Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Most effective therapy ODD

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 2:26 am
My 8yo was diagnosed with ODD. I was wondering which therapy is most effective. Some of the issues we are dealing with in addition to the defiance are lying, stealing, hurting siblings.
He has also been diagnosed with ADHD and has been on meds for that for a while now.
I would like answers from those with personal experience, either with a child with ODD or from a professional in the field.

teachkids

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 3:53 am
I had a student with ODD who opened up to me, so my point of view is somewhere between a teacher and the child themselves.
Her main thing was she needed constant reassurance she was loved and cared about and capable. So number one would be to set aside non pressure time one on one with your child. Whether it's going for donuts and coffee once a week or playing a board game with your kid, or even watching TV or playing a computer game, do what he wants. Main rule though is this is not a time for you to discuss what went wrong. Either he picks the conversation or you neutrally discuss things that interest him.
In terms of actual therapy- she complained bitterly about the lady who just wanted to talk to her, and probably would have done better with some form of play therapy. See if that's an option for you.
Another big thing is that proper meds for the ADHD will help him control himself in every way, so do your best to get them in him without making it a battle (for him to see that they help him, he should have spares at the school nurse or something)
Lastly, how I built a relationship with this student, CHOICES AND VALIDATION. He needs to feel some control. "I see you're upset about your homework, do you want to do it before or after dinner?" You will get meltdown responses sometimes. Just stay calm and either repeat the choices or "I hear you're not up to doing homework yet, here's a snack first, I'll check on you in 15 minutes to see if you're ready for homework". My general method for dealing with meltdowns was to check in every 5 min to see if I could help and then walk away. Once a meltdown started I stopped mentioning the wanted behavior and focused on the child feeling better. Once she recovered she was generally in the best place to discuss what had to be done.

I'm posting under my sn so you can pm me if you want.

Aylat

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 4:05 am
Not a type of therapy, but a parenting approach. Dr Greene's CPS (collaborative problem solving) Plan B. Check out the book The Explosive Child and/or the fb group The B Team.

STMommy

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:40 am
family/Systems therapy.

individual therapy is contraindicated for ODD.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:48 am
I would recommend you take a course in the nurtured heart approach (nha). Treatment for odd requires a lot of parental involvement. Nha teaches parents some good skills to learn how to be less reactive to negative behavior so that it does not become reinforced. Hatzlacha!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:07 am
As a parent of a child like this, children do as well as they can. When a child feels unsafe, insecure, or threatened in some way, these behaviors come out.

This is what we've had success with bh

Sand play therapy
Test for PANS/PANDAS with a doctor who is knowledgeable on this topic
A combination of The Nurtured Heart Approach and the book Giving the Love that Heals drastically changed the dynamics in our house for the better.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:09 am
I second Ross Greene. It is evidence based and really works wonders for kids like this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)