Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Am I justified in being very disappointed?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:05 pm
Of course not, thanks for clarifying. I got thrown by your words "unkosher topics."
Do you write fiction only, or nonfiction/poetry/essays, as well?

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:16 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Of course not, thanks for clarifying. I got thrown by your words "unkosher topics."
Do you write fiction only, or nonfiction/poetry/essays, as well?

They would be unkosher to people who use words like "unkosher topics" to describe secular literature
I write all types of stuff

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:33 pm
Thank you violet, that was the book.
I don't recall if I agreed back then with how she portrayed the frum community & lifestyle.
But I was very upset with how the mother/grandmother was treated.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 4:14 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
How is her name frum sounding? Her name is her name. She can't change the number of children she has either. Still waiting on where she misrepresented herself as frum.

I said name and bio.

Someone whose name is Yankel Yanklovitch doesn't have to make up a pen name if he wants to write erotica.

He should, though, take off his kippa for his author photo. And it would make more sense for his bio to talk about his history as an author, than the yeshivas he attended a decade ago.

OP never said the problem was the author's name, it was the name + neighborhood + information about her family (no, she doesn't have to lie, but she also doesn't have to share information that she knows will lead to certain conclusions) + picture of the author in a sheitel + lack of any indication that the author wasn't frum (like - how hard would it be to write "formerly religious" or "gay rights activist"?).

Also, I explicitly said that the author didn't misrepresent herself. What I said was that I wouldn't do what she did. But since we're on the subject, I'll go further and say that it's tactless. Come on, it's like slapping a pink cover and the title "The Duke who Loved Me" on a gory murder mystery. Is it technically lying? No, but it's careless at best, and not good for either the author or the readers.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room