Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Very hot, why?
Previous  1  2

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:09 pm
Tichellady please don't delete.... Made for a wonderful unintended double entendre on "low mercury"!

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:12 pm
I found parking. I think it's a sign that Moshiach is coming.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:28 pm
nchr wrote:
NY is barely ever hot. It's not a big deal, except for the homeless or elderly and potentially those without a/c. Its not that hot.

Feels hot to me! Really, quite unbearably hot. Like just going in and out of the car today was a miserable experience even though I wasn't fasting so I could drink cold water from my insulated water bottle.

pause

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:36 pm
It was a realfeel here of 113.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:41 pm
Moshiach now-- in any weather!

rivkeyb

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:00 pm
its more hot in the NY then Israel TMI

I live in Jerusalem, went to pickup my kids from play group, made a stop at the grocery when I came home I needed to take a shower emergency, now imagine the heat in NY now, you cant leave a dog outside!

Climate Change LOL

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thinking about this perhaps Hashem is taking away the shield from the sun, because Moshiach is very close
Just an idea

My dh asked me why it’s so hot on a fast day and it’s going to get much cooler tomorrow...I said maybe Hashem wants to reward us with even bigger schar for fasting during more difficult circumstances.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:30 pm
nchr wrote:
NY is barely ever hot. It's not a big deal, except for the homeless or elderly and potentially those without a/c. Its not that hot.

Huh???? Heat index of 110, all week in the 90’s, and that’s what you say???

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:35 am
DrMom wrote:
Seasonally appropriate weather here in Israel.

72F in London. Not hot at all.

75F and rainy in Mexico City today.

US is not the entire world

It was 72F here yesterday too and it's winter. It poured last night, so now it's down to the high 50's.
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Growing up in Australia, this weather was a normal part of our summer. Cracks me up that the whole country here practically shuts down for it.

Is it humid too?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:51 am
thanks wrote:
Source that the weather is affected by Moshiach's coming?
I keep hearing things like this, and have yet to hear a source.

It probably originates from Avoda Zara 3b: "Rabbi Shimon ben Lakish says: There is no Gehenna in the World-to-Come. Rather, the Holy One, Blessed be He, will remove the sun from its sheath , where it is situated during these times, and heats that world with it. The wicked will be punished by it and consumed by the heat, but the righteous will be healed by it.". But I don't know of a source that things predicted to happen in the World to Come are, when they happen in this world, a sign that the next one is about to begin.

There is also a source that the sun was once in the past "removed from its sheath", Bava Metzia 86b says that this was on the day that the three angels came to visit Avraham, so that human guests would not come to trouble him after his circumcision, Rashi refers to this on Bereshit 18:1

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:56 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Huh???? Heat index of 110, all week in the 90’s, and that’s what you say???

Its summer. Do you want it to be 60?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note