Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training when relies on pacifier

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:44 am
I really want to get my baby (16 months) out of our room and into my kids room. Problem is she always need her pacifier and a bottle. She's still waking up a few times in middle of the night wanting her bottle and pacifier. What can I do?

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:45 am
No bueno.

Pacifier is one thing. A bottle is another. She shouldn’t be going to sleep with a bottle!

Why can’t she replace her pacifier when it falls out?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:51 am
Stop the bottle but not the pacifier. It doesn't interfere with sleep training, it'll actually make it easier. At that age she should be taking back the paci by herself when it falls out. Attach it to her pj's with a clip so it doesn't get lost. My babies take their pacifiers by themselves from when they start holding things.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:53 am
No more bottle. I always kept a few pacis on clips in the crib to make them easier for the baby to grab himself at night.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:53 am
pesek zman wrote:
No bueno.

Pacifier is one thing. A bottle is another. She shouldn’t be going to sleep with a bottle!

Why can’t she replace her pacifier when it falls out?

She doesn't go to sleep with a bottle. She wakes up in middle of the night wanting one. And it's just water.
She often can't find the pacifier

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She doesn't go to sleep with a bottle. She wakes up in middle of the night wanting one. And it's just water.
She often can't find the pacifier

Leave a sippy cup with water in the same spot (corner of crib) every night. The first few nights he might need help finding it. Don't hand it to him, just show him where it is. He'll learn how to find it himself.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:54 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Stop the bottle but not the pacifier. It doesn't interfere with sleep training, it'll actually make it easier. At that age she should be taking back the paci by herself when it falls out. Attach it to her pj's with a clip so it doesn't get lost. My babies take their pacifiers by themselves from when they start holding things.

I feel a clip will bother her. She often sleeps on her stomach

teachkids

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really want to get my baby (16 months) out of our room and into my kids room. Problem is she always need her pacifier and a bottle. She's still waking up a few times in middle of the night wanting her bottle and pacifier. What can I do?

We have glow in the dark pacis and leave a few in the crib. Generally she can find one of them. You can also leave a bottle of water in the corner of the crib and show her where

Teomima

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:42 am
Don't put a clip on her when she's sleeping! It can come loose and the strap is a major choking hazard!
Leave a few pacifiers in the crib so she can easily reach at least one. When she needs help, put it in her hand, not her mouth, so she gets used to putting it in her herself in her sleep. Eventually she'll be able to do it on her own.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:53 am
A pacifier clip string is not long enough to be a choking hazard for a toddler. I don't think there was ever a story that a child got choked by a pacifier clip.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:57 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
A pacifier clip string is not long enough to be a choking hazard for a toddler. I don't think there was ever a story that a child got choked by a pacifier clip.

My friend's baby pulled apart a paci clip and choked on it. Thankfully she was right there and got it out. I've had clips break apart, it's super dangerous - choking, not strangulation hazard.

Scatter a few pacis in the crib and she should be able to find one when she needs it.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:57 am
I’m sorry but I’m not understanding. What are you trying to train her to do? Sleep without needing a bottle? Or sleep without needing a paci? Or are you saying you just want to move her out of your room and keep both the same?)

jfk92

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 2:54 pm
On the same page as everyone else. No bottle - and scatter a few pacifiers. The glow in the dark ones seem like a great idea too!

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 3:26 pm
Wubbanub can also work

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 4:10 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I’m sorry but I’m not understanding. What are you trying to train her to do? Sleep without needing a bottle? Or sleep without needing a paci? Or are you saying you just want to move her out of your room and keep both the same?)

I want to be able to move her to my kids room without waking them up. I want her to sleep through the night but she's not because she wants bottles and pacifiers

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 5:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to be able to move her to my kids room without waking them up. I want her to sleep through the night but she's not because she wants bottles and pacifiers

You need to eliminate them if you want her to sleep through the night. Do so while she’s in your room and when she’s trained then move her. Otherwise you’re just prolonging the habit and exacerbating the problem. However hard it is now it will be doubly hard in a year

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 5:59 pm
pesek zman wrote:
You need to eliminate them if you want her to sleep through the night. Do so while she’s in your room and when she’s trained then move her. Otherwise you’re just prolonging the habit and exacerbating the problem. However hard it is now it will be doubly hard in a year

I know that's why I'm asking for tips on how to do it

shanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 12:01 am
Precious little sleep discusses lots of sleep training methods

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 12:11 am
pesek zman wrote:

This has really not been the case for any of my kids. Like I wrote earlier, I put a sippy cup in the crib where they know to find it. They never need to outgrow that- I sleep with a water bottle next to my bed too! As far as pacifiers, maybe I've just been lucky, but all of my kids really transitioned off them without much difficulty once they were mature enough to be part of the decision, at age three. It was not a huge deal at all, whereas it definitely would have been as a much younger toddler.

agreer

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:56 am
She should not be waking up to drink water at night. Slowly reduce the water you give her every night...See if she stops waking up. If she doesn't, then cold turkey - let her cry it out.

The water drinking is much more nefarious than the paci.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics