Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Challah Dough Kokosh Cake?

corolla

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 9:00 pm
Can I use challah dough to make Kokosh cake? I don't have the time, patience, or facilities to make two different doughs. Is this possible? Any good filling recipes?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 9:08 pm
It is possible but it's harder to roll out challa dough very thin.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 9:18 pm
I have never been success ful doing it. Better to make garlic knots. Something that uses the dough closer to the way it's intended.

ddmom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 9:41 pm
Sure! I do it all the time!
Not sure why one of the posters find it hard to roll for me it's the same!
Comes out delicious every time!

ddmom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 9:45 pm
I shmear oil on the rolled out dough and either a mix of cinnamon, sugar and x's sugar or cocoa,sugar and x's sugar!
When I'm feeling brave I make a mix with chocolate pudding mix but I don't have exact measurements!

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 10:08 pm
Ddmom, I roll my kokosh dough paper thin. That's impossible to do with challa dough.

corolla

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 10:20 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Ddmom, I roll my kokosh dough paper thin. That's impossible to do with challa dough.

Why is it hard specifically with challah dough?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 10:46 pm
Because challa dough is more rough than a kokosh cake dough. Kokosh cake dough has margarine and more sugar than challa dough. It also has way less yeast.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 10:52 pm
I do it all the time- I don't get it paper thin, but thin enough- it takes a bit of heaver rolling, but it gets there. I also add a bit more sugar to my recipe to make it sweeter- about 1/4 Cup more and I add a drop more yeast, badiclly the usal measurment, but don't level it off.

After I roll it out I schmear it with oil and have a mixture of sugar, confectioner sugar and cocoa powder, schmear that on the whole thing and start to roll, but with each turn I add more oil and cocoa mixture to the part that does not have any on it. Once its all rolled up create a U shape and twist the dough together.
Good luck- yum!!

mom2dkay

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:04 pm
I don’t know the halacha, but making a Bracha on the dough might be a problem if the dough will be used for another purpose aside from challah.
Ask your own rav.

corolla

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:07 pm
mom2dkay wrote:
I don’t know the halacha, but making a Bracha on the dough might be a problem if the dough will be used for another purpose aside from challah.
Ask your own rav.

A bracha needs to be made regardless of what purpose the dough is being used for, if it's over a certain amount of flour. But I don't use that much anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:09 pm
Challa needs to be taken with a bracha of any dough regardless of what it's used for. I think from 5 lbs.

EsaEinai

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:48 pm
I make this all the time. Shmear oil over the dough. Make a mixture of 1/2 c cocoa powder and 1 c of sugar. Sprinkle over the oil. Roll it up!

You have to do hafrashas challah on 5lb of kokosh cake dough as well...

mom2mysouls

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:12 am
Blessing1 wrote:

Agree.

You will get kokosh with challah dough, it just won't be as good and thin as the authentic kokosh that uses way more fat. It might also be pretty dry.

cbsp

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:24 am
corolla wrote:
A bracha needs to be made regardless of what purpose the dough is being used for, if it's over a certain amount of flour. But I don't use that much anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes and no.

If the dough is split (some challah, some cake) then you may have a shaylah.

When I asked my LOR (and it was accidental, there's no way I thought this was even a shaylah) I was told that at long as 5lbs or more was being used for one purpose then I should separate with a brachah. Otherwise it would be without the brachah.

(my intended question was about freezing some of the dough raw - guess what, the psak I got was similar of the same lines)

Bottom line : ask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins