Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toilet training - my 3yo still naps - question

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:58 am
My 3yo still wears diapers but can definitely go a few hours without making urine. I'm ready to train him, but he still naps during the day and usually wakes up with a very full, wet diaper. We do drink some milk as part of his naptime routine and he definitely still needs his sleep.

My doc recommended night training separately and still putting him into a diaper at night. What should I do about nap time while training? Put him in a diaper or not? I'm afraid he'll save his urine for naptime.

TIA. Any advice will be appreciated.

shanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 2:08 am
We put on a diaper for naps. We were not strict about removing the diaper after naps and it slowed things down. But if you put it on right before and take off right after, it seems fine to me.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:08 pm
Make him pee before you put him down for a nap and have him sleep in special napping/sleeping underwear, pull ups. I never told my kids that they were diapers and could pee in them. They assumed they couldn't and usually didn't.
Take him to the bathroom and change him into regular underwear as soon as he wakes up.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 2:51 pm
All I have to say, is Gd bless you for having a 3 year old who naps!!!

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:00 pm
pesek zman wrote:
All I have to say, is Gd bless you for having a 3 year old who naps!!!

Huh? That's very age appropriate. Many kids nap until 5 or 6...

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:01 pm
I use a pull up for naps. It doesnt interfere with the toilet training because the training is for when he is awake. As soon as he wakes up, take him to the potty and then put on regular underwear. Have him also use the potty before napping. But we view it just like nighttime in regard to training.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:04 pm
nchr wrote:
Huh? That's very age appropriate. Many kids nap until 5 or 6...

I agree with pesek zman, IME most kids give up their nap by 3, op is lucky!

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:05 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I agree with pesek zman, IME most kids give up their nap by 3, op is lucky!

Oh. All of my kids still nap. Oldest is 6. Most of my nieces and nephews do too. Maybe it has to do with the family and how important napping is? I know secular schools have nap time until first grade.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:07 pm
nchr wrote:
Oh. All of my kids still nap. Oldest is 6. Most of my nieces and nephews do too. Maybe it has to do with the family and how important napping is? I know secular schools have nap time until first grade.

My 5 yo still naps on shabbos, and I'm very grateful!

Op, I'd take the child to pee before nap time and see if that works.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:45 pm
nchr wrote:

This is absolutely unimaginable to me. Mine was (is) in daycare with a daily 2 hour rest/nap time. Mine still didn’t (doesn’t) nap. She dropped her nap before 2.5.

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:53 pm
pesek zman wrote:
This is absolutely unimaginable to me. Mine was (is) in daycare with a daily 2 hour rest/nap time. Mine still didn’t (doesn’t) nap. She dropped her nap before 2.5.

But she has quiet time on a cot at daycare and at home? Or you don't do it at home because she doesn't want it? Our cheder does not have nap time, so our kids nap first thing when they come home.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 6:25 pm
nchr wrote:
But she has quiet time on a cot at daycare and at home? Or you don't do it at home because she doesn't want it? Our cheder does not have nap time, so our pkids nap first thing when they come home.

Yes. She reads or plays while the others sleep. At home we don’t attempt it anymore (she’s now 4.5) but she would scream her head off for as long as we insisted on keeping her in her bed since 2.25. She didn’t want or need the sleep. I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing (what time do napping kids fall asleep at night? I imagine later than non napping ones. If they nap so late in the afternoon doesn’t it make it hard for them to fall asleep later?) I just don’t know anyone who naps past 2-3. All our friends talk about similar schedules

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 6:32 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Yes. She reads or plays while the others sleep. At home we don’t attempt it anymore (she’s now 4.5) but she would scream her head off for as long as we insisted on keeping her in her bed since 2.25. She didn’t want or need the sleep. I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing (what time do napping kids fall asleep at night? I imagine later than non napping ones. If they nap so late in the afternoon doesn’t it make it hard for them to fall asleep later?) I just don’t know anyone who naps past 2-3. All our friends talk about similar schedules

Our kids go to cheder/school at 3 or 3.5. Until then, they take a two-ish hour nap from 1-3. Bedtime routine starts around 6:00 and involves a bath, story, etc. Usually sleeping by 6:30. Wakes up around 7:00.

After that they nap everyday until 4 after cheder/school for around an hour. Bedtime is still the same time. If they skip a nap for some reason, they are sleeping by 5:30/6 without a bath.

After 4, they nap about 4 or so days a week for around an hour. Bath starts at 6:30 Bedtime is 7:30ish. On Shabbos, they nap 2-3 hours and bedtime is around 8:00. My 6 year old still naps or at least rests in his room for around an hour about every other day.

Are your kids sleeping much earlier or wake up later?

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 6:36 pm
These are not super exact times, just approximate times. We are not so punctual!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 7:28 pm
Get rid of the milk bottle, it's really bad for the teeth. Use the bathroom before nap time, put on a diaper, and use it again right after.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 8:18 pm
nchr wrote:
Our kids go to cheder/school at 3 or 3.5. Until then, they take a two-ish hour nap from 1-3. Bedtime routine starts around 6:00 and involves a bath, story, etc. Usually sleeping by 6:30. Wakes up around 7:00.

After that they nap everyday until 4 after cheder/school for around an hour. Bedtime is still the same time. If they skip a nap for some reason, they are sleeping by 5:30/6 without a bath.

After 4, they nap about 4 or so days a week for around an hour. Bath starts at 6:30 Bedtime is 7:30ish. On Shabbos, they nap 2-3 hours and bedtime is around 8:00. My 6 year old still naps or at least rests in his room for around an hour about every other day.

Mine is (woke ) up at 6:30. Bedtime is 7:30. Most nights she falls asleep between 8:30-9.

Maybe she needs more sleep, but she’s very active and imaginative and would rather play (during the day) or tell stories to herself (at night) then sleep.

Your kids sounds like amazing sleepers. I’d consider you lucky!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 8:55 pm
nchr wrote:

Wow. Doesn't seem typical to me but good for you. When my DS was 3, if there was even a 15 minute nap, he would stay awake in bed for hours. Totally ruined bedtime. So no naps in this house after age 2!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics