Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Master bedroom closed or open????
Previous  1  2

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:15 pm
In my house everyone needs to ask permission to go into someone else’s room.

My kids can’t go into my or their siblings rooms without asking.

I even ask my kids if it’s ok if I go into their room. If their door is closed, I knock and wait for their response.

Kids need privacy and boundaries too!

For middle of the night child visits, we lock our door when we need to, and wandering kids are redirected straight back to their own beds.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:17 pm
rivkeyb wrote:
my sisters 5 y.o. walked into her bedroom one morning and asked "why is taty in your bed?!? she told him got out quick she felt down and her feet is bleeding he is checking it out, his answer was but I'm here a long time you were both sleeping...... her answer he did it quite..... when he came home from chider the first thing he asked if her feet is still bleeding? he wants to see where it was bleeding .. she doesn't know if he told the story in chider.... wallah big news!
she was embarrassed the whole year to meet his rebbe

now she has a automatic shabbos lock on her door like ours

And my kids see me and my husband in bed together all the time. Sometimes they join us in our bed. For us it’s not a big deal at all.

My kids come into my room all the time. If I need my privacy, then I close and lock the door.

Gerbera

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:19 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
And my kids see me and my husband in bed together all the time. Sometimes they join us in our bed. For us it’s not a big deal at all.

My kids come into my room all the time. If I need my privacy, then I close and lock the door.

Yup, same here in my house!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:26 pm
I keep my door closed at night and locked if privacy is needed. During the day it's open and they know to go out when we need our space or are dressing. We have a master bathroom and kids usually don't use it. We have three other bathrooms they can use.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 11:09 pm
I win. Our Master bedroom is the Family room! No master bathroom. With several children sleeping in our room, there's absolutely NO privacy whatsoever.
As far as, when we have a babysitter in the house, she walks straight into the master, to take care of the little ones... Pale

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 11:15 pm
Growing up, my parents master bedroom was the “chill zone”. At night my mother would fold laundry and father do some paper work and we would all sit on bed (and dresser shhh) and shmooze. As teenagers we come in to tell my mom good night before we went to sleep if she was in bed before us.. I have really fond memories about our late night talks we had there. Because it was in a relaxed setting with my Parents relaxing (they are both hardworking and don’t relax until late) , it was so enjoyable.
Yes the door was locked at times and I remember sometimes they said “not
Tonight shefela, good night we’ll talk tomorrow” but I never put much thought into it. (And I wasn’t naive I guess I didn’t care that much) .
At this point in my life I have 2 little kids and a small house and master bedroom is always open unless we need it locked for the night Wink
I would love to continue the same wonderful “tradition” with my kids iyh as I think it made us so comfortable and willing to shmooze and open up to our parents in that setting

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 11:32 pm
My room is central station especially now with a newborn. Not all the rooms in my house have ac and My kids love looking out the living room window so I nurse in my bedroom.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:15 am
I don't have kids yet but I'm torn between having our kids feel comfortable and cozy to just come in in the mornings and hang out with me and DH. Or it being off limits...

salt

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:22 am
My kids use the bathroom in my bedroom all the time. I don't have the need for that level of privacy.
We'd never be ready for shabbos on time, or at night time, if we only used the other 1 shower/toilet that we have.
I lock it when I'm getting dressed, or at night.
We also have 2 land line phones - 1 in the living room, and 1 in our bedroom. So if they want to speak on the phone in peace and quiet, they go into my room (if I or DH don't need to be in there at the time).
The only thing I don't allow, is for my kids to bring their friends into my bedroom.

Last edited by salt on Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:06 am
Want to hear my cute story of the morning? I woke up late and was surprised my kids weren't up. I went in and saw dd3 laying in bed with her eyes open, so I said good morning. She started hysterically crying! It's not exactly like her, so I asked what's wrong, and she eventually said, "I wanted to come to your room!" She often wakes up before I'm out of bed and comes to lay with me, and apparently that was her plan this morning and she was so incredibly disappointed that I beat her to it! So we had an incredibly slow, difficult morning, but pretty sweet, no?

We do let our kids in and out of our room unless it's locked during the night, but close the door if there are guests. My mil wanted to come in a few times to see the baby sleeping or speak to me and it made me really uncomfortable!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:15 am
If you lock your doors at night when you are being intimate with DH, what do you do when your kids want to come into your room?

I've had kids throw full on fits and meltdowns outside the bedroom door because they want ema or abba. DH tells me to just ignore them, and of course being a mom I can't just let them sit there sobbing hysterically. It's way too distracting and upsetting, but if I get out of bed to take care of them, DH gets really mad at me.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:32 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
If you lock your doors at night when you are being intimate with DH, what do you do when your kids want to come into your room?

I've had kids throw full on fits and meltdowns outside the bedroom door because they want ema or abba. DH tells me to just ignore them, and of course being a mom I can't just let them sit there sobbing hysterically. It's way too distracting and upsetting, but if I get out of bed to take care of them, DH gets really mad at me.

We had that once a while ago. I don't remember exactly, but I think we both wanted to continue, but then kind of agreed it wasn't k'dai and I got dressed and went to help the kid. We were both disappointed, but that's life with delicious little kids sometimes.

More often than that a kid gets up and needs help when we're just about to go to bed together. That's also disappointing and we try to deal with it as fast as possible and sometimes it still works out and sometimes not. But some people have kids who sleep the whole night from a young age, so for them this would rarely come up. Depends on the kids and/or the parenting.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:48 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

They'd try to open the door, and I would say wait a minute, and we'd stop and slip on a nightie and open up.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics