Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What did u think of eliana Cohen campaign
Previous  1  2

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 9:12 pm
familyfirst wrote:
To the above poster in need of funds for your children:
Please call the cheeses fund for assistance! This money is being used for other sick children as well! Absolutely request assistance!

That would be awesome. We don’t like taking tzedakah money. But it’s been crazy... Who would I contact? How can I get the number?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 9:31 pm
I do understand the concern you raise Op. some people would not have given were it not for these specific circumstances. however, they had to do it this way since they did not know a third party would cover it and most likely the third party came through, perhaps in a way ironically enough, because of the huge and fast outpouring of the necessary funds.
I tell myself it was meant to be this way its hatshgachah protis that they were meant to have these funds for her ongoing needs as well as for other children with illnesses if I read the email correctly. And if someone gave maaser so be it. And if someone does need or want a refund they can request one. I can't really answer as to why no "automatic refund" though perhaps there is a good reason like even administratively to do so could be a challenge. And can only trust that this is the way it is meant to be. for the good. Im glad it got covered by a third party and can only hope and trust that the money raised will be put to good use. I know people who know them and they are erlich yidden. I understand why someone could feel they also need help but again this is such an unusual story and the fact that it played out like this is unusual and I feel there must be a reason min shomayim for it. I do understand why some might feel a desire to know more details on where the money is going now since its not going for the original purpose. It did make a huge kiddush Hashem and we probably do not even have an inkling of the true and far-reaching impact. Full disclosure -- I am not asking for a refund for my donation. Though I do not judge someone who feels they have to do so.
wishing Eliana and everyone health and abundant resources in every way for the good!

wifeandmore

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 9:37 pm
They were so honest and transparent all along! When they knew an offline donation was coming in, they set the goal to lower. When it was reached, there was no bonus round.
I was so impressed with them throughout it all and I think this email is a continuation of that honesty.
If they would refund 2m dollars, he charges would be astronomically high!!!!
They made it so simple to request the money back - they're not even waiting for ppl to "hear" and "reach out" - they emailed everyone.
Wishing her and all who need it only health and happiness!!! ❤❤

mommyX2

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 9:40 pm
I gave and when I received the email at first I was like...huh, the money isnt going toward the treatment?.but I didnt want to ask for a refund, bec I still feel like I was part of a mitzvah and didnt want to "take that back" and its still going for a good cause (and no I prob would not have donated randomly for the medical expenses, I did it bec of the special circumstances surrounding the medication) . I DO think the initial email should have said they are using it for eliana's medical expenses AND other children. at first it seemed like only for her and I was wondering ..well what abt the extra?? and then the next email said for other kids so I wondered well what abt eliana. so the communication wasnt great at first, but the final email said it would be for her and other sick kids and I'm ok with that. I will not be asking for a refund, its still a good cause. then again its not like I gave hundreds of dollars...

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 10:10 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
They sent out an email to all donors that after the funds were raised a third party paid for the medication so they no longer needed our money.

I didn't get the email. I donated. I wouldn't ask for a refund anyways. I didn't give a lot.

I also have a special needs child. Imagine if I had a fund to help her. I would be able to do so many things to help my daughter with money. People keep telling me things I should do. But everything costs money. Although I would also like a fund for my daughter I'm happy she is able to have a fund to help with all her daughter's medical expenses.

familyfirst

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 10:23 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
That would be awesome. We don’t like taking tzedakah money. But it’s been crazy... Who would I contact? How can I get the number?

Start by calling the chessed organization who organized this. Hopefully they’ll be able to direct you. You so deserve this!! Money has already been collected- not asking people to shell out again

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 10:44 pm
Dear donor,

We just wanted to share with you the letter below, which was recently sent out by the Rabbis of our community regarding Eliana's case.

With gratitude,
Ariel & Shani Cohen
B”H
Miami, Florida
Tammuz 26, 5779
July 29, 2019

This is an open letter concerning the Cohen’s family recent statement regarding their crowdfunding campaign.

It was less than two weeks ago that this amazing campaign was first launched, the nidivut halev, generosity and empathy, displayed by over 24,000 people who stepped up to save a young Jewish girl’s life was breathtaking. People around the world raised over two million dollars in a matter of days.

The amount of energy generated did not go unnoticed. Inspired by the tremendous outpouring of support that this campaign brought about, other parties got involved, and galvanized their efforts to overcome this potential disaster. Out of nowhere, with clear divine hashgacha, providence, doors that had previously been locked suddenly opened and Little Eliana’s medication was paid for by a 3rd party.

Additionally, in the last few days, other insurance companies have changed their policy going forward so that children like Eliana will be eligible for coverage of their medication. As a result of your efforts, so many additional children will be spared a life of suffering. It is undoubtedly the enormous response to the Chesed Fund campaign which brought about a lifeline, not just for Eliana, but for many other children as well, in the future.

As soon as this became clear, the family reached out to all donors, updated them about this new development and offered to refund their donations. This act of transparency and emet, truth, is a Kiddush H-shem on its own right. The Cohen family understands that the myriads of people who contributed to this campaign did so to take part in saving their little girl’s life.

Now that the funds for the vital medication were provided for by a third party, we want to make sure each and every participant in this unique campaign has complete clarity and comfort with how their hard earned tzedaka dollars are being handled. We are offering every donor the opportunity to request their donation be returned to them, and will be processing all returns as expeditiously as possible.

Alternatively, the Rabbanim involved in this campaign are creating a fund with whatever monies are not being requested back by the donor, that will be used exclusively to aid other seriously ill children who need immediate financial relief. In this way, all donations will be used for the purpose that the giver originally intended, to provide succor and aid for those most vulnerable amongst us, ill children in our communities.

This is our formal acknowledgment, recognition and expression of hakarat hatov, gratitude, to each and every one of you who stepped up when there were only days to spare. Additionally, we thank the Chesed Fund, for saving the family tens of thousands of dollars by being commission free and for their dedicated 24 hour support. Finally, we stand in awe of the Cohen family for being a beacon of strength, inspiration, and yashrut to klal yisrael as they battle daily for Eliana’s recovery and wellbeing.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts and may Hashem always shower you with the blessing deserved for people who have changed the world for the better.

We are grateful to Hashem for the zechut to be part of this amazing journey.
————————————————
This was soon followed by the following email from Rabbi Yosef Galimidi:

We apologize, in our haste to get out the previous message we omitted the following:

The remaining funds will be used exclusively to aid the Cohen family for the rehabilitative treatments required as well as other seriously ill children who need immediate assistance.

In this way, all donations will be used for the purpose that the giver originally intended, to provide support and aid for those most vulnerable among us, sick children that need our help.

Tizku Lemitzvot to everyone that participated in this amazing journey!!!

On behalf of the Rabbis.

Rabbi Yosef Galimidi

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 10:46 pm
Perhaps the posters who need funds for their own children’s needs should contact Rabbi Galimidi. The last email sent to the donors came from:

rabbiyosefgalimidi at gmail dot com

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:45 pm
I cannot judge parents whose baby girl is undergoing lifesaving treatment, and can't imagine their having to deal with this on top of everything else going on in their lives right now.

It was also beautiful how people came together for this cause even though it's insane that any parent should have to go through such a hurdle to get lifesaving treatment for their baby.

All that said, I'm pretty sure they were legally obligated to inform contributors of what happened or they could've gotten into trouble for fraud. On that note, it appears that a group of Rabbeim is now managing the money and deciding where it goes, and if so, I hope they're taking care that they're not violating any finance laws in how it is ultimately used. (I'm not saying they would use it for something illicit, rather, I assume there are regulations regarding fundraising and guidance on how funds may be used when sponsored for a specific cause.) I am curious about their process in determining where the funding ultimately goes. 2 million dollars is a lot of money.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 4:59 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I didn't get the email. I donated. I wouldn't ask for a refund anyways. I didn't give a lot.

I also have a special needs child. Imagine if I had a fund to help her. I would be able to do so many things to help my daughter with money. People keep telling me things I should do. But everything costs money. Although I would also like a fund for my daughter I'm happy she is able to have a fund to help with all her daughter's medical expenses.

I got three emails. They definitely tried their best to make sure that everyone is aware. Check your spam/promotion folders.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:04 am
I think it was fine that they didn't automatically return all the money. They gave people the option. Everything was done in good faith. My only concern is that it is unclear what the money will be used for. Will this be primarily for their daughter, for sick children including their daughter... the going forward to me is unclear.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:25 am
This is not a thread for the 3 weeks. Can this be locked with an email address of one of the rabbanim who were behind the campaign, and imamothers can contact him for further info and discussion?

Last edited by PinkFridge on Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:33 am
PinkFridge wrote:
This is not a thread for the 3 weeks. Can this be locked with an email address of one of the rabbanim who were behind this to contact if any further info is needed?

FYI I reported to raise your idea to mod's attention.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:44 am
WhatFor wrote:
FYI I reported to raise your idea to mod's attention.

Funny, I came back to the thread because I was thinking of editing my message.
First of all, Rabbi Galimidi's email is a few posts ahead of mine, I missed that.
Also, I hear the need for discussion and to process this. I just don't know if it can be done right. I am a big proponent of amother use, and am pretty liberal in what I'd ok, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. But this is a really controversial discussion. If it is necessary for us to have it, at the least it should be amother disabled, even if certain voices won't be heard.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics