Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Not responding to "Mazel Tov" texts
Previous  1  2  3

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 9:03 am
With social media, as opposed to private texts, you can thank the group rather than answering each one.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 9:03 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Are you for real? Menshliche? Etiquette? I think texting a mazel tov rude.

Why?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 9:33 am
I recall in the early days after a baby desperately wanting the time and energy to shower. Or an hour for a nap. So, no, I would not have returned texts. Texting didn't exist when I had just given birth.

But it did exist when I sat shiva and I got a lot of people complaining bc I didn't respond to their texts.

Okay. Here's the deal. If you text someone to make them feel good --either to show your happiness at a simcha, or lehavdil, your support at a loss -- it should be an end in itself. You should not have expectations for the overwhelmed, exhausted recipient. You are there to make THEM feel good, not the other way around.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 4:35 pm
agreer wrote:
Wishing someone a mazel tov is to let them know you are thinking of them.

Wondering why they didn't respond is selfish.

Do you respond "You're welcome" to the "thank you" text? When does it end?

Just imagine... you sent a mazel tov text. The recipient saw it and felt touched. Isn't that enough?

This.

Wishing someone "mazal tov" is a complete interaction in itself.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 5:06 pm
I'm a very old fashioned etiquette person BUT on the other hand I think 100% a mother with a newborn should not be burdened with text replies. Please, do we seriously expect a person who is somewhat considered 'sick' and in hospital to reply to all texts?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette