Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dilemma which mop to get
1  2  Next

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:17 am
Which one do you like?

Swiffer wet/dry
O-Cedar
Scotch brite
Bona

For thorough cleaning, I use my hands n knees. I'm looking for something I can use for quick-every-night mop cleaning.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:22 am
Swiffer 100000% hands down

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:39 am
Get a Bissel steam mop and you won't have to scrub on your hands and knees and you won't need any other mops.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:30 am
Amarante wrote:
Get a Bissel steam mop and you won't have to scrub on your hands and knees and you won't need any other mops.

This was seriously the best cleaning device I ever bought. It gets my floors cleaner than anything and it's so easy to use. However, it's not good for all types of flooring, so check that out first.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:34 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
This was seriously the best cleaning device I ever bought. It gets my floors cleaner than anything and it's so easy to use. However, it's not good for all types of flooring, so check that out first.

True about flooring but I assumed that any kind of floor that is being cleaned on hands and knees or with a Swifter is not a hardwood floor.

But other than wood (which you don't use water on anyway), a steam mop is the best for hard surfaces - tile, vinyl, marble, stone.

I had a kitchen floor that was a disaster because "someone" had spilled raisins and then walked over them and then they dried. With the steamer, I just let the steamer sit on the dried caked on mess and it came right up. In my past life, I would have had to be on my hands and knees with a putty knife trying to get it off.

Mine was fairly inexpensive and you don't need any kind of cleaning products except the recommended distilled water which is pretty cheap in the big bottles.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:47 am
I use the miracle mop with the shmatte that can be removed and washed in the machine. I've been using it for years and I keep on buying it again and again. I have a bunch of shmattes that come to it so I always have a clean mop no matter what.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:49 am
I have the bissel but its not good on vinyl which is half my house. Cleaning lady reccomended the O-cedar. Its great!

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:21 am
It's getting more confusing.
I have the miracle mop for years. It's OK on the hardwood floors. I need for the kitchen- ceramic hard to clean tiles. I need to wash it every. day.
Is the Bissell quick n easy to use? I don't want something that I need to get rags from upstairs and pails, up n down...Oh, and I don't mind using chemicals. I actually like the clean washed up scent it leaves.

Last edited by mom2mysouls on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:22 am
mom2mysouls wrote:
It's getting more confusing.
I have the miracle mop for years. It's OK on the hardwood floors. I need for the kitchen. Ceramic

I use it for all my flooring and it works terrific. Why do you think it's not good for ceramic?

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:32 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I use it for all my flooring and it works terrific. Why do you think it's not good for ceramic?

It's a very glossy, cold, tile. Dirt dries hard on it. The miracle mop doesn't scrub it off well without tons of effort. Also corners need something better. Whoever tried washing this particular floor, realizes it doesn't work.

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:35 am
Amarante wrote:

Thanks. Gonna check it out.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:50 am
I love the o cedar

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:07 am
naomi2 wrote:
I love the o cedar

Do you mean the one with simple flat head or the one you can put in soap and water and squeeze it out?

mom2mysouls

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 9:37 am
Bumping this up.

Purchased the OCedar. It's not much different than any other mop and the handle is short. On to my next mop....

I need something that I can use often. Like daily. Something with several refill rags and that doesn't require a pail.
I'd try the Bissell, but there are many choices. If anyone can let me know the model type or link..
Thanks.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 9:42 am
mom2mysouls wrote:
Bumping this up.

Purchased the OCedar. It's not much different than any other mop and the handle is short. On to my next mop....

I need something that I can use often. Like daily. Something with several refill rags and that doesn't require a pail.
I'd try the Bissell, but there are many choices. If anyone can let me know the model type or link..
Thanks.

I have the Bissell PowerFresh® Steam Mop Hard Floor Steam Cleaner | 1940. I got it because it was relatively cheap and I didn't want to invest too much in case a steam mop didn't work for me. I love it so much. It's so so simple and non shleppy, and my floors can't be cleaner.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 9:44 am
This is the Bissell steam mop I bought from amazon.

It had read the reviews of various models and this seemed fine as I didn't need anything other than a mop to perform basic functions. This works very well for my purposes which is the kitchen and bathroom floors. As I posted above, if there is something that "somebody" has ground in by walking over, I let it sit and steam for a few seconds and it comes right off.

This was one of the less expensive models. It's compact and easy to use. I buy large bottles of distilled water. I did buy one of the fancy fragrant waters with my first order but those definitely were not worth it.

I have wood floors and I wouldn't use them on wood floors.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr.....psc=1

mom2mysouls

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 10:11 am
Thanks.

I don't find $85- 99 really cheap for a mop especially as I have already several mops, plus a steam cleaner (with floor attachment) but I guess it's something to look into...

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:56 am
For quick nightly maintenance, I make a few of the washable Scotch Brite mop pads fully wet, ring out, attach to mop, drizzle on a drop of Mr. Clean, and wash the floor. When pad gets dry and dirty, I switch it out. Repeat. Then dump all 3 dirty cloth pads into the washing machine.

I've done the same with the Miracle Mop and its extra washable pads. Just make sure to buy enough replacement cloths for whichever mop you have.

rachel6543

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 12:21 pm
I have a Swiffer wet/dry.

Although I will have to give a disclaimer, that only my cleaning help uses it, I’ve never actually used it myself. She requested I buy one, loves it and is very happy using it. I only have tile in my small kitchen and bathroom, and have wood floors the rest of the house. Floors are cleaned weekly & this seems fine to get the job done.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 12:47 pm
I used to use a Swifter. They are okay for light cleaning but they don't really scrub floors well.

Regarding the cost - by the time you factor in the cost of Swifer cleaning pads and products, the steam mop is actually less expensive in terms of being cost effective.

If Swifter were better but more expensive and easier, then I would be in favor of Swifter but the steam mop cleans better than Swifter especially for OP who is on her knees scrubbing. I used to scrub like that - with a second rag to clean off any residual dirt left from the first go round.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics