Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Jewish entertainment & toys (or at least ‘pareve’)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 5:14 pm
Hi,

Hashkafically we lean towards RW/ chassidish hashkofos, not only our family but our community as a whole...

At the same time b”h we are a very welcoming community. The only downside is that many that don’t follow community standards feel totally comfortable where they are, & their children spread entertainment/ characters etc. completely not in our value system.
I teach my own kids that everyone’s different, every family has their minhogim & things they excel in, and some things are just not for us etc.
However I feel bad that when my kids want toys of violent nature, or cartoon /movie based characters I gently turn them down but feel I don’t have enough to replace it with.

Not looking for judgement here on our values or how we raise our kids, just looking for practical ideas / games / toys / entertainment to be exciting enuf that they don’t feel they’re missing out.

In particular having the hardest time with the boys. Girls can get nice & even tznius looking dolls, plus many toy figures just look more appropriate. The boys toys seem to all seem violent / scary and not childlike. Ninja, Batman etc. My boys are still relatively very little I don’t want them playing with monsters or muscular scary looking men. They don’t want that either. The want toys with toy figures /menchies that are just cute & boyish.

Outgrew Mitzva kinder, they like the shpielmans a little -but don’t totally relate as we don’t have long payos or streimels, they like lego munchies too. What else is out there??

(Obviously we have loads of building toys & trucks /cars etc. they’re looking more for ‘characters’ or something to sort of get obsessed with. Hope I’m explaining this well.)
And please be respectful. If you don’t ‘get it’ thats fine. Like I said we respect everyone. Please respect us too.

All ideas welcome.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 5:17 pm
totally agree! I go on websites like judaicaworld and look for good toys and games.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 5:18 pm
All sorts of matchbox cars
Playmobil sets

Those are pretty popular among young boys

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 5:29 pm
Lego City. Not other lego sets like Ninjago or star wars, but there is a Lego City series with helicopters, policemen, etc. Some bad guys too I think, but not a necessity, you can definitely build a steady collection without it. Amazon had some sets on sale today.
https://kosheronabudget.com/up.....sets/

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:00 pm
I just did some Amazon looking.. are you talking about something like this

Bruder Man Medium Skin White Jeans Toy Figure https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T.....395EN

Or this

Click N' Play CNP30640 Urban Firefighting 12"" Action Figure Play Set with Accessories, 12 inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G.....E4YTR

Maybe, if this is the right direction.. click into the brands (bruder and click n' play) and see what else they have.

Otherwise the Lego City might be good

Also.. I am totally not up with what's going on, but is it all kids tv shows, bc when I was looking for a fireman action figure, I saw a thing called fireman Sam... Which also reminds me of like Bob the builder.. are those types ok? Or not what your looking for?

Gerbera

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:08 pm
Why not get a bucket of army men? Or these firemen/policemen figures? My son loves these!

https://www.amazon.com/True-He.....r=8-5

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:19 pm
Thank you all for the replies!
So we have loads of cars & trucks both simple & sophisticated. My boys are the creative/ story making types.

Singleagain, those were great options, I just wish they’d have boy figures, not only men. Of course they like those too, but they’d absolutely love a little boy version of Polly pocket, or cute set of boy dolls like the girls have. Is that unusual? They won’t play with girl dolls or anything pink but would love it in boy versions.

I guess playmobil can really sort of fill this need -I have one small set only, I’m just wary of the tons of tiny pieces. As it is my boys have a hard time cleaning up /being responsible for their toys, and teeny tiny pieces around are already a nightmare. Same would go for little lego.
We do have some really cute & creative duplo sets.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:23 pm
About bob the builder etc. so there’s two things we’re careful with:
1. How the toy actually looks /impression it gives. Does it look violent or just not appropriate for a yiddishe home?
2. Is it connected to non jewish movies which I don’t want them getting into? So if it’s a cute toy & my kids would have no way of knowing it’s a famous character from a movie, I wouldn’t mind, but since a few kids in their class do watch, I wouldn’t want them coming over & saying, “Oh u have a toy from this movie...”

flmommy

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:25 pm
singleagain love those Bruder men action figures. My boys would have loved those when they were younger!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:49 pm
So I'm actually more "modern" and I totally understand what you're talking about. I also don't want to get my child any of the violent characters or such. I don't want his innocence to go away! He's such a sweet boy I wish I could keep that all away from him for forever.

I do get him character things though. He's never seen paw patrol but has paw patrol toys. Are you worried that your kids will want to start watching the shows if they find out that the toys are from tv/movie characters?

It's not like my child has never seen a TV before. Outside of our house he's watched the occasional curious george episode or something similar. He just doesn't watch TV at home. We play and read books and such.

How old are your children?

btw you may just have to deal with the messiness of playmobile if that seems like something your kids will be into. It may just be worth it for you so you can avoid purchasing the other stuff....

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:52 pm
Playmobil is great and if your kids are into it they'll be hooked until they have every last set!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all for the replies!
So we have loads of cars & trucks both simple & sophisticated. My boys are the creative/ story making types.

Singleagain, those were great options, I just wish they’d have boy figures, not only men. Of course they like those too, but they’d absolutely love a little boy version of Polly pocket, or cute set of boy dolls like the girls have. Is that unusual? They won’t play with girl dolls or anything pink but would love it in boy versions.

I guess playmobil can really sort of fill this need -I have one small set only, I’m just wary of the tons of tiny pieces. As it is my boys have a hard time cleaning up /being responsible for their toys, and teeny tiny pieces around are already a nightmare. Same would go for little lego.
We do have some really cute & creative duplo sets.

Check out the playmobil 123 line. It is really amazing and not small pieces . My kids love it at all ages

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:54 pm
Would any of these do? https://www.amazon.com/boy-dol.....dolls

Are you at all handy? Do you sew? You could probably find some generic looking dolls or figurines and make clothing for them that looks more like what your boys wear.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:01 pm
I allow my kids to buy character toys and most of the time they could not care less that there is a tv show/movie that goes along with it.
I'm very selective about which ones are ok - I don't allow Pokemon or ninjago, but Thomas, Paw Patrol, bob the builder...those I'm fine with.
My kids do like playmobil, but I agree that the little pieces make a huge mess.
A toy they love is small animal figures - one of their favorite shabbos games is to make a "zoo" with blocks as enclosures and then use their wood train set to go through and around the zoo

salt

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 11:57 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I allow my kids to buy character toys and most of the time they could not care less that there is a tv show/movie that goes along with it.
I'm very selective about which ones are ok - I don't allow Pokemon or ninjago, but Thomas, Paw Patrol, bob the builder...those I'm fine with.
My kids do like playmobil, but I agree that the little pieces make a huge mess.
A toy they love is small animal figures - one of their favorite shabbos games is to make a "zoo" with blocks as enclosures and then use their wood train set to go through and around the zoo

I agree with this. If the kids do not really know the movies that the characters come from, I don't think it matters that much. They don't really see them in action.

And I second playmobil people. I think you can buy boxes of just the people, without all the little tiny bits and pieces.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 12:30 am
I was gonna suggest play mobile but I see it was suggested a few times...

My son loves the police station set but there are so many others too...

Aylat

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 12:42 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

I came to suggest this. And it lasts for a long time - my boys age 5-10 all still play this.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:15 am
Soccer balls, basketballs, frisbees, rollerblades

Lego

Blocks/Kinnex/Magnetic building toys

Jenga, Pick-up sticks

Checkers/chess/backgammon

Uno

Nerf toys/waterguns (not sure how you feel about these)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics