Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone living in Zurich interested in homeschooling?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 10:17 am
Particularly for 1-3 sek girls. Very disappointed with education and would like to offer the girls in this town a bit more. Sorry I'm posting anonymously. If you live in Zurich I don't have to explain why.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 5:46 pm
Yes, I would.
But it's illegal to homeschool unless you're teacher with a "PH". And I don't have one.
I looked into it for my elementary school child.
I don't know enough about "Sek" schooling.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:14 am
I wanted to homeschool my son, looked into it and decided it's just too complicated. Maybe I should have tried harder because he has learned basically nothing in chol in the past three years.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:42 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I wanted to homeschool my son, looked into it and decided it's just too complicated. Maybe I should have tried harder because he has learned basically nothing in chol in the past three years.

Can’t you teach him at home even if it’s not “official”, reading and math. Everything else can be learnt through these 2 subjects

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:46 am
As far as I understood, homeschooling is now legal. It's a law that changed in the last few years, I'm not aware that it's dependent on anything. Was looking for sek aged girls who are underchallenged in school.
For anyone who wants to supplement chol education its really not difficult. There are frum teachers here who teach British GCSE and A level courses. If you start early enough it's not difficult to finish and if your child has interest and likes learning you'll find that it will satisfy them and give them some opportunities for higher education and employment later in life.
In general parents here are way too quiet about the lack of development in schools here. Don't be afraid to say something, of course bsholom but things are slowly shifting here and now is the time to speak up.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:20 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Can’t you teach him at home even if it’s not “official”, reading and math. Everything else can be learnt through these 2 subjects

When, exactly?

Grada, this child learned a ton by himself and through asking his teachers who were thrilled to have one child who was interested in learning. But it's still not the same as three years in a classroom.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 3:32 pm
When, exactly?

Grada, this child learned a ton by himself and through asking his teachers who were thrilled to have one child who was interested in learning. But it's still not the same as three years in a classroom.

How old is your son?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 3:48 pm
If you want to homeschool you need a teacher who made the PH. You also can't teach more then 5 kids in a time.

https://vsa.zh.ch/internet/bil......html

Do you have a PH?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 4:23 pm
When, exactly?

READ, READ, READ about everything and anything. That and a good math text book a bit above grade level so the child is challenged

What time does child get home from school

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 3:51 am
My son is finishing school this year, it's not relevant for him anymore. I was just venting.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:24 am
My son is finishing school this year, it's not relevant for him anymore. I was just venting.

And then what?
They finish school early here and that's it with the chol education. Did you know that someone here was trying to open a yeshiva high school?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:55 am
Yes, I know. According to the way they presented it, though, it's not going to be teaching chol either. Rather, those who want to learn chol on their own time will not be discouraged from doing so.

Regardless, my husband holds beshitta that teenage bochurim (from age 15/16 or so) should be spending their time exclusively in Torah-learning and can catch up the chol that they need for professional studies at a later point. Of course, that assumed that the boys would have learned at least the basics in school, which to our distress they haven't.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:03 am
Yes, I know. According to the way they presented it, though, it's not going to be teaching chol either. Rather, those who want to learn chol on their own time will not be discouraged from doing so.

Regardless, my husband holds beshitta that teenage bochurim (from age 15/16 or so) should be spending their time exclusively in Torah-learning and can catch up the chol that they need for professional studies at a later point. Of course, that assumed that the boys would have learned at least the basics in school, which to our distress they haven't.

In your opinion why are they not learning the basics?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:07 am
1) Most parents don't care about chol, which leads to
2) the kids' impossible behavior, which makes it impossible for the teachers to teach.

My kids have come home from school extremely frustrated by their classmates' behavior which prevented the teachers from teaching some really interesting things that they personally wanted to know. But most parents couldn't care less.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:58 am
1) Most parents don't care about chol, which leads to
2) the kids' impossible behavior, which makes it impossible for the teachers to teach.

My kids have come home from school extremely frustrated by their classmates' behavior which prevented the teachers from teaching some really interesting things that they personally wanted to know. But most parents couldn't care less.

Is this true in both boys schools?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:06 am
No
My son goes to the Litvish school.
He has a very rowdy class, but those who want to learn get to learn and the others get sent to the principal.
Also, the Rebbe makes it a point to tell the children to be Tzaddikim and ignore their friends distracting behaviour. Which my son does, yet afterwards complains how hard it is and let's off all the pent up frustration at home.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:17 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
No
My son goes to the Litvish school.
He has a very rowdy class, but those who want to learn get to learn and the others get sent to the principal.

Yekkish. Wink You can probably count the Litvaks in this town on one hand.

My sons are in the chassidish school. The lower classes work fine when it comes to chol - till about 4th grade. After that it goes haywire.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:27 am
Tangerine, I'm assuming your son goes to the other school? Anyone ever thought of suggesting a curriculum or asking to see the syllabus for each class. We need to ask those obvious questions here. There is basically no competition with regard to schools here so they don't really need to strive for excellence, parents have no choice so the schools don't go out of their way to develop their goals.
Parents need to be more proactive. Don't complain but suggest and keep at it please. And come up with reasonable suggestions, workable goals. Be constructive.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:39 am
We've been informed of the syllabus a few times. So what, it's all a joke. The teachers can't teach the syllabus because the classes are mostly out of control.

Swiss education as a whole, btw, is not on such a high level either. The Swiss are looking to produce honest, upstanding workers, not great intellectuals. The only place you can get a decent education is the gymi. Our schools are never going to be gymis, they don't have the budget for it.

Nevertheless, they could certainly do better than they're doing now.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:37 am
We've been informed of the syllabus a few times. So what, it's all a joke. The teachers can't teach the syllabus because the classes are mostly out of control.

Swiss education as a whole, btw, is not on such a high level either. The Swiss are looking to produce honest, upstanding workers, not great intellectuals. The only place you can get a decent education is the gymi. Our schools are never going to be gymis, they don't have the budget for it.

Nevertheless, they could certainly do better than they're doing now.

We don't need gymi's. We need our children's potential brought out. We need to come with workable suggestions not "give up" attitudes or complaints. We need to demand that our kids get well educated not for the exams they might take or the titles they can receive but for their own personal development.
Apart from that these days bored kids end up craving for screens and looking for entertainment and stimulation in places we don't want them to be. That's what we need to stress.
C'mon ladies we're not going to give up!
If you're dissatisfied please do something, make a noise. Nothing will happen if parents don't ask for it and we need to come united.
It takes a lot of koiches but bsiyata dishmaya if we keep asking in a constructive way things will change.
Machon Chen is now an accepted institution and that took a lot of sweat and tears. It can be done for boys too.
Just don't give up!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics