Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O ending the Regents
Previous  1  2

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:07 am
I thought regents were really dumb. All the teachers taught to the regents, and all the students cared about was being prepared for the regents. The curriculum could have been better rounded without that constantly on everyone's mind.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:09 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I thought regents were really dumb. All the teachers taught to the regents, and all the students cared about was being prepared for the regents. The curriculum could have been better rounded without that constantly on everyone's mind.

100% true. At the same time, without some sort of standardized curriculum, how do you go to college? How do you know that the students sitting in the classroom learned at least roughly the same thing?

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
100% true. At the same time, without some sort of standardized curriculum, how do you go to college? How do you know that the students sitting in the classroom learned at least roughly the same thing?

How does every other state manage this?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:13 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
How does every other state manage this?

I've wondered that for a while.

Imamothers from other states who went to public 4-year colleges?

I can't understand why the SAT is considered standardized. It does not test content knowledge. It tests very specific test-taking aptitude and should be abolished more quickly than the Regents, IMO.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 8:36 am
Thanks to various federal laws, other states now have similar exams. In Pennsylvania they're called the Keystone exams.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:10 am
Btw, I want to respond to something written on the other thread.

Yes, the passing score has been dumbed down tremendously- 26 out of 86 is pathetic. However, the rigor in those questions is MUCH, MUCH higher than it was in my days (not too long ago), and my parents' days (their Regents weren't even in the same ballpark in terms of difficulty level). The Common Core is hard for teachers. If you took 200 Algebra I teachers and had them take the Algebra I Regents exam under normal test conditions, I bet you that less than 10% would get 100, and not all of them would even get in the high 90s.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics