Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is it normal for a lot of kids to be tutored
Previous  1  2

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:51 pm
Because ideally math and reading should be taught in small groups , not as a whole class (contrary to what a previous poster claims.) So many different skill levels in a class. There are at least 3!!! And reading and math should be hands on and give everyone an opportunity to participate in a meaningful way, which is very difficult in a whole class setting.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:20 pm
I've taught for many years in ps. So, when I have such varying reading levels I actually have 4 or 5 small groups to meet with. Which means there is no way I can meet with all groups each day. Which means some kids are expected to work totally on their own the entire lesson, for an hour and a half. This is early elementary btw. And believe me. My math class is all about manipulative and math games. But the struggling kids are not going to be successful when they meet with me for 15 minutes and are expected to use those to solve complicated problems on their own, for upwards of an hour.
You are oversimplifying things majorly, this past year I had 2 students who were pre readers, a bunch 1-2 years below grade level, a bunch on grade level, then a bunch anywhere from 1-3 grade levels ahead. But even the top kids had terrible writing skills. Because like it or not, good writing calls for a lot of modeling. Ever heard of writer's workshop?
Just curious about the class that you teach....
I've also been in education long enough to see trends come and go.
This method has a couple more years to go, then a study will come out with something old repackaged as something new and will be touted as "the" newest and best method. Or "best practice" I should say, just another buzz word.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:57 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
all academic levels are in the same classroom whereas in a non Jewish private school or even public school kids are on more of the same socioeconomic level,........
(I personally work in a school, so yes I feel I have a pretty accurate viewpoint)

Sorry, but public schools dont do a better job than yeshivas(except in the good schools(which are in the minority)). Kids with same socioeconomic conditions does not mean they are on the same academic level.

Scores of public school students are usually lower than yeshivas except for some honors academies that do have homogeneous classes. Other than those special programs, public school students are heterogeneous and teachers are supposed to "differentiate" so everyone can learn(which no teacher has been successful at this due to kids levels all over the place with large(32) classes.

Op, if you see kids in the school being pulled out, well, whats wrong with an entire class being pulled out to work with different teachers??? Wouldnt you prefer your child get more attention such that one teacher with 5 kids can help kids be more successful, especially for core subjects like math or reading???

Truthfully, nobody knows the "best" way bec then they would know how to take very low level students,all different levels, and get them on grade level with high scores. And, then no kids would ever fall behind. But, this is not reality. Most kids need tutors or are just weak in certain subjects and are not getting enough help in a class of 32 with one teacher. Its really impossible. So, if you see kids getting more individual attention, whats wrong with that? Each school has a model that they think works best.

flmommy

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:00 pm
I would want to know if parents pay for the tutors or kids are getting pulled out and it’s covered by the school. I would have an issue with the first option.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics