Silver spring is expensive depending on your point of reference. Torah school tuition is over 16k. Yeshiva is over 19k for lower grades and 21k for high school. They do give breaks but it's more expensive than many places in the East coast Food is higher than ny/NJ. But hi neighbor.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:34 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I understand you are looking into Silver Spring. It's definitely closer to DC. However, Baltimore is not too bad of a commute (about an hour via public transportation) and plenty people do it.

This is only based on several short trips , so take it with a grain of salt.
I love Baltimore, my son lives there..
But SS is like the Ritz Carlton 5 star..., and Pikesville is more like Motel 6...

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:47 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Sorry to disagree. Silver spring is expensive depending on your point of reference. Torah school tuition is over 16k. Yeshiva is over 19k for lower grades and 21k for high school. They do give breaks but it's more expensive than many places in the East coast Food is higher than ny/NJ. But hi neighbor.

Brunette, youre right. Housing is less expensive than New York / Five Towns. School is more expensive.
Berman, modern orthodox option, is over 18K for lower grades, K-5. 22K for middle school. 26K for high school.

Beth Tfiloh in Baltimore or Charles Smith in Rockville is even more.

Then you have to add busing. It is not free like in New York. Figure 1.5K for each child for central pickup and dropoff where you have to take and pick up your little ones or 3K for each child for door to door service. Work starts early in DC and commuting is a mess so you can't always drive them to school.

Summer camp is expensive too.

Transportation is a lot more than in New York. Metro is twice as much as subway in New York. If you live in Kemp Mill or White Oak you have to drive to Metro parking lot and pay to park each day. Or you can drive. Sometimes work subsidizes parking so that can be cheaper.

Shul membership is around $3K per year for the modern orthodox shul when you add membership fee, building fund and rosh hashanah / yom kippur seats. Maybe more. Young israel is around half as much.

It is not a place to get rich but you can find houses that are cheap compared to New York so it is a good place to get a start as a young family.

amommy2

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 7:01 am
Thank you all for the info! Is it hard to find houses near the shul area? It seems like most houses for sale are somewhat of a walk. Also, what is the crowd in the Torah School like? Would a yeshiva type family fit in or feel out of place? Someone mentioned to me that it's becoming a little more right wing but I'm curious if people feel that way.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 7:11 am
amommy2 wrote:
Thank you all for the info! Is it hard to find houses near the shul area? It seems like most houses for sale are somewhat of a walk. Also, what is the crowd in the Torah School like? Would a yeshiva type family fit in or feel out of place? Someone mentioned to me that it's becoming a little more right wing but I'm curious if people feel that way.

There are plenty of yeshivish families in the Torah School. It's a great school. There are also families who are not modern, but not yeshivish and may watch cartoon movies/eat chalav stam/wear some things you don't. I don't know you, but you would probably fit in, as long as you are ok that some families aren't as right wing as you.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 7:23 am
amommy2 wrote:

I'm anon, because you will probably meet me at some point and I've said very identifiable things on Imamother. There are houses in walking distance from the shuls. Check ciment.com/kempmill for a listing. I don't know your haskafa (you mentioned yeshiva, so I am assuming kollel), but there are two shuls where people send to the Torah school (shomrai, which was the main shul for years and has a broad mixture of people, and ohr hatorah, which started about 6 years ago as a younger more yeshivish breakoff). If you are coming from kollel, you will be on the right wing of the spectrum of ohr hatorah. Your husband would probably want to daven there or yeshiva.
About tsgw: it's a community school. Parent body ranges from the rabbonim in town to modern orthodox. It's coed in kindergarten and separate after that. It's become more right wing in terms of that more of the young left wing yeshivish stay in silver spring, but there is still a lot of exposure (plenty of people have TV's, movies, video games, etc). If you are coming from kollel, you will be to the right of the school.

amommy2

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 8:01 am
Thank you so much for all your help regarding the community! What would you say about general cost of living? Our two options right now are Passaic and Silver Spring, as my husband would need to work in NYC or DC. We like the idea of being out of town. I know food is more and tuition costs more as well. Are there other significant differences that anyone can think of?

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 8:11 am
I think housing is about the same, but it's been a while since I compared. Food is somewhat cheaper in Passaic. Tuition is cheaper in Passaic. Commuting to DC may be about the same or cheaper than commuting to NY.

Silver spring is definitely out of town and the nice thing about it is that there is a broad range and everyone tends to get along. It's a pretty wholesome environment. However, the schools will reflect that mix and have a much broader range than yeshiva ketana in Passaic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating