Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Architect

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 1:50 pm
anyone know anything about careers in architecture, training what the job is like etc?

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 2:03 pm
What do you want to know?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 2:16 pm
I have a friend studying it at the AA school of architecture in London so I know a bit. It is a good job but it is a lot of work, and I don't know your educational background. I'm not sure what you need, but I think it helps to have a qualification in design whether that's from school or college on entry. I think you will need to submit a portfolio of some sort. It takes about 7 YEARS to study to become an architect, and even then, it is not always easy to find work on a stable basis.
I would never study it, one may as well study medicine if they are going to spend all those years studying and then you will have a higher salary as a doctor and always be in work - not necessarily as an architect. To be an architect, you need many skills as it is a demanding, time consuming job requiring commitment and focus. You will need to be good at maths and also rather good at art - at least, you need to be good at drawing. You must have a good sense of space, ratio and good common sense.
Once an architect has worked for many years the salary can be quite high, but it's up to how often people choose to hire you with regard to how often you are in work. Even as an architect's career progresses, it is down to the merit they achieve for their name that helps them get hired. In addition, the job is stressful, not easy going, with pressures. You are accountable for your planning and you cannot afford to make any mistakes. You run according to a time plan and it can be a heavy workload. I admire those who do it.

I don't mean to detract you from looking into or pursuing this career, but to let you know what the career is like and what the demands are. Is this something that just came into your mind, or is it something you really want to do and can commit to the training and beyond? If you have a passion for design and construction and really do see yourself doing this then research it more and if you like what you see then go for it - but it is something you must have talent in AND a passion to do it, you wouldn't be accepted otherwise.

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 2:21 pm
Amother above, are you talking specifically about London, or also in the US? Because actually, one can become a licensed architect with no schooling at all. It all depends on how many years one is apprenticed under a licensed architect. The more years of schooling, the fewer years needed to be apprenticed.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 2:31 pm
Maya wrote:
Amother above, are you talking specifically about London, or also in the US? Because actually, one can become a licensed architect with no schooling at all. It all depends on how many years one is apprenticed under a licensed architect. The more years of schooling, the fewer years needed to be apprenticed.

I don't know about the US, but how could one work as an architect without training? I don't think that would be allowed, and who would hire someone untrained? In the UK, it is 7 years of training to gain the title architect (lots to learn) so how could someone be able to work as an architect with no training?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 2:40 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/s.....shtml

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 2:53 pm
I knew some people in college who studied architecture (in the US) - the training was very intense. I am sure anyone who is successful feels an extraordinary sense of accomplishment.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 6:15 pm
You really should google it and look it up online instead of on imamother!

AFAIK it's not a good time for architects right now. Lots and lots of study (US and Israel knowledge here) and difficulty getting jobs from what I know. My cousin wanted to study it and isn't.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:49 am
bump. my son is thinking of architecture, is it possible to become lecensed without the intensive schooling? what are the schooling options. I am in nyc.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:57 am
Schooling is BRUTAL. Years of work until you get liscenced and are technically an architect. Salary is not all that good unless you make it big. Interior designers are taking in more of the work these days. Engineering is more money and more stable. Construction is where the money is.

Its a wonderful field ONLY if you LOVE it. They put you through the equivalent of medical school, without the monetary reward or stable work prospects at the end.

It helps to enjoy or be good at perfectionism, math, 3d spacial awareness, drawing, functioning on no sleep, loving to spend all your waking hours doing homework. But you could get through with just determination and passion.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
bump. my son is thinking of architecture, is it possible to become lecensed without the intensive schooling? what are the schooling options. I am in nyc.

If this info is still applicable to your son's dream.

As the rules stand now it is possible to become a RA without any schooling (this may sound crazy but really schooling in architecture is not giving you the real skills needed to be a good architect) 12 years of experience under a registered architect and passing the ARE exam will get you registered,the years of experience can be reduced and qualify you for the exam based on what degree you have, they changed some rules few years ago and if I am not mistaking you get take the exam with 3 years of practice if you have a bachelor in architecture, so I would say it's by far not as hard as medical school which requires more schooling and much harder internship.

Engineering is easier schooling I believe but for sure not more money and as with any business venue some professionals earn minimum and some use their business skills and turn their talent into a goldmine and of course all is only with good mazel

barbara1

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
If this info is still applicable to your son's dream.

As the rules stand now it is possible to become a RA without any schooling (this may sound crazy but really schooling in architecture is not giving you the real skills needed to be a good architect) 12 years of experience under a registered architect and passing the ARE exam will get you registered,the years of experience can be reduced and qualify you for the exam based on what degree you have, they changed some rules few years ago and if I am not mistaking you get take the exam with 3 years of practice if you have a bachelor in architecture, so I would say it's by far not as hard as medical school which requires more schooling and much harder internship.

Engineering is easier schooling I believe but for sure not more money and as with any business venue some professionals earn minimum and some use their business skills and turn their talent into a goldmine and of course all is only with good mazel

Thad is not true as I went trough all the schooling and most states wont accept the 12 years of experience U will nee an architectural degree to be allowed to take the are exams

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 9:06 pm
This response was for someone asking in nyc, so I am not sure why most states matter, this is NYS who is indeed different than most
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics