Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Open Minded to less frum... and more??
  Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:57 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
The issue I have with the extra stringencies that people take upon themselves is that sometimes they double down on them while forgetting other halachos that are equally or possibly even more relevant to the situation. Not hurting people, not embarrassing people are actual halachos and in tough situations everything needs to be considered.

So you’re saying if people have struggles with certain areas of Halacha, where their yetzer hara might be stronger, they have no,right to take on stringincies in other areas like kashrut? Really?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:09 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
So you’re saying if people have struggles with certain areas of Halacha, where their yetzer hara might be stronger, they have no,right to take on stringincies in other areas like kashrut? Really?

Holding by specific hashgacha isnt a stringency. The hashgacha itself has specific stringencies.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:12 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I went back to read the original post because I didn't understand what you said, and now that I reread it I'm even more confused.

I have no way of knowing if the restaurant they went to was really not kosher, somewhat not kosher (they used rent-a-rabbi as their Rav hamachsher), or just not up to his chumros.

For arguments sake, let's assume he's not eating because of chumros. I have this scenario in my family a lot, as everyone eats different hechsherim. My brother, for example, has more chumros than we do. I think, that if we were making a family gathering, and we wanted to accommodate because we are menchlech people (people with good middos) we would make the family gathering at a place he would eat in. And I'm puzzled why anyone would do differently. Truly puzzled.

Of course he should go to a family gathering even if he doesn't eat the food. You really think it's better that he doesnt come at all? To a family get together? I'm really not following this.

You and everyone else here....

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I really don't care what other people eat, so long as they don't comment on ME or mine.

But what you're saying is very different from what the poster said.

You purchase heckshers that your father accepts, and he eats in your house. To be equivalent, your father would have to tell you that the level of kashrut in your home doesn't meet his standards, so he won't eat anything at all, even things that don't require a hecksher, and even things with a hecksher he approves of.

Because if the guy felt that it was a kosher restaurant, just not heckshers he used, he could have had a baked potato. Or a salad. Or salmon with no sauce. But no. He was taking the position that a potato baked in the oven of a restaurant that was sufficiently kosher for the woman the poster referred to as "frum" -- and, if I read between the lines correctly, for the poster herself -- was actually treyf for him. That goes beyond "I don't eat that hecksher."

Methinks thou protesth too much.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:17 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
There have been Gedolim who ate food that was made not in accordance with their strict chumras for the sake of shalom.

Name them and let’s hear what exactly they ate

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:20 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I'm stating an honest fact, but I take your point that my ahavas yisroel is probably lacking and a good area for me to work on in the future.

However, I'm NOT making the point that ahavas yisroel trumps all at all, but that honesty does, which was not contradicted by my post. This hypothetical man can eat or not eat whatever he likes, but for the sake of himself and his family, it would be very beneficial for HIM TO GET CLARITY on what is a custom and what is truly treif, meaning that the vessels it touches would require kashering... like the clickbait articles say, "The answer may truly surprise you!"

You’re making a huge assumption that he didn’t!!!!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:34 pm
Methinks thou protesth too much.

Perhaps you ought to reread Hamlet, to understand what that means. And to quote it correctly.`

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:46 pm
You’re making a huge assumption that he didn’t!!!!

According to Nishmat (Rabbi Da’vid Sperling):

Quote:
Based on what we have learned above, it seems that if someone is in a situation
requiring them to eat in a non-kosher restaurant, then they could eat there as
long as they are very selective about what they eat, limiting themselves to cold
raw fruits and vegetables (without the onions etc), and plain tea and coffee (see
above about what type of cup to use).

That's a NON-KOSHER restaurant, not an ostensibly kosher one using the wrong hecksher.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 11:38 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
That's a NON-KOSHER restaurant, not an ostensibly kosher one using the wrong hecksher.

That's great if you hold by Rabbi Sperling. But, many have other rabbanim they follow who hold differently.

He himself clearly writes that there are others such as R' Moshe Feinstein who hold otherwise. (He doesn't permit entering a non-kosher restaurant for any reason even to only eat kosher food, unless one is extremely famished, to the extent that it causes him severe discomfort.)

http://www.nishmat.co.il/lesson/28/
Page 12 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12 Recent Topics