Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Shalva

Ima2

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 4:14 pm
just wondering, for those in Israel, will a girl named Shalva get made fun of b/c there is a snack called shalva? what are your thoughts?

juggling

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 4:17 pm
I wouldn't say made fun of. It's a joke people like to make. But it's a beautiful name, and I think that oversahdows any joking. They'll also say, oh, such a good temperament, just like your name.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 7:26 pm
It's a common enough name, that I think it is okay.

jerusalem90

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 12:22 am
I think the Eurovision making band has a stronger connotation now than the snack brand.

IMO would not be made fun of. There is also a maker of cheap Badatz snacks called Maya, and that name is super common.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 12:56 am
I know a lovey girl in the states named Shalva.
Additionally, did not know there was a snack, but I believe in Israel that there is a major organization with provides services for people with disabilities. They had a band at Eurovision.

etky

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 12:56 am
jerusalem90 wrote:
I think the Eurovision making band has a stronger connotation now than the snack brand.

IMO would not be made fun of. There is also a maker of cheap Badatz snacks called Maya, and that name is super common.

Yeah, probably the younger generation doesn't even remember shalva, the cereal.
Re the band though, I think that people in my circles also immediately associate Shalva with the organization itself, which is extremely well known here.
Another thought - I think that if the name were to be pronounced with the accent on the last syllable, like the actual word, then that would differentiate it from the organization or cereal. It also sounds much nicer that way IMO.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 1:25 am
I have a Shalva. We live in israel. She definitely gets comments about the cereal, but not in a nasty way, at all. She also gets comments about the organization - mostly I think she enjoys the fact that things with their logo are "personalized" for her. The connection is just cute, and not in any way hurtful or embarrassing. Regarding how to pronounce, she's SHALva, but of course it could be pronounced the other way. When she was born (we lived in America at the time) a (well-meaning?) friend of my inlaws, who was originally israeli, came over to me and said, "you can't call her SHALva, SHALva is a cereal. shalVA is a name for a girl, not SHALva." We kept it SHALva, and she likes it that way. As far as spelling, if it matters, the cereal is with two vavs. The organization is with one. My daughter spells her name with one vav, but many people misspell it and use two. It's a matter of choice, but two is more common. As an aside, I have a few other kids whose names appear on common food products in Israel. No one gives it a thought. It's cute that the food has their name on it, cute when the river or town or park has the same name they do. Just cute, nothing more.

Ima2

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 2:11 am
thanks gals! It's funny, b/c in the circles I run in, I don't think pple really know about the eurovision contest, only in context of the controversy of chilul shabbos etc. maybe they know about the shalva band but that wouldn't be pple's 1st thought. the cereal is very common on the other hand here. it's not an old cereal anymore and pple refer to many puffed wheat cereals as shalva even if it isn't actually the brand shalva.

One of our kids' names is shalom, so shalva is also similar. I like the name shalva too, but not sure btw the cereal and my other child if it's a good name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names