Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Getting white shirts white
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 9:25 am
daisy wrote:
Would Cascade powder work too?

That stuff is really scary, BTW. Anything that powerful can't be that safe, but it's the only thing that cleans my dishes in the dishwasher.
The gel is the one that does the whitening trick.

Mevater

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 5:13 am
A while back I bought Cascade gel when I read this thread and soaked DH's beautiful Tyrwhitt shirts in some of it.

I ended up bleaching out the monogram, but it didnt bleach the navy blue letters evenly, it became lighter and darker shades of P I N K.

This was years ago, so I forgot what happened to the shirts I soaked in Cascade gel.

So this week when I came across the Cascade in a cabinet, I used it again.

I got the same result as a few years ago, the monogram on stunning Tyrwhitt shirts became uneven shades of pink.

I think the last time I tried to make the shades of pink monogram an even white, by using bleach with a Q tip only on the monogram, I ripped that area.

Uggggggggggggh.

How do I get the pink to become white now?

polka dots

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 4:30 pm
I’ve seen that quality shirts stay white longer.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 4:32 pm
Copper, sorry to hear about the monograms changing color.
Cascade has since changed their formula, there's no more real gel, and I don't use it anymore on whites. But it sounds like it was used on a colored monogram?
You can use Rit color remover in a pot on the stove. Such a shame the sleeves became pink.

Mevater

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Copper, sorry to hear about the monograms changing color.
Cascade has since changed their formula, there's no more real gel, and I don't use it anymore on whites. But it sounds like it was used on a colored monogram?
You can use Rit color remover in a pot on the stove. Such a shame the sleeves became pink.

Thanks.

Im a little annoyed with Tyrwhitt because it may be common sense, but they dont tell you that monogrammed shirts shouldnt be bleached. I read up today and now I know theres bleach-proof embroidery thread, but they clearly dont use bleach-proof embroidery thread.

mochamix18

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:58 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Bleach damages the fabric.

Get your hands on Vanish oxy action, with warm water... overnight... works wonders!

This is exactly what I use. It’s similar to oxy in the US. I would caution you to make sure it’s well dissolved in the water. The crystals have dyes in them that have permanently damaged my clothing when not well dissolved in the water.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:31 am
Not meant to hyjack this thread; I have a similar question for the balabustas here on this thread;

I Recently bought a dozen of brand new white shirts for my husband.

Which laundry detergent to use, and machine washing instructions, in order to keep the color sparkling white and prevent it from turning yellow or grey within time as per my previus experiences.

Our issue is not that of stains nor ring around the collar. It's just to keep the original white color.

TIA

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:19 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Not meant to hyjack this thread; I have a similar question for the balabustas here on this thread;

I Recently bought a dozen of brand new white shirts for my husband.

Which laundry detergent to use, and machine washing instructions, in order to keep the color sparkling white and prevent it from turning yellow or grey within time as per my previus experiences.

Our issue is not that of stains nor ring around the collar. It's just to keep the original white color.

TIA

Use 2 scoops of Oxiclean White Revive in every load (keep the load exclusive to the white shirts, don't include other laundry).
Check the label and see if the shirts can handle warm setting and if so that makes the Oxi work better.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Use 2 scoops of Oxiclean White Revive in every load (keep the load exclusive to the white shirts, don't include other laundry).
Check the label and see if the shirts can handle warm setting and if so that makes the Oxi work better.

Ra_mom, thank you so much for responding.
Was desperately hoping that you'd chime in...

One more question; Do I wash the shirts on the regular wash cycle or on the permenant press cycle which is assumingly less tough on the fabric?
BTW, the shirts are 100% cotton.

Thanks again.

HelloG

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:49 pm
e1234 wrote:
How do you get kids white shirts to look white again?

if anyone here knows of Israeli detergents even better.
Please share your tips.

bizz powder and oxi powder dissolved in a bit of hot water. then add cold water and soak.
my best laundry trick

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:17 am
Ra_mom, thank you so much for responding.
Was desperately hoping that you'd chime in...

One more question; Do I wash the shirts on the regular wash cycle or on the permenant press cycle which is assumingly less tough on the fabric?
BTW, the shirts are 100% cotton.

Thanks again.

Permanent press is good. It starts off warm and ends with cold.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 3:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Use in every load (keep the load exclusive to the white shirts, don't include other laundry).

Do I add the 2 scoops of Oxiclean White Revive in addition to my regular laundry detergent or do I us the Oxiclean White Revive alone as the only detergent for this purpose.

If you suggest I add it to my regular detergent, which detergent would you recommend I use for the shirts and also for whites in general.
Thanks again Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 3:59 pm
Do I add the 2 scoops of Oxiclean White Revive in addition to my regular laundry detergent or do I us the Oxiclean White Revive alone as the only detergent for this purpose.

If you suggest I add it to my regular detergent, which detergent would you recommend I use for the shirts and also for whites in general.
Thanks again Smile

In addition to detergent. Place detergent in the detergent dispenser. Place the scoops of powder directly over the clothes in the washing machine.
Use it to keep your bright white loads, white. Not just shirts.

aricelli

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
In addition to detergent. Place detergent in the detergent dispenser. Place the scoops of powder directly over the clothes in the washing machine.
Use it to keep your bright white loads, white. Not just shirts.

White towels?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:32 pm
aricelli wrote:
White towels?

Sure! All white towel load.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:36 pm
Ra_mom thanks for your helpful inputs.
I was wondering which detergent you use in general for whites / darks / and mixed colors?
TIA
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry