Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Which birthday do you celebrate - English or Hebrew?
Previous  1  2

Which birthday do you celebrate?
Hebrew  
 43%  [ 129 ]
English  
 24%  [ 72 ]
Both equally  
 23%  [ 69 ]
Whichever comes first  
 3%  [ 9 ]
Whichever comes last  
 1%  [ 5 ]
Neither  
 3%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 294

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 9:37 am
Both. Also, we have what we call "birthday shabbos." We started this before thete were kids and it is a lot of fun to see what people pick . On the shabbos closest to one of the birthdays (whichever makes most sense practically), the celebrant gets a menu of their favorites, and a special dessert of their choosing. This year I decided that dds were old enough to do mine themselves. I kept the menu simple and told them to feel free to raid the freezer for challah and soup, but I got Friday off!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 2:10 pm
I only celebrate my Jewish birthday. (But when it comes to answering my age, I go by whichever comes later).

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 7:42 pm
It depends. With most of my family, the Hebrew one. One of my kids hebrew one falls in the nine days so we celebrate whenever it's convenient, sometime in between the English and Hebrew one.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:12 am
Neither. My birthday just passes by with no events or fanfare. Ditto for any gift from husband
Then again that’s my everyday life with him. No connection or relationship
I want and try. He has zero emotions and those are his words

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:18 am
My mil looks up every child's bday on every calendar she can find - any excuse to celebrate! Smile

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:54 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Both. Also, we have what we call "birthday shabbos." We started this before thete were kids and it is a lot of fun to see what people pick . On the shabbos closest to one of the birthdays (whichever makes most sense practically), the celebrant gets a menu of their favorites, and a special dessert of their choosing. This year I decided that dds were old enough to do mine themselves. I kept the menu simple and told them to feel free to raid the freezer for challah and soup, but I got Friday off!
[b]

We do this too!

Oldest child is born on a Yom Tov and therefore gets many celebrations because we split that Y"T between parents and in laws and each grandmother bakes a cake. Then we do birthday Shabbos at home and some years we do something for friends too.

Younger kids who are in school get the usual school party with cupcakes plus a celebration at home. Babies/toddlers get a Sunday brunch or dinner with grandparents and any additional family members who are available, more of an excuse to get together than because babies need a party. These parties are scheduled for convenience and are not necessarily bo bayom.

DH usually gets a favorite weeknight dinner that's more of a patchke than my usual. The kids make him cards, etc. We usually celebrate his Hebrew birthday except when inconvenient.

I get a birthday Shabbos made by DH with some assistance from the kids, including hand drawn menus and costumes. They get really into it and I get the weekend off! I love it more than any physical gift they could buy. This Shabbos usually takes place somewhere in the realm of my birthday but is scheduled for the convenience of DH when he knows he'll have a lighter week at work and more time to cook.

polka dots

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 7:32 am
I'm from the 1% that chose whichever comes 2nd. By the first one I'm like "shoots, I forgot to buy,make anything for dh birthday, but isn't it great he has another one coming up?"
And then I plan for the next one
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics