Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Vacation policy not what I was told

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:01 pm
I recently started a new job and when I was interviewed by my manager we discussed specifics about vacation like yt, summer....
Today, I was talking to the HR director and in the conversation she mentioned about using vacation days as one of the days which my manager had told me we are off. It's a big deal to me.
I plan to talk to my manager about it but should I do it now or wait until then (it's in a few months) or even after? I will take the time off regardless. The question is if it goes towards vacation time or not.
I'm also concerned that maybe there are other things we discussed that are not necessarily company policy and I may end up with more than I bargained for and I don't want that. I went into this position with very specific wants and needs for my lifestyle and she agreed. If it's not going to be the way we agreed on then I would honestly consider leaving.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:02 pm
Why don't you have a written contract?

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:05 pm
I would bring it up now while it’s more fresh in everyone’s minds

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:14 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Why don't you have a written contract?

Not all offices give a written contract and often they are generic

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:16 pm
tichellady wrote:
I would bring it up now while it’s more fresh in everyone’s minds

This is what I was thinking but she doesn't remember things from yesterday. She for sure won't remember from a month ago. So it wouldn't matter now or later. She would just say something to the effect that she doesn't remember saying it but if I say so then she must've.....
Problem is what's HR going to say and will she fight for me

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:18 pm
Who has the final say in this decision? Your manager or HR?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:07 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Who has the final say in this decision? Your manager or HR?

I think I'm about to find out.
I can escalate it to the owner if need be but I'd really rather not

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think I'm about to find out.
I can escalate it to the owner if need be but I'd really rather not

You’ll be fine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:18 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
You’ll be fine.

Thanks!
I hope so

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:55 pm
Just an FYI, I work in healthcare (but not a hospital) and we get a set amount of PTO "to use at our discretion ". We are closed thanksgiving and x-mas and I can't work, even if I want to, but are required to use up PTO for those days. It is not uncommon practice, but it is terrible.

baby12x

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not all offices give a written contract and often they are generic

And then you have this issue. Now you know why the advice is always to have a specific, written contract.

What did you sign?
If you signed something that is different than what you agreed... then really you may be out of luck.

Try to clarify and renegotiate now! GET IT IN WRITING. Even if it feels awkward to insist. Write it up and and tell the manager that you want to make sure you are all on the same page so can he please sign it and forward to HR

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 2:46 am
baby12x wrote:
And then you have this issue. Now you know why the advice is always to have a specific, written contract.

What did you sign?
If you signed something that is different than what you agreed... then really you may be out of luck.

Try to clarify and renegotiate now! GET IT IN WRITING. Even if it feels awkward to insist. Write it up and and tell the manager that you want to make sure you are all on the same page so can he please sign it and forward to HR

The easiest and imho the best way to do this- email the person after the meeting- “thank u so much for your time, as we discussed, I expect that xyz (clearly write out in as much detail as possible what u agreed upon)...
I try to do this with professors in school, work and sometimes in social settings (usually through text) and have only ever gotten positive response to these kinds of emails and regretted not being on top of it more than once:(

baby12x

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 2:49 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
The easiest and imho the best way to do this- email the person after the meeting- “thank u so much for your time, as we discussed, I expect that xyz (clearly write out in as much detail as possible what u agreed upon)...
I try to do this with professors in school, work and sometimes in social settings (usually through text) and have only ever gotten positive response to these kinds of emails and regretted not being on top of it more than once:(

Very good idea

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:58 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Just an FYI, I work in healthcare (but not a hospital) and we get a set amount of PTO "to use at our discretion ". We are closed thanksgiving and x-mas and I can't work, even if I want to, but are required to use up PTO for those days. It is not uncommon practice, but it is terrible.

I've had this in the past but was specifically not what the agreement now was. The days in question the office is open so I can go in but that was not what we agreed on.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:07 am
I think that if they don't give you a contract you should write down all the points discussed during the interview or at the time of hire.
You can send it to your manager and tell her that you just want to confirm in writing all of the points discussed to make sure you are all on the same page. Include your obligations as well.
Then when she responds in the affirmative you can forward a copy to HR.
Good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics