Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
City of Hope Hospital in LA

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 11:21 pm
I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, but I figured we could use lots of tefillos so this is as good a place as any.

Please daven for Moshe Yehuda ben Yehudis who is an amazing brother and uncle and who unfortunately has a brain tumor that has come back after extensive treatment.

It now looks like he will be going to City of Hope for a medical trial there and it is unclear how long he will have to be there. As I understand it, the hospital is nowhere near a Jewish community. Have any of you had experience there? Where did you stay? What did you do for food? Are there any minyanim nearby?

simba

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 11:32 pm
Will daven for a complete and speedy Refua.
Where is the hospital, I see a few online. Maybe I can put you in contact with the nearest Chabad Rabbi,

monkeys

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 11:36 pm
Did you try contacting Ateres Avigail or Bikur Cholim of LA?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:09 am
simba wrote:
Will daven for a complete and speedy Refua.
Where is the hospital, I see a few online. Maybe I can put you in contact with the nearest Chabad Rabbi,

Oh goodness, I didn't realize there were so many! I think it might be this center:
City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1500 East Duarte Road
Duarte, CA 91010

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:10 am
monkeys wrote:
Did you try contacting Ateres Avigail or Bikur Cholim of LA?

Thanks, those look like great resources!

monkeys

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, those look like great resources!

The chessed in LA is AMAZING!!!!!! Hope everything works and out and wishing him a speedy Refuah Shelaima!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:39 pm
Bumping for the day crowd

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:39 pm
Anyone? Someone must have gone for treatment there and have some advice.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 9:23 pm
Contact ateres avigayil

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 2:59 am
Unfortunately, City of Hope is not near the Frum community. Any of them really. No restaurants or shuls. Its a good hour plus away from the La Brea community. Since it is not really in the community, there isn't a chessed food pantry like Chai Lifeline and Ateres Avigael have created for some of the hospitals (including Cedars Sinai). The hospital itself should have an option for Kosher food for the patient himself.
For Shabbos you would have to either stay near the hospital or decide to spend it away from the patient. If you decide you need to be near a shul, the LA community is great with hospitality- if you know anyone here you can ask them to put a word out to their shul/neighbors to see if anyone has space. There is also Hillygram which is an LA-based community email. Its an everything from minyan times, new shiurim, community events, mazel tovs, BDEs/shiva lists, people selling things and of course Chessed requests/offers. I think you email Moshe@hillygram.com.

Depending on how long you will be out here, have you put any thought into where you will be staying in general? If you look on their website, it appears that they have negotiated discount rates at local motels.

Contact Ateres Avigael: www.ateresavigail.org
They are amazing with helping people with all sorts of needs- visitors, medical equipment rentals, food etc. It is a far drive so they might not be able to find volunteers often who are willing to go that distance but you can ask them for help with logistics and see what they can help with.

If the patient is a child- contact Chai Lifeline here. 310-274-6331. They will do amazing things for their clients. Not sure what they can offer for that hospital but please call if it is a pediatric patient. I have heard of them practically move mountains for patients!
Call during West Coast business hours... I don't work for any of these organizations but I work for one that gets a lot of calls from NYers. Who are upset when no one answers the phones at 5am local time and they have to leave a voicemail. Please remember that we are 3 hours behind NY.

Googling a little I found a Chabad that seems to be about a 15 minute drive from City of Hope. https://www.jewisharcadia.com/
And another one that is about 15 minutes in the other direction...
1090 East Walnut Street
Pasadena, CA 91106 USA
Phone: 626-564-8820, 718-812-1292
I have not been in contact with these Chabad houses so can't give any information about them or how close they actually are (I am doing a google search at almost midnight so travel times will be longer during the day) but maybe call them as they are closer and can give you assistance?
I hope this helps!!
Wishing him and all the cholim a refuah shelaima bekarov!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 5:22 am
Thank you so much!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed