Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bungalows - how do YOU do it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 10:35 pm
Raisin wrote:
Also - don't older kids and teens go to overnight camps anyway? So you are not saving money on that by going to a bungalow.

Don't get me wrong - I think every family should go on vacation! Its wonderful. I am sad that this year some of my kids are missing ours since they are doing camp. But a ten week vacation, often without the father around? Its sad that people feel the pressure to do this because everyone else is.

And btw - for those who bought a bungalow when it was cheap, you realise you could rent it out for a minimum of $1000 a week. ($1000 for a tiny bungalow? Wow.)

And I am glad everyone seems to think going on vacation for ten days is EXACTLY the same thing as going away for ten weeks. Surprised

More like $500/week, at least in my place.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 10:36 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I go to the country even though we struggle to pay our bills all year. Why?

-I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in the city with a bunch of kids. It's not so bearable for the summer, especially the long Shabbos afternoons and Sundays. There is no eiruv in my neighborhood, so we are limited in what we can do on Shabbos.

-I pay for the bungalow with part of my tax return. I also work from the country.

-Going to the country doesn't necessarily cost more that staying in the city would. Our bungalow costs about $4000, and day camp here is $450 a kid for the whole summer. In the city, there are no day camps in my neighborhood for kids over pre1A, so I would have to bus them to the same camp everyone else sends to, which costs about $2200 per kid. I don't drive, so I wouldn't have cheaper options, even if they did exist close enough.

-If I did have to pay more for the country than to stay in the city, then I would probably still prioritize it because of the benefits for the whole family. You just can't compare the freedom here with the jail-like feeling of living in a tiny apartment in the city with no eiruv.

Just curious: what do your children do sundays in the winter?

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 10:49 pm
I'm in a camp and dh is working here. With his wage and the free (dilapidated) bungalow, and (almost) free day camp for the kids, we decided to try it.
It's not easy, I hate the cramped disgusting quarters we have, and paying for laundry, and no privacy, but on the other hand the air, the grass and trees, the kids are living it up, it's good wholesome fun. They're not going on crazy trips or having elaborate activities and shows, they're making arts n crafts, playing games and running around outside, learning to jump rope and how to swim. They cant get enough of it.
We made some amazing friends here and it will be on the table again for next summer, too!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 10:52 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
The boys have school half a day. Then we hang around at home, go to the park if it's nice out. Not much else. I let them each have a turn on the computer every Sunday. It is a long boring day.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:30 pm
We are in a decent 3 bedroom 2 bathroom bungalow in a boys camp. My husband is working 24/7 job here, and my kids are in various day camps, some we have a discount and some not. I am paying about 5000 for day camps plus close to 1000 for tips. My husband has a decent salary. I am enjoying the pool, trees, air and being away from tiny Brooklyn apt. I am working really hard. I have laundry and am spoiled, no quarters or schlepping. But no cleaning help. I need to pack camp bags, clean bungalow, fold and put away laundry, sweep, mop, clean bathrooms, feed supper and make lunches for 2 kids. Did I mention carpooling kids in morning and 2 pick ups in afternoon, sometimes more depending on trips, late nights, etc, bathe kids, get everyone to bed on my own every night. My sister says I am working really hard here, and I believe I am. I do not have to cook, we need to pick up food and eat by our bungalow amd clean up after our own messes. This is how we do it.

greatfulmom

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 11:52 pm
I agree with the OP that too many families I know bought summer homes that they cannot afford, due to societal pressure. My friend bought and told me she has no idea how they are going to pay for it...

I for one am in the city this summer, because we cannot afford to rent a bungalow this summer. I am very happy in the city bh.

I understand why families benefit from going to the catskills, what I cannot possibly digest is going for nine weeks, separating from your spouse on weekdays. What kind of a life is this? Vacation for whom exactly?

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:24 am
In our colony many men come up to the mountains on Thursday and leave to work on Monday morning. That gives them 3 evenings in the city, and sometimes they come up on Tuesday for the night as well. The separation isn't as long as you imagine.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:02 am
greatfulmom wrote:
I agree with the OP that too many families I know bought summer homes that they cannot afford, due to societal pressure. My friend bought and told me she has no idea how they are going to pay for it...

I for one am in the city this summer, because we cannot afford to rent a bungalow this summer. I am very happy in the city bh.

I understand why families benefit from going to the catskills, what I cannot possibly digest is going for nine weeks, separating from your spouse on weekdays. What kind of a life is this? Vacation for whom exactly?

I don’t get to see my husband too much either. For a sec here and there but he’s busy all day till late at night and tumbles into bed- and asleep within minutes of coming home & out pretty early again. He’s on duty 99% of shabbos, comes home for a literally 7 min seudah then back out. Shabbos afternoon he has a break of about 1 1/2 hrs before going back for Mischa.

But I’m happy we can give this freedom opportunity for the kids. I’m not going to say it’s easy, I’m literally working 2 full time and 1 part time job Wink but it’s definitely the better alternative. Thank you Hashem!

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 4:35 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Not that poster, but in the winter the kids are in school on Sundays and it’s a short day - it gets dark very early.

In the summer it’s a long endless day because it started getting dark closer to 9 PM and the kids are home.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:38 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
More like $500/week, at least in my place.

Thats a pretty reasonable amount.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 9:11 am
The best summers of my life were in the country. It was tough on my parents but for us kids it was a priceless gift.

I can’t wait for the summer we can go.

mfb

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 9:44 am
I think this whole thread is useless. The people who think bungalow goers are wrong for going aren’t reading and processing the others answers.

aricelli

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 10:31 am
mfb wrote:
I think this whole thread is useless. The people who think bungalow goers are wrong for going aren’t reading and processing the others answers.

Noone thinks that everyone across the board who goes is wrong. Each family has a different dynamic. I believe bungalow colonies can be wonderful for some and can be awful for others. I have gone and loved it and have gone and hated it- depending on circumstances. I choose not to go now- and yes I can afford it.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:06 am
mfb wrote:

It's definitely beneficial but there is plenty to do in the city if you have access to transportation and money for museum memberships. We get free passes from the library but I don't know if Brooklyn libraries offer them.

aricelli

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:11 am
southernbubby wrote:
It's definitely beneficial but there is plenty to do in the city if you have access to transportation and money for museum memberships. We get free passes from the library but I don't know if Brooklyn libraries offer them.

I so agree!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics