Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Honey-Apple Bundt Cake

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 11:56 am
I do like bundt cakes because they are pretty foolproof and this was a nice addition. Obviously a good choice for RH but delicious any time of the year.

Notes are those of the authoress

Honey-Apple Bundt Cake

Excerpt From: Leah Koenig - Little Book of Jewish Sweets

For Ashkenazi Jews, Rosh Hashanah tables tend to feature one of two desserts: honey cake or apple cake. The former (lekach) is sweetened with honey and flavored with strong coffee and spices like cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. The latter (apfelkuchen) comes chockablock with tender apples that give the cake an extra moist crumb. But really, why choose? This version combines the best aspects of both desserts into one cake that celebrates the full, complex sweetness of the autumnal New Year season. It tastes lovely right away, but the flavors deepen and blossom the second day.

SERVES 8

21/4 CUPS [315 G] ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 TSP BAKING POWDER
1/2 TSP BAKING SODA
21/2 TSP GROUND CINNAMON
1 TSP GROUND GINGER
1/2 TSP GROUND ALLSPICE
1/2 TSP GROUND CLOVES
3/4 TSP KOSHER SALT
3/4 CUP [180 ML] VEGETABLE OIL
1/2 CUP [120 ML] STRONG BREWED COFFEE
11/3 CUPS [265 G] PACKED LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
1/2 CUP [170 G] HONEY
3 LARGE EGGS
11/2 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
4 CUPS [430 G] FINELY CHOPPED, PEELED BAKING APPLES (3 OR 4 MEDIUM)
CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR FOR SERVING

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F [180°C] and lightly grease a 10-in [25-cm] Bundt pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, 11/2 tsp of the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt into a large bowl.

2. In a stand mixer or using a handheld electric mixer, beat the oil, coffee, 1 cup [200 g] of the brown sugar, and the honey on medium speed until fully combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla, beating to combine after each addition and scraping down the bowl as necessary. Add the flour mixture in two additions, beating on low speed until just combined.

3. Stir together the apples, the remaining 1/3 cup [65 g] brown sugar, and the remaining 1 tsp cinnamon in a medium bowl.

4. Spread about half of the batter evenly into the prepared Bundt pan and spoon the apple mixture evenly over the top. Spread the remaining batter over the apples. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. (Start checking at 50 minutes to avoid overbaking.) Remove from the oven. Set the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes to allow the apples inside to cool and set.

5. To unmold the cake, run a sharp knife between the cake and the pan, then gently invert the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, transfer the cake to a serving plate and dust the top with confectioners’ sugar. Serve at room temperature. Store covered at room temperature for up to 5 days, or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.”

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Jul 28 2019, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

iyar

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 12:14 pm
Amarante, Thank you!
I love reading your recipes.
And this one looks delicious!
But it gave me a good lol too.
What with all the talk this morning about eliminating white flour and white sugar. And me (others too I think?) helpfully suggesting better eliminate all sugars.
I think this recipe sums it up perfectly.
In theory I’d like to get an hour of exercise and eliminate everything bad from my diet today.
In practice I’d rather spend the time baking this cake and then enjoy a generous slice with a (no sugar added of course) coffee.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 12:24 pm
iyar wrote:
Amarante, Thank you!
I love reading your recipes.
And this one looks delicious!
But it gave me a good lol too.
What with all the talk this morning about eliminating white flour and white sugar. And me (others too I think?) helpfully suggesting better eliminate all sugars.
I think this recipe sums it up perfectly.
In theory I’d like to get an hour of exercise and eliminate everything bad from my diet today.
In practice I’d rather spend the time baking this cake and then enjoy a generous slice with a (no sugar added of course) coffee.

In all seriousness the best "diet" is what I like to call 90%/10% of even 80/20 LOL

In my experience, it's better to have one fabulous treat so long as it can be fitted in to one's daily food intake. I don't keep great stuff around because it's too tempting but I will make it when I know it will be eaten up or I like to take it when I am eating at friends. Or for cookies, I will make the dough and scoop it into balls, freeze the balls and then I can bake only as many as I need at one time.

I wanted to add that obviously cake is cake is cake and no one would say this is a spear of asparagus. However, as cakes go, it's on the moderate side because it isn't excessively high fat (honey and apples provide some of the moisture in lieu of fat) and there is no additional icing (pure sugar) or cream needed. My mother used to make a cake that had prune butter that she would keep in the freezer all the time sliced and have a slice every night for dessert. Again, not a celery stick but in terms of a total food plan, not a bad choice.

My father was crazy about making Mandelbrot aka biscotti and would carry plastic bags with him to offer to people. As cookies go, those are also a relatively healthy dessert as they are relatively low in oil and aren’t excessively sugary.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 12:49 pm
Are you people baking for Rosh Hashana already?

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 12:58 pm
dankbar wrote:
Are you people baking for Rosh Hashana already?

LOL Cake wouldn’t last that long. But I do like to test drive baked goods because you don’t know what a cake is going to be like until it’s served.

I needed a dessert and I had all the ingredients and Bundt cakes are easy to make for me because they are one pan and festive looking. You don’t need icing and you don’t have to deal with separating eggs and folding the egg whites in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins