Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Does such a community exist?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:40 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I have actually heard that both HAC and YDT have closed registration for the upcoming school year. Please don't move anywhere unless you have schools set up beforehand.

Registration closed a long time ago.
And anyway, people moving here need to have local utility bills in their names by the edchoice deadline.
BUT many grades are full, and the schools (for sure YDT, but heard about HAC too) aren't accepting families that have children in breads that are maxed out.
So the first thing to do if you are contemplating moving to Cleveland, is call the school early in and ask if they have room in your kid's grades! And then find out when the deadline is.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:44 pm
If you don't want hot weather, don't move to Memphis and definitely not to Atlanta....

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:45 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
edchoice doesn't cover the full cost of tuition. If parents earn less then a certain amount the school can't charge the difference. Lets say tuition is 12,000, ed choice is 4,000 and you can't charge the rest if parents are low income. That's an 8,000 deficit for each child that moves in and if the community becomes the go to place for such people to come to in droves you now need more classes- more teachers, bigger building... the community's resources are also spread thinner because now there are more people needing tzedakah...

I think that's true that does spread the resources thinner, but I hate that attitude

Many, many of the low-income community members contribute to the community in other ways- being rebbis, rabbanim, moros, teachers, organizers of organizations, majorly involved volunteers for tzedakah and bikur cholim organizations, mikvaos, shuls, and schools... Both men and women. They are not just leeches ch"v.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:57 pm
my post was in response to "doesn't the school get vouchers (money) from the state for the kids - they'll be getting money whether the parents have a job or not, isn't that true?"
Someone wanted to know why would the schools care if parents have jobs or not.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:06 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Atlanta?

While Atlanta is a great community, there are no vouchers and school is expensive. Also, houses are nowhere near 200k. Closer to 400k and you're still looking at work to update it.

DallasIma

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:44 pm
Try looking into Dallas (but I am older and my kids are all grown and far away and they weren't raised here so you would have to ask someone else about details of schools and such). I love this community. Been here 15.5 years.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:55 pm
Quote:
houston except there are no vouchers that I know of although education is definitely cheaper then the northeast. the weather is spring for 8 months of the year and intense summer for 4 months of the year

I love Houston, but just so there's no confusion
There are no vouchers and tuition is 10k+
The neighborhood is not dangerous perse but I definitely wouldn't say it's safe. Women should for sure not walk out at night alone, cars are broken into weekly and things left outside are very often stolen.
I've lived here for many, many years and there are definitely wonderful things about the city and frum community, but I'm only stating the truth

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:22 pm
scranton PA?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:54 pm
JessD wrote:
Thanks ladies!

(In case this helps other people in a same situation)

So cleveland is top of our list now cuz it does meet all the other requirements but I’m praying there’s somewhere with less intense weather

In Detroit I know people don’t walk at night alone and some carry guns to shul for safety sooo that’s a red flag for me as far as how safe they feel there.

Baltimore housing is 350k for a private home in a safe area =\ and still might need work.

I live in Detroit and I have literally no idea what you’re talking about.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I live in Detroit and I have literally no idea what you’re talking about.

Me too!
I know there are guns in some shuls, but that is only because of the shul attacks in CA and PA. Nothing to do with Detroit being so dangerous.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:20 pm
Chicago

Minus the weather and house will be closer to 350, but you can get a 3bed/2bath condo in winston towers for under 200k.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:39 pm
Passaic/Clifton? Amazing community !

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:03 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Passaic/Clifton? Amazing community !

Housing is not remotely in that range.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:35 pm
Are salaries higher in Passaic/ Clifton which can make the difference if housing costs more? What do houses go for there?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:05 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Echoing everything she said. Just want to re-emphasize- DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB! If I am not mistaken the schools will
Not be accepting new students if the parents move without a job. There simply is no way the schools can have enough resources for all the families who are strapped for cash.

We are thinking of moving there. What kind of jobs are people looking for that are hard to find? DH has a CPA. And currently working in finance.

lcraighten

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:04 am
What about Northeast Philadelphia?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:23 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Quote:
houston except there are no vouchers that I know of although education is definitely cheaper then the northeast. the weather is spring for 8 months of the year and intense summer for 4 months of the year

I love Houston, but just so there's no confusion
There are no vouchers and tuition is 10k+
The neighborhood is not dangerous perse but I definitely wouldn't say it's safe. Women should for sure not walk out at night alone, cars are broken into weekly and things left outside are very often stolen.
I've lived here for many, many years and there are definitely wonderful things about the city and frum community, but I'm only stating the truth

I lived there for 3 years and that’s definitely all true. We mamash had a boon flair high chair (that’s not a small box!) delivered to us and stolen off my front porch before we got home in broad daylight
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating