Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Moving to Israel for one year-with kids
Previous  1  2  3

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:33 am
OP, also just t ink of the ages of your kids. Would your 17 year old want to miss the last year of high school? And then be in a whole new environment where the language and culture are foreign to them?
Good luck in your decision but I think those ages will kick you in the tush in the end. Meaning, it will not end well, for any number of reasons.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 8:25 am
I understand your desire to do this.

one of the first questions id ask myself is: are the kids each and every one on board with this?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 8:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
OP, also just t ink of the ages of your kids. Would your 17 year old want to miss the last year of high school? And then be in a whole new environment where the language and culture are foreign to them?
Good luck in your decision but I think those ages will kick you in the tush in the end. Meaning, it will not end well, for any number of reasons.

Agreed.

OP, please be the adult in the room. Your children think it sounds fun right now - their brains aren’t developed enough for them to foresee the long term consequences of such a rash, illogical step. Yours should be, and yet you’re not thinking this through.

Please don’t do this to your family. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 9:45 am
Just thinking outside the box here, but if you knew for a fact that you were doing this, I'd sooner look into fast-tracking 17 year old's senior year than make them do that last year in another country. It's not unusual for a student to be able to complete everything they need for a regent's diploma by end of junior year, and then you just need to talk to the school well in advance about how they can get their diploma after three years. It may mean doing some studying in the summer or an extra class each year, but if your child can handle it and the school is willing, it's something to consider.
Maybe even send to sem the year you go, if you feel it's appropriate.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 9:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For school, one option might be for them to do online K-12 program since we are technically still US and state citizens. And I pay property tax. But this would rely on trustworthy internet connection. As far as I know,the free K-12 programs only require logging on but not in "real time". Though not sure how it would work with the time difference if a child needed a "one on one" help session for a specific class and I don't really know the specifics of what is required as far as logging on.

This could work for schooling.
One on one help would be scheduled in the afternoon/early evening time in Israel.
BTW- I was going to suggest this.
Remember Israel time is 7 hrs ahead.

I’d be more concern on my Shalom Bayit

I would try for an entire summer, 2.5 months, before doing an entire year.

As far as insurance, how do students get insurance? Perhaps there is something similar. Also, look into travelers insurance and see what that covers. I would not get rid of my US insurance.

Do you have the finances to do this?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 9:50 am
Last yr in Israeli high school is purely focused on bagrut. They already finished some bagruyot in grade11, and now they are focused on the rest.
It will be extremely difficult for a foreign student to fit in there. (Ok, except for the English bagrut, which they can ace). The school will likely suggest they do grade 11 again.
Plus, all their peers will be going for army prep or discussing sherut leumi options.

It can work, but only if the 17 yr old looks at this as a חוויה and has absolutely no expectations of getting a high school bagrut diploma at the end of the year.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 10:36 am
Similar story, DH and I are seriously considering moving to Israel/aliya in about 2 years. 2 kids would be out of school already, dd would be in sem, only DS age 14 would be home. I'm seriously thinking of homeschooling him with the help of family and tutors rather than do the Israeli system. Try it for a year. Then if he wants to dorm in a high school in U.S., he could go. Or continue homeschooling until maybe at age 17 he could go to a yeshiva with an American program.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 10:42 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Or continue homeschooling until maybe at age 17 he could go to a yeshiva with an American program.

If you actually do make aliyah, he'll get drafted.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 3:54 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Similar story, DH and I are seriously considering moving to Israel/aliya in about 2 years. 2 kids would be out of school already, dd would be in sem, only DS age 14 would be home. I'm seriously thinking of homeschooling him with the help of family and tutors rather than do the Israeli system. Try it for a year. Then if he wants to dorm in a high school in U.S., he could go. Or continue homeschooling until maybe at age 17 he could go to a yeshiva with an American program.
For a 14 year old, you can check out YTA (they have a branch for girls and a branch for boys). Its Israeli high school, but taught in english and they habve an ulpan. Its a thought.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:45 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Last yr in Israeli high school is purely focused on bagrut. They already finished some bagruyot in grade11, and now they are focused on the rest.
It will be extremely difficult for a foreign student to fit in there. (Ok, except for the English bagrut, which they can ace). The school will likely suggest they do grade 11 again.
Plus, all their peers will be going for army prep or discussing sherut leumi options.

It can work, but only if the 17 yr old looks at this as a חוויה and has absolutely no expectations of getting a high school bagrut diploma at the end of the year.

I found my daughter was more relaxed in 12th grade. 11th grade was a lot more pressure.

Anyone who is thinking of making aliya with high school age kids, look into the Naaleh program. My daughter did that. (we didn't make aliya but its an option if you do). You need to start by 10th grade though. They have ulpan for kids from chul, give extra marks on the bagrut and there is a whole group of chul kids so your kid won't be lost.

My daughter went not knowing very much hebrew (just what she learnt in school) and is now a fluent hebrew speaker, and did really well in her bagruot.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions