Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Easy ways to learn Hebrew

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 6:40 pm
Hi
I would like to improve my Hebrew but I don't actually want to spend the time to actually study the language. I also don't really have time to watch movies which is something I heard people do.
I am wondering if there is an app I can download on my phone (I have a Android device and have access to GooglePlay) that I can use to study in my spare time?
I dowloaded Google Translate but it doesn't output the Hebrew results in voice, only on text which is not helpful enough.
I would love an app that is quick in which I can speak in English and have the results instantly spit back to me in Hebrew both in audio voice and text. And I should be able to press a microphone button or whatever button to repeat the translated sentence a second or third time if I want to "study" it.
I do know some Hebrew since I taught myself Lashon Hakodesh (Old Hebrew) as a teen although I never learned how to speak it, but at the time I knew how to read seforim quiet fluently while understanding what's written even while maybe not knowing every single word's definition. I know that Hebrew is not the same as Lashon Kodesh but having that background knowledge definitely helps me.
I never formally learned dikduk although grammar was my favorite subject in school so I am sure I can learn eventually.
Alternatively, is it much better to learn through professional software? If so, how much does it cost and do they come with apps you can use on the go on a cell phone?
Also, once I download or buy an app ideally I would want it to have all common languages because why not....
I once downloaded a different app that had horrible inappropriate ads and promptly deleted it. I don't remember what that one was called.
Any other ideas of how to learn Hebrew?
I do have a computer but hardly ever have the time to sit down at my desk. And it's a desktop computer, not a laptop.
Also this is not a rush all. I have no immediate plans of moving away from the US where we are now.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 12:40 am
Bumping this up so Israel imas can chime in.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 12:45 am
First thing's first - get rid of google translate pronto. It will make you lazy (much easier to throw a heap of text into google translate than take the time to read it) and does not help with language learning.

I say get out there and start talking with people. Go to shiuirim in Hebrew. This was the one and only way I became fluent in Hebrew. I don't like sitting down and reading books and learning grammar (although a certain amount is unavoidable). I found that hearing words repeated over and over in conversations made me ask what they were and they stuck better with me.

Edit: just reread and saw you're in the US.... makes it a lot more difficult. I don't think it's really possible to get fluent from books and apps. Maybe search for Israelis living in your area? I lived in the middle of nowhere in Europe and found loads of Israelis to talk to.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 12:48 am
Talk to Israelis. Listen to Hebrew radio. It's unreasonable to think you can learn a language without investing some time.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 1:08 am
I tried listening to Hebrew radio in the past.
I couldn't understand half of what they were saying. They just speak too fast!!
You think if I stuck with it and kept listening I would get the hang of it eventually? I just got almost dizzy trying to listen in the past!!
I think I would be able to learn much better if I can both hear and see the letters and spelling of the words which would help me put all the root words, grammar, and meanings together.
That being said I can see how practicing with actual conversations with real people is important too.
I hear the point that it's not reasonable to expect to learn without investing time.
I have plenty of family in Israel but most made aliyah recently and struggle with their Hebrew themselves. And the rest I am not close enough to so I wouldn't feel comfortable asking to practice with them as we hardly keep in touch unless there is a Simcha either of us attend. I guess I have to hang out with more Israelis somehow.
Any other ideas?
I just remember now I heard of a software called Rosetta Stone. Anyone used it first hand and can give me feedback on how to it was or wasn't helpful and if it can be accessed from a mobile device?
And to be clear, come to think of it I spend a good 30 minutes on a typical weekday on my phone either waiting for a child's bus to arrive or being on a train, or waiting to be seen by a doctor, etc.. so if I had a way to use all that time on my phone that could all add up to plenty of time... it's just really hard to find the time to sit down at my desktop computer which I would only have access to late at night.
And finding the time to read books or watch movies is hard too.
Not sure if I can get away with watching movies on my phone as I go about my day out and about (I live in a very ultra frum neighborhood).

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 1:12 am
I never found watching movies helpful. I just read the subs and stopped listening to the Hebrew. And without subs I didn't have a clue what was going on. I used Pimsular Hebrew before making aliyah but it can only bring you so far. I didn't become fluent until I actually came to Israel and got married to my Israeli husband who insisted we only speak Hebrew at home.

But don't learn Hebrew from Americans who recently made aliyah. You'll learn their mistakes and it won't help your accent.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 1:16 am
I really like the old standard, RosettaStone. I have a horrible short term memory, and I am very comfortable with this program.

It teaches you reading, speaking, and vocabulary in alternating modules. It keeps all parts of your brain engaged, which makes everything "stick" better.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 1:18 am
Btw (and I posted this somewhere else right now, but I really can't recommend it enough) if you want something interesting to watch I looooved 'Jerusalem District' about a special unit in the Jerusalem Police (reality tv) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ahlZ54b2A there are 9 episodes overall

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 1:45 am
In addition to Rosetta Stone, you can look into:
Duolingo, Mondly, Drops, The Hebrew App, and Learn Hebrew Pod.

I believe Rosetta Stone and Duolingo are the most comprehensive. If I recall correctly, many of them are free to download and trial so you can see which style appeals to you. I believe Duolingo is completely free, but has fewer visual images than Rosetta Stone.

Drops comes with 5 minutes free a day, and Mondly is also set up mostly as short daily lessons. I believe the Hebrew App and Learn Hebrew Pod are more video based and obviously only teach Hebrew.

B’hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 7:46 am
Thanks Frantic Frummie for your input.
And the rest of you thanks for chiming in.
Amother Lime I will check out those episodes.
And Amother Red thanks for the detailed descriptions of the different softwares/apps.

grivky

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 8:10 am
Ulpan linyan can email you a “daily dose of Hebrew” with one practical word or phrase a day. It’s free! https://ulpan.com/your-daily-dose-of-hebrew/

samantha87

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:45 am
If you have a few minutes for a podcast, Streetwise Hebrew can help you fill the gap from Lashon Hakodesh to modern Hebrew:
https://tlv1.fm/podcasts/stree.....show/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions