Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
A rent gemach

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 10:08 pm
A young single woman in my neighborhood is having significant health issues. She recently signed a new lease on her apartment, based on the promise from.someone that he would pay her rent for a year. Then he backed out. She is not in a condition to move and in any event, it is important that she stay in the neighborhood as she doesn't have family and receives a lot of support and chizuk here. But she needs a way to pay her rent. Is there any kind of gemach or organization that helps with this?

watergirl

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 10:15 pm
Where are you located? Where I live, JCS helps with this. Not with the entire portion, but they help make up the difference between what the person can pay and the actual rent.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 10:20 pm
If she has a rav who is familiar with her situation, he should be able to vouch for her and help her find a local organization to help. Also, given her poor health, find out what social services she is eligible for.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 10:20 pm
Thank you! She (and I) live in NYC. What does JCS stand for?

dankbar

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 10:45 pm
There is an orginazation Friends of Karen that help pay rent and other expenses, for people dealing with medical crisis. Ask the hospital's social worker to sign you up

watergirl

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 10:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! She (and I) live in NYC. What does JCS stand for?

Jewish Community Services. I am not in NY. This is them in NY. https://jewishboard.org/

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:24 pm
I should have said -- this is a chronic medical situation, although she has improved and hopefully will be able to work at least p/t at some point. Friends of Karen- a wonderful organization - deals with life threatening illnesses, not chronic ones. She is already receiving a lot of social services (including a home health aid and snap) but rent assistance was not offered unless she moves to a lower income neighborhood and she really needs to stay in her home and community. I will look into Jewish Board.

happyone

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:25 pm
dankbar wrote:
There is an orginazation Friends of Karen that help pay rent and other expenses, for people dealing with medical crisis. Ask the hospital's social worker to sign you up

Friends of Karen only deals with pediatric illness.

dankbar

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:43 pm
Can she get section 8 or move to low income housing projects with low rent

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:02 am
happyone wrote:
Friends of Karen only deals with pediatric illness.

And only oncology or life threatening

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:24 am
Can she get disability?? If someone does have disability, sometimes they can fight for a lower rent thats fixed. Theres an organization(not jewish) called legal aid that may be able to help apply for disability or fixed rent.

But, since I dont know the exact health situation you are talking about, she may not qualify, however, you can ask them about it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:36 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
And only oncology or life threatening

Yes. That is what I said.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:37 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Can she get disability?? If someone does have disability, sometimes they can fight for a lower rent thats fixed. Theres an organization(not jewish) called legal aid that may be able to help apply for disability or fixed rent.

But, since I dont know the exact health situation you are talking about, she may not qualify, however, you can ask them about it.

She is receiving disability but it doesn't help with rent unless she moves, which would not be a good idea right now.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:16 am
I can understand your friend's predicament. I'm in Israel, and I'm in the exact same situation.

I just signed a new lease, and then Social Security and Bituach Leumi both decided to put a hold on my benefit payments until I've had yet another medical review. They are saying that it will take up to 3 months to process my application renewal.

Any ideas for help for me?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I can understand your friend's predicament. I'm in Israel, and I'm in the exact same situation.

I just signed a new lease, and then Social Security and Bituach Leumi both decided to put a hold on my benefit payments until I've had yet another medical review. They are saying that it will take up to 3 months to process my application renewal.

speak to your local kupa in RBS
they may be able to help you until bituach leumi kicks in

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

What about it, Imamothers? Do you know of any NYC organizations for my friend OR Israeli ones for our friend FF?

Shuly

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 2:10 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Call Chaim V'chessed https://chaimvchessed.com/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics