Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need boys camp help - ASAP

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:45 pm
My 8th grade son just let me know that he will not go to the camp he is registered to attend in August.
He says he doesn’t want to spend all morning learning and doesn’t really like sports anyway

It’s pretty urgent that he has plans for the summer because he made friends this year with kids who were not having a good influence on him. We tried very hard to get him away from this group... I’m afraid if he is home with nothing to do he might hook up with them again.

If anyone has any ideas AT ALL for a boy this age who doesn’t seem to want to conform.....
it can be anywhere... literally

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:53 pm
Tell him that he is NOT staying home and doing nothing. What would he like to do? Is there a reasonable alternative that he can suggest.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:54 pm
Was he on board when you originally signed him up? Is this a sleep-a-way or day camp? Honestly, I don't think it is fair for him to back out now. I probably would just tell my son - it's too late, you don't have a choice - you need to make the best of it, but would try to see how can accommodate him and ask he what would help make it easier for him to go.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 8th grade son just let me know that he will not go to the camp he is registered to attend in August.
He says he doesn’t want to spend all morning learning and doesn’t really like sports anyway

It’s pretty urgent that he has plans for the summer because he made friends this year with kids who were not having a good influence on him. We tried very hard to get him away from this group... I’m afraid if he is home with nothing to do he might hook up with them again.

If anyone has any ideas AT ALL for a boy this age who doesn’t seem to want to conform.....
it can be anywhere... literally

What type of camp are you looking for? Obviously an orthodox camp, but can it have boys and girls like a Moshava or camp Stone?
Does he like nature? Camp dora golding has an outdoors nature camp called yaalozu
I think WITS has a summer program as well and I remeber someone posting on her once before about a boys travel camp.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:54 pm
Try camp Yagilu a wilderness camp.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 4:12 am
My son going into 8th grade didn't want to go to camp either, but I didn't give him a choice. I reminded him that last summer he was bored on Shabbos and Sunday since all his friends were in sleepaway camp and there's no day camp on weekends. He still wasn't convinced, so I told him that he could bring whatever he wants with him- a new camera, an entire duffel bag filled with food, over $100 for the canteen, etc. He's there for first half and was miserable the first few days, then he got used to it. What does your kid like that he could take to camp with him?

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:26 am
I have a 16 yr old son who did this to me last year, it was the worst summer of my life. All your worst fears... Don't keep him home. I would try to tell him firmly it's not an option.
You can also tell him if there is a way to ease it up for him your more than happy to help. This past year we discussed camp the entire year, I davened and spoke to everyone so he would be in the right place. with alot of of siyata dshmaya it is going ok this Summer.
Good luck!
PS don't be afraid of his reactions stay firm

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:05 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Try camp Yagilu a wilderness camp.

My friend's son has gone and Loved it!!!

ice coffee

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 4:52 pm
Another vote for yagilu. It was an amazing experience for my son. He was there 3 years and learned so much about survival skills. Very wholesome with a mix of kids

normal1

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:29 am
I feel for you but if I was in your position I would bribe my son with canteen money or something the other kids in the bunk don’t have so that he feels special. Maybe take him out to lunch and let him brainstorm on what would make him special so that he feels empowered. Good luck

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:42 am
ice coffee wrote:
Another vote for yagilu. It was an amazing experience for my son. He was there 3 years and learned so much about survival skills. Very wholesome with a mix of kids

Wow... it’s almost $4,000 for one month!!!
My son went to a wilderness camp once but doesn’t seem to want to go again.
Maybe a traveling camp?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics