Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher hotel in Austria

Judy

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 2:30 am
I'm planning a summer vacation in Austria. I found 3 kosher hotels there I'm just trying to decide between them. does anyone have any information or has been to any and can share their experience or suggestions I'd appreciate it. One is Alpen Karawaserie in Saalbach -Hinterglemm. The other is Hotel Victoria in Kaprun-this summer being run by an Israeli group-Tour Plus-If anyone been with them and can share...
tia

hila

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 5:01 am
We stayed in a tzimmer/apartment very near the Alpen Karawaserie in Saalbach -Hinterglemm.
We coukld buy bread from teh hotel. I understand that there is a kosher store there in teh high summer months. It is all chassidim there, with a very old Rebbe who takes 2 hours to daven (if he is still alive) . They take it over for the summer.
It is beautiful there, with ski lifts, lakes, and mountains.
We had the convenience of a minyan, but not the overwhelming by Chassidim. (We are DL)

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 5:55 am
That was probably rav wosner ztz"l. He used to stay at the hotel. There are two minyanim in that village. One at the hotel which is regular and one seperate one for the toldos ahron rebbe.
The guests at the hotel are a mix of all types but I agree that more percentage of chassidim then others.
The hotel was renovated several years ago and is simply magnificent.
All the above is for alpenkarawanserei in hinterglemm whihc is a pictureque village.

Victoria in Kaprun is nice but not fancy like the hinterglemm hotel and is more central to reach various other sightseeing places.

Which is the third hotel?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 11:11 am
Has anyone stayed at the alpenkarawanserei hotel and can give feedback ?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:23 pm
Does Hotel Stefani in Vienna still exist? what condition is it in? Are there any other kosher hotels in the Jewish neighborhood? Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Angel

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:39 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Has anyone stayed at the alpenkarawanserei hotel and can give feedback ?

Just saw your post. Beautiful Hotel.
This year they had a new chef and the food wasnt good. But usually the food is delicious. I know they thinking of adding another chef it shouldnt be so bad.
But otherwise, the hotel is plain comfy for the frum

Angel

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:43 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Does Hotel Stefani in Vienna still exist? what condition is it in? Are there any other kosher hotels in the Jewish neighborhood? Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Yes, it still exists. You get kosher breakfast upon request.
There is also the SKY hotel, a bit far from Town, though still in the jewish area. It's basically more apartements and you get kosher breakfasts.
All depends on your budget. Right next to Stefanie you have the S/O hotel, more expensive.
You have the Novotel, City Central and for much cheaper you have allyouneed Hotel or Meininger Hotel.
Good Luck

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:56 am
Thank you Angel for your helpful response.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:55 am
The Sky Apartments in Vienna is nice. Basically apartments in jewish area. It is not "kosher" in the sense of a kosher kitchen, the apartments have kitchens but there are guests with all levels of observance and nonjewish guests as well, so the apartments are not kosher. But you can get a shabbat kettle and plata upon request and a small kosher dairy breakfast served to your room if you order it. There are regular keys, just most apartments are 4th and 5th floor, no shabbat elevator, you have to have some walking stamina on shabbat.
But I can recommend it. There is also Pension Lichtenstein in Herminengasse or so. A little more simple accommodation.
Hotel Stefanie is more upscale than both but nonjewish owned. You can get a room with key upon request. They used to bring in kosher wrapped airplane trays upon request for breakfast. Not a "kosher" hotel.

Regarding Saalbach, yes, the Alpenkarawanserei is in the summer months fully kosher with full board and I think a mikvah on site (fee is 100$ though for use I heard). It is luxury and super nice but very very pricey and you have to book in advance. Its a mainly hasidic crowd there but so is the Viennese community the hashgacha comes from. And the communities it mainly caters to (Antwerp, Zurich, Stamford Hill...). If you are DL or American modox you may feel uncomfy there. But occasionally they have guests there from allover the spectrum. Lol.

Angel

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:47 am
Amother powderblue
If you need more info you are welcome to PM me

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 1:04 pm
hinterglemm is fancier than kaprun. both are nice.

stedanie exists but there are 50 other hotels in the 'jewish district' that are also decent. kosher breakfast is served at stefanie and skyapartments BUT you can have breakfast across the street in the bakery, in shefa or prego...so it is NOT necessary to stay in a 'kosher' place.

nice restaurants and take aways are all located around taborstr.

any other questions?

my advice? rent an apartment in an austrian village that sells kosher bread and chalav isroel milk and has a minyan during summer and cook yourself. you will not be stuck with the touristy atmosphere, save tons of money and have an amazing time if you like skilifts, mountains, lakes, stunning views etc. then spend shabbos in skyapartments in vienna and use sunday to tour the city (SO MUCH TO SEE!!!). maybe take a boattrip to slovakia and visit chasam sofers kever ?

voilá an excellent vacation.

Angel

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 1:51 pm
Kaprun doesnt have a kosher hotel anymore

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 1:57 pm
Yes not anymore this year. It was only made kosher for the summer by different people and travel agencies who sold specific kosher packages.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 2:04 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
hinterglemm is fancier than kaprun. both are nice.

stedanie exists but there are 50 other hotels in the 'jewish district' that are also decent. kosher breakfast is served at stefanie and skyapartments BUT you can have breakfast across the street in the bakery, in shefa or prego...so it is NOT necessary to stay in a 'kosher' place.

nice restaurants and take aways are all located around taborstr.

any other questions?

my advice? rent an apartment in an austrian village that sells kosher bread and chalav isroel milk and has a minyan during summer and cook yourself. you will not be stuck with the touristy atmosphere, save tons of money and have an amazing time if you like skilifts, mountains, lakes, stunning views etc. then spend shabbos in skyapartments in vienna and use sunday to tour the city (SO MUCH TO SEE!!!). maybe take a boattrip to slovakia and visit chasam sofers kever ?

voilá an excellent vacation.

You are very very right! Thats how we do it, too. We are a low budget family Smile and its more fun and flexible than an organized trip.

But lots of people who travel half the globe to go to Europe davka want full board full service kosher hotels. So they do not have to cook. Also, many Americans are used to either NYC infrastructure or Jerusalem or at least OU on every second supermarket item. They easily get lost if they have to fend in a village for themselves with a German language kosherlist and no hechsherim on most foods in the regular supermarkets. They want a kosher hotel with 3-5 meals a day served.

For Vienna, indeed, yes, very true, there are millions of kosher options all around. Even for badatz only people. No need for a "kosher" hotel, any hotel or pension or airbnb will do. Just sometimes the keys are an issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics