Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did you open a twin egg and then have twins?
Previous  1  2

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 12:24 pm
Double yolk eggs are twins, they just don't typically hatch.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 4:58 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Double yolk eggs are twins, they just don't typically hatch.
Assuming that you buy your eggs from a commercial egg grower and not your neighbor down the road who happens to have a chicken coop, the eggs you buy would never hatched into anything anyway because they have not been fertilized. Egg farmers are very careful to keep the rooster away from the hens because unless they’re also breeding chickens, they want to maximize the yield of eggs, not chicks. Eggs are “candled” (scanned by a strong light)before packing to weed out any developing chicks, which few people care to find in their cake batter. But young love sometimes manages to find a way anyway, as anyone who has ever had the “joy” of cracking open an egg only to find a bloody chicky mess inside can attest.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 5:01 pm
I meant that even when the eggs are fertilized, two ova in the same shell don't develop properly and hatch.

Metukah

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 5:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay. I’m normally not superstitious but I can’t remember the last time this happened and now it happened twice. Would be funny if I updated in ten months that I had twins (though I don’t really want to have twins)

Apparently they run in batches. Usually when I find one, I find more on the same tray.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 8:21 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
And just by the way, twin yolks in the eggs isn't twins. It's an abnormal egg. Twins would mean the chicken laying two eggs. An egg with two yolks is a dud. It wouldn't hatch at all. Which would explain the pp who mentioned that older hens lay eggs with two yolks. It's because the older you get the lower the quality of your eggs (apparently that's true by chickens as well as humans)

I thought the older you get the more likely you are to skip an egg, and drop two the following month. Hence the more likely occurence of twins in older mothers. I am currently expecting twins IYH and have probably opened a few double eggs, or double almonds at some point during the pregnancy but none of them were memorable.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 2:17 am
I opened a twin egg and had.....................................an omelette!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics