Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Elevate 12 year old boy's self esteem

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:34 pm
Please list ideas, things that you did to help your struggling middle school son. My 12 year old is intelligent, but socially awkward. He is at the age of developing self awareness, and he is suffering from very low self esteem because fitting in with peers and making friends is difficult. I want to do everything I can to build him outside of school...if you saw success in a similar situation, please list everything that you did that helped, thank you so much!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:27 pm
Obviously this will vary by school ,area, yeshieivishness...I know from my DS age 12 and his peers the number one thing in their "world" is sports. I would strongly encourage you to help your son either get into sports or enhance his skills. Sign him up for basketball drills, karate, little league, anything that will get him active.
Karate is supposed to be great for self esteem independent of the athletic piece. I wish I could afford it, I really hope to send all my kids one day

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:36 pm
I talked to my son about it.

Talked about his talents, how sometimes it's hard to make friends, how it's also hard for ME to make friends, about how I was a loser through much of school but now most people view me as highly, or even unusually, successful.

I spent time with him, we read novels together, a chapter a night.

That, constant encouragement and time I think did wonders.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 8:47 pm
By setting him up to succeed at something that will be valued by others as an accomplishment of skill.

flmommy

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 9:14 pm
Help him succeed at whatever he is good at. Find a club or camp where he can be around kids like him. Space camp, math camp whatever he truly enjoys.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:00 pm
Get him social skills training so he could fit in better. It's a life skill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics