Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lingering diarrhea, refuses to give up yogurts

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:02 am
My 3 year old had a virus 2 weeks ago, first throwing up then diarrhea. Since then for about a week and a half her diapers have all been interesting, some loose, some mushy or piece-y. Interesting colors. And about 3 a day which is more than her usual 1 before the virus. But all not terrible. And she's hungry, no other symptoms. The dr said she should stay away from dairy because that prolongs it, but the problem is she loves yogurts, it was hard enough to keep her away from them during the actual virus. She literally has a fit...
Any suggestions??

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:17 am
dairy can be literally addictive, partially digested proteins from casein enter the bloodstream and act as low level opioids so it really makes sense that kids are so attached to their dairy.

so delicious makes a nice coconut milk yogurt, and the forages has a good cashew milk yogurt, you can try those and see if she goes for them. good luck!

jfk92

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:19 am
My son LOVES LOVES LOVES yogurt. But we were also told to stay clear of dairy. I give him coconut yogurt. He cant tell the difference. There are plenty of dairy free options nowadays bh. P.s. if you arent giving a probiotic id recommend looking into it.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:20 am
If you don't have yogurt at home she can't exactly go to the store and buy it herself, right? IMO if you want to limit kids' access to something you simply can't have it available at home altogether. You can sympathize and say, I know you love yogurt, you want more, mommy is going to buy more a different day. But don't keep it around if it's not good for her.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:22 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
dairy can be literally addictive, 7 digested proteins from casein enter the bloodstream and act as low level opioids so it really makes sense that kids are so attached to their dairy.

so delicious makes a nice coconut milk yogurt, and the forages has a good cashew milk yogurt, you can try those and see if she goes for them. good luck!

There is absolutely no proof of that t.

o get from the intestine to the brain it would have to go through the blood and no one has ever found opioids in the blood related to eating dairy

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:22 am
Lots of non-dairy yogurts to choose from. Some are highly sweetened so read the label if you're limiting sugar. We had to avoid gluten in a similar situation as that, bc it was prolonging the diarrhea. Refuah shlaima

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:23 am
I'm in Israel. The only non dairy options I've seen here are soy and taste gross. Is there something else?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:29 am
ectomorph wrote:
There is absolutely no proof of that t.

o get from the intestine to the brain it would have to go through the blood and no one has ever found opioids in the blood related to eating dairy
Casomorphin peptides derived from cows milk binding to opioid receptors in the brain is an established scientific fact.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:31 am
Casomorphin peptides derived from cows milk binding to opioid receptors in the brain is an established scientific fact.

Not from kids eating dairy it isn't. It would be easy to do the bloodwork.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:32 am
ectomorph wrote:
Not from kids eating dairy it isn't. It would be easy to do the bloodwork.
what bloodwork?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:39 am
what bloodwork?

Kids eating dairy doesn't make opioids that go to the brain. You would be able to find such opioids in the blood if that was the case, and no one has.

This is a popular fake theory for Autism. But not a single child with autism has been shown to have casein opioids in their blood. It would need to be in the blood to reach the brain, you see.

Do you need me to explain this more simply?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:51 am
ectomorph wrote:
Kids eating dairy doesn't make opioids that go to the brain. You would be able to find such opioids in the blood if that was the case, and no one has.

This is a popular fake theory for Autism. But not a single child with autism has been shown to have casein opioids in their blood. It would need to be in the blood to reach the brain, you see.

Do you need me to explain this more simply?
First of all, we don't know yet if they've been found in bloodwork, because no data has been published on this. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2.....60919

second of all, there are opioid receptors right in the gi tract

polka dots

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:00 am
For me giving kids bananas usually did the trick for diarrhea. The diet is BRAT bananas, maybe rice?,apples, and something else Smile
I wouldn’t take away yogurts, it’s a good healthy food. Maybe try giving more bananas- works every time

jfk92

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm in Israel. The only non dairy options I've seen here are soy and taste gross. Is there something else?

Sorry should have mentioned this earlier. You can make your own coconut yogurt. Its not difficult but takes time (24 hours). And you can control how you sweeten it. I realize its not ideal, but you may want to look into it.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:12 am
First of all, we don't know yet if they've been found in bloodwork, because no data has been published on this. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2.....60919

second of all, there are opioid receptors right in the gi tract

There are also sugar receptors and protein receptors. The whole point of the GI tract is to put nutrition into the blood, you see. That's how the digestive system feeds the body.

That study is from 2012 and if they had found dairy derived morphine in the blood, you would have known about it.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:20 am
Wow OP,
I bet you didn't think your question would turn into a heated discussion about dairy. Seems like there are less and less threads that don't turn into arguments, here on imamother. Hope you can find the suggestions or advice that you were actually looking for.

naomi2

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:43 am
dont buy it for a few days. it will be easier for you to say no yogurts if you cant cave in when she tantrums. tell her you will go to the store after shobbos and buy more but for now there are no more in the fridge.

baltomom

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:51 am
I don't know if or how this might be helpful to you, but when my toddler was recovering from a stomach virus and wanted to drink milk my pediatrician advised giving Lactaid skim milk, since the two irritants in milk are lactose and fat. Maybe you can give fat-free yogurt with Lactaid?

dena613

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 4:29 pm
Brat diet (to counteract diarrhea) if I remember correctly is plain
Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics