Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Kid ideas for fast

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:46 pm
Ages 4 and 7. Boys. Ideas?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:48 pm
What??

dankbar

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:54 pm
I hope they are not fasting. Are you asking how to entertain them?

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:58 pm
It's unclear whether you're asking how to feed them, starve them, make them or entertain them.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:58 pm
Yes. Let me clarify. Entertainment ideas. I anticipate a difficult fast on my end. I do want it to be somewhat in the spirit of the day... not feeling particularly creative right now.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:02 am
Are they into creating and putting things together?

When my girls were young, I bought oak tag and supplies and I showed them a picture of the Beis Hamikdash and said that together they could "create" a replica. They were so inventive! (Okay, they used glitter. I curse all glitter) but it was awesome to behold! It stood almost a foot high, they even made steps..adorable! I made such a huge fuss...I was soo proud..

I saved it in my bedroom until Tisha B'av.

The rest of the story I'll keep to myself so that people dont judge my parenting. Mom shaming is just a self hating mom letting herself be heard imho.

But my kids got the message that year about how sad Tisha B'av was for Hashem.

No, they never 'built' another one, but im hoping theyre busy building the real one.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:10 am
Hmm.. definitely worth a thought. Perhaps with cardboard boxes etc.
I imagine the ending was somewhat like that story of the boy's in camp and the fire.
Maybe I'll read that story to them rather than act it out?
Thank you. They do like to make things together. And they'll totally add glitter.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hmm.. definitely worth a thought. Perhaps with cardboard boxes etc.
I imagine the ending was somewhat like that story of the boy's in camp and the fire.
Maybe I'll read that story to them rather than act it out?
Thank you. They do like to make things together. And they'll totally add glitter.

Have you ever tried getting glitter out of little kids' eyelashes?! While they squirm and cry? While you're terrified it will end up in their eye chas veshalom?

Forget banning the rainbow...lets boycott glitter. Ban it forever! I hate it more than quinoa. And I HATE quinoa..

Good luck with your kids and have a meaningful fast!

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:33 am
cut out different shapes from construction paper like squares & half circles (dome roofs) in different colors. Little squares for windows. rectangles for doors etc. to create a landscape of Yerushalayim. ( all different sizes houses & line/layer one next to other)
Then create a brick wall with different color rectangles or this foam thingy you lick to stick, surrounding the city

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:36 am
I even turned it into a slipper holder once, this landscape. The "moar" in front as the holder & houses in background. Then create paper or foam slippers for tisha bav. You can bead pipecleaners as flip flops

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:39 am
you can also create a kosel on the back of a shoebox cover & have cut out people shaking by davening at kosel.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:41 am
you can prepare a low stool out of wood or decorate a small chair for tisha bav

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:08 am
If it's hard for u to fast, you might be able to break it as soon as you are feeling I'll or weak. It's a nidche fast.
Ask a shailah.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:10 am
Love your creative ideas, dankbar!
A dank!!

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:59 am
make a paper bais hamikdash, and for the next three weeks have them make mitzva note bricks to rebuild it.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:01 am
They can run around doing mitzvas & favors in home or outside with neighbors & collect signatures. Whoever got the most wins
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note