Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Where can you give away good quality clothing?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:33 am
I know some places that come to pick up clothing, but it's generally stuffed in a bag. It's fine for things like tops and skirts that don't fit. But I have some really expensive suits or dresses that I can't wear, but that I'd love to give away so someone can get use out of them (e.g. for weddings, vorts, etc.). Is there a place in Brooklyn or Manhattan where you can hang the clothing on hangers and they're left in good condition? Other suggestions of people who'd appreciate them? Sizes 6/8.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:37 am
I give away tons of clothing to imamother members all the time.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:12 pm
Post here. There's also Bobby's place in Flatbush you can donate to 1 646-568-6606 (they might be closed now)

happy12

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:52 pm
If you have someone to take them to lakewood, Serendipity is the place.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:53 pm
Hi,

I accept brand name stuff in perfect condition only. I sell them on resale platforms to raise money for tzedaka.
You can email bkebrands@gmail.com

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:46 pm
Find out if Raizys Nook still accepts donations. A great gemach with new and gently used clothes for kallahs. L'illuy Nishmas Raizy Piller.

reality mom

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 2:45 pm
Whatever you do, dont donate it to big companies who sell it by the lb for pennies, regardless of the value of its contents, to goodwill stores and the like. (Pick purple is one such company)
I actually send things by boat to israel via minchas shlomo. They charge approx $15-$18 a box, and needy relatives and friends are overjoyed. Its my tzedaka, and im so happy to be giving it to people who I know will wear it, enjoy it, and appreciate it .

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 8:56 am
reality mom wrote:
Whatever you do, dont donate it to big companies who sell it by the lb for pennies, regardless of the value of its contents, to goodwill stores and the like. (Pick purple is one such company)
I actually send things by boat to israel via minchas shlomo. They charge approx $15-$18 a box, and needy relatives and friends are overjoyed. Its my tzedaka, and im so happy to be giving it to people who I know will wear it, enjoy it, and appreciate it .

If it's in good shape, yes, find a gemach, resale store, etc. to give it to. (And since you're getting some good responses, no need for me to say please put NY in the subject line ;-D)
But stuff that no one will wear anymore or that is in less than good shape, I'd give to Purple Heart, or put in one of those dumpsters if I knew it was going to a good charity. Since you're in NY I'm sure there are dumpsters belonging to tzedakas; that would be my first choice if it wasn't in good shape.

aricelli

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 9:01 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Hi,

I accept brand name stuff in perfect condition only. I sell them on resale platforms to raise money for tzedaka.
You can email bkebrands@gmail.com

Thats so good to know! Which location?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 9:19 am
reality mom wrote:

I'm familiar with this organization from the other end - I live in Israel - and we really, really appreciate these items!
Here's a link to their site: http://www.minchasshlomo.org/

aricelli

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 9:23 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I'm familiar with this organization from the other end - I live in Israel - and we really, really appreciate these items!
Here's a link to their site: http://www.minchasshlomo.org/

Thanks!

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:00 pm
There are simcha wear/wedding gowns gemachs that take slightly used gowns

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:12 pm
reality mom wrote:

Thanks for posting. My DS15 has lots that came home from his first year in yeshiva in good condition.

chestnut

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:00 am
I second Bobby's Place in Flatbush
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics