Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please post your Food Safety tips here...
Previous  1  2

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 2:39 am
Cooked a big pot of something and want to chill it quickly? Block your sink and put pot in sink, fill the sink (not the pot!) with cold water. Don't keep a lid on and stir it. If you have lots of ice in freezer, add to water bath.
Quick chilling prevents bacteria growth.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 3:30 am
Don't start cooking big pots of soup or stew in the evening, unless you have a plentiful supply of ice. Start cooking in morning, to give them time to cool down enough to refrigerate. (commercial kitchens have cooling machines in case you are wondering).

You can also cook chicken soup overnight. Or peel all the veggies in the evening, leave them soaking overnight, and start cooking in the morning.

Another way to cool down big pots of food is to put them in several smaller pots or containers.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 3:57 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
The dull less shiny side of the foil should touch the food not the other way, ex:wrapping a sandwich, covering a tray of pot etc.

Can you explain why?
My organic chemistry teacher made a point of facing the shiny side to what we were heating (it wasn't food) because he said it heats faster. Since that experience I've always heated with the shiny side facing the food.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:23 am
If you can, educate your family members to think first what they want from the fridge and then open it. I always tell DH there is no need to ventilate the fridge and close door quickly, especially in the summer. Keeps fridge temp steadier.
Eggs: should always be removed from the paper carton and put in plastic egg cradle or similar. Egg cartons can transfer salmonella. And never wash eggs and then store them in fridge, the egg shells are permeable and bacteria which is on the shell may contaminate the white and yolk. If you use them for chulent you wash them before but then you cook them immediately too.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:35 am
And another thing which seems so basic but: make sure you always wash hands with soap and water before starting with all food preparations. Always. And that goes for DH and everyone who wants to help (especially the little ones)

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:36 am
Garbage bags are not food safe.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:51 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Bring soups, sauces, and gravies to a boil when reheating. Even if you only want to eat it at room temperature.

Why?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:32 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Why?

No idea lol. It's what my mother always does, and it's a big rule in the house. I think theres a big possibility of bad bacteria accumulating in the soup/sauce/gravy, so boiling it up will kill them. I know this is for sure true with fleishig soups.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen