Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Going rate for regular babysitter/mother's helper
Previous  1  2

kenz

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:44 pm
Chayalle wrote:
In the local daycamps, they seem to have the same tiered structure of paying more as the girls get older. 9th graders get x amount, 10th graders a bit more, etc...

I think it has to do with parents feeling a heightened sense of trust with an older girl, and they pay for that. When someone gets a high school senior or older as a babysitter, they are paying for that (and I know people who would not hire a younger babysitter to watch their kids, period.) It's a higher level of trust, like getting someone with more experience.

That being said, even 14-15 year olds get at least $10 an hour where I live, and if someone didn't pay at least the going rate, they would find themselves having a hard time getting babysitters.

In day camps usually the jobs are structured by age so they aren’t really doing identical things. It bothers me when we’re talking about identical jobs. My neighbor’s child was sleeping both times. The only difference was the age of my daughters. Though you’re right, if she had at least given my younger daughter $10/hr, which was the going rate, it probably wouldn’t have bothered her that much. This way she felt taken advantage of. And she was 14 or 15, not 12...
It’s not a huge issue here, it just resonated with this conversation and I often think of it when people complain about difficulty in finding babysitters. There’s 2 sides to everything...

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:52 pm
kenz wrote:
In day camps usually the jobs are structured by age so they aren’t really doing identical things. It bothers me when we’re talking about identical jobs. My neighbor’s child was sleeping both times. The only difference was the age of my daughters. Though you’re right, if she had at least given my younger daughter $10/hr, which was the going rate, it probably wouldn’t have bothered her that much. This way she felt taken advantage of. And she was 14 or 15, not 12...
It’s not a huge issue here, it just resonated with this conversation and I often think of it when people complain about difficulty in finding babysitters. There’s 2 sides to everything...

I generally got paid more when I got older because I was taking the harder jobs that you only hire a 16+ for , not a 12 year old, like 5 kids including a newborn (the mother said she only trusted me), or a family with special needs kids. By the time I was 16 I just wasn't accepting new families that needed a babysitter for 2 kids at $10 an hour. That may be the source for it. Your neighbor may pay the older one more because she knows she can get more from other people

kenz

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:40 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I generally got paid more when I got older because I was taking the harder jobs that you only hire a 16+ for , not a 12 year old, like 5 kids including a newborn (the mother said she only trusted me), or a family with special needs kids. By the time I was 16 I just wasn't accepting new families that needed a babysitter for 2 kids at $10 an hour. That may be the source for it. Your neighbor may pay the older one more because she knows she can get more from other people

Maybe. The problem really was that she underpaid the younger one considerably. The younger one wouldn’t have cared if she had gotten a bit less as long as it seemed fair.

Reality

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:48 pm
Honestly, this sounds like a slave-labor job. I would strongly discourage my child to ever take such a difficult job! No matter what the pay! And on top of that, you are offering bubkis!!

You are an adult and are struggling to care for so many babies!!! I don't think a teenager can handle this. You need to hire an adult and pay her real money.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:58 pm
Reality wrote:
Honestly, this sounds like a slave-labor job. I would strongly discourage my child to ever take such a difficult job! No matter what the pay! And on top of that, you are offering bubkis!!

You are an adult and are struggling to care for so many babies!!! I don't think a teenager can handle this. You need to hire an adult and pay her real money.

This was my favorite most rewarding thing to do as a teen. I’m not sure why you think it’s slave labor.

Reality

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:08 pm
Thunderstorm, did you miss the part where OP says she has 4 kids under 5? And she wants this teenager to take them to the park? ONE teenager??

This mom needs a break because it's too hard for her, an adult. And she wants to hire a teenager? No way. This is a job for an adult babysitter. And many adult babysitters wouldn't want to take the job because it's too much work.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:11 pm
4 kids under aged 5 needs 2 teens or an adult. Although 2 teens might end up chatting to one another more than taking care of the kids.

Purple2

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:07 am
I don’t think it’s safe to let one teen take 4 babies to the park herself. I wouldn’t let my daughter take the job.
Please re-evaluate op. Maybe you can find 2 girls to do chessed together.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 6:18 am
7 euros

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 6:29 am
Maybe you're better off finding a mother's helper to go to the park WITH you, or giving her only 2 kids.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 7:27 am
Reality wrote:
Thunderstorm, did you miss the part where OP says she has 4 kids under 5? And she wants this teenager to take them to the park? ONE teenager??

This mom needs a break because it's too hard for her, an adult. And she wants to hire a teenager? No way. This is a job for an adult babysitter. And many adult babysitters wouldn't want to take the job because it's too much work.

Yes , I did miss that part. Though I did watch 6 kids under age 7 but when it was time to go to the park or go on outings we did it with another teen or adult who came along.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 12:49 pm
I would try for 2-2.5 hours a day for that price.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:11 pm
kenz wrote:
Maybe. The problem really was that she underpaid the younger one considerably. The younger one wouldn’t have cared if she had gotten a bit less as long as it seemed fair.

Yes, I think the issue is that your neighbor took advantage of your daughter. And BTW, I once saw an article about his with questions to a Rav about babysitters, and it's quite possible your neighbor was in fact stealing by not paying the going rate at least. In Lakewood, a girl that age would get at least $10 an hour, and in some neighborhoods, maybe even $12 an hour.

I think she should've spoken up, or maybe you should've called the neighbor and let her know your feelings.

she probably knows by now, though, if she can't get anyone to babysit by her.

In terms of posts here about kids being too difficult or unruly, I always inquire about a family before I allow DD to babysit there. If there's anything about the situation that makes me uncomfortable, she is not available. My child's safety, sanity, and sense of wellbeing trumps everything else.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:15 pm
I pay my babysitters differently based on age even if it’s the exact same situations. It’s like hiring s secretary with no experience vs 5 years experience for the same exact job.

I was told that according to Halacha the safest is to discuss price before hiring babysitter because if you pay less then they expect it may be stealing. It’s hard though because you are putting them on the spot and often kids have a hard time being honest.

(To the op I think 4 under 5 in a park is too much for a teen to safetly watch)

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:22 pm
sky wrote:
I pay my babysitters differently based on age even if it’s the exact same situations. It’s like hiring s secretary with no experience vs 5 years experience for the same exact job.

I was told that according to Halacha the safest is to discuss price before hiring babysitter because if you pay less then they expect it may be stealing. It’s hard though because you are putting them on the spot and often kids have a hard time being honest.

(To the op I think 4 under 5 in a park is too much for a teen to safetly watch)

But this has nothing to do with age. My girls at 13 had more experience babysitting than some 18 yr olds. They learned first aid and knew to ask about important questions like if child has allergies.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:29 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
But this has nothing to do with age. My girls at 13 had more experience babysitting than some 18 yr olds. They learned first aid and knew to ask about important questions like if child has allergies.

I believe there is a maturity and life experience that comes with age at that point in life. I will pay 18 year old more then 13 year olds.
I don’t hire 13 yr old to watch my children. As mature as a child is I’m not sure they have descion making capabilities to handle emergencies or emotional situations.
If an 18 yr old doesn’t have the capabilities I wouldn’t be hiring her.

ETA and if I’m paying the same amount why bother with the 15 year old if I can get an 18 year old for the same price.
For example I would never leave a newborn with a babysitter under 16. Even over 16 I’m very cautious and rarely do. So rates are for sure going to be different.

Last edited by sky on Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:32 pm
What sky said.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics