Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Potato kugel help!

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:30 am
Does anyone have that potato kugel recipe where the crust is nice and brown and the inside is one beautiful white savory oily mush? Does any one know what I’m talking about?
I use smallish rectangle pans
Here is what I do with my usual kugel. I’m new to the cooking scene but would like to improvise my kugel a bit.

For the smallish rectangle pans I use

4 medium potatoes I guess the Idaho ones?
4 eggs
Oil
Pepper
Salt

I don’t measure the last 3.

Tips and tricks welcome! And anything else that I need to do etc.

Surrendered

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:49 am
miriess1 wrote:
Does anyone have that potato kugel recipe where the crust is nice and brown and the inside is one beautiful white savory oily mush? Does any one know what I’m talking about?
Here is what I do with my usual kugel. I’m new to the cooking scene but would like to improvise my kugel a bit.

4 eggs
Oil
Pepper
Salt

Same recipe, though I use 5-6 potatoes. And add selzer or water.

Bake on 500° for about 1/2 hour or turn it down to 400° after 10 minutes. Top should be crispy while the inside is soft. Putting it right away into the oven, will keep the potatoe kugel white.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:30 am
Yum. How much water? And when do I put the water in? Do I put it together with the mix?

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:55 am
Your recipe is good. I also use equal amounts of potatoes and eggs. I use the large loose Potatoes, not the ones from a bag which are smaller. I also put in an onion for flavor.
I DO measure the oil! For a small square pan (8x8) I use between 1/4-1/2 cup. I think it’s important to measure the oil since that gives it it’s texture.
For a large 9x13 it’s 7 large potatoes, 7 eggs, 2 onions and between 3/4-1 cup oil.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:01 am
miriess1 wrote:
I use smallish rectangle pans.

This is my favorite and has that texture you desire. You don't have to overnight it but if you do just put it up Thursday evening, switch to overnight, and come home from work Friday to amazing hot kugel.

Overnight Potato Kugel - Fresh & Easy
1 (5 lb) bag Idaho potatoes (don't use loose ones - too grainy)
1 onion
8 large eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grate the potatoes and onion. Mix in the eggs, oil and boiling water. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the potato mixture into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 2 hours, uncovered.

Enjoy as is or make the kugel an overnight Kugel.

After 2 hours, cover tightly with 3 layers of foil and put back in the oven. Place a pan filled with water on the bottom rack of the oven. Lower oven temperature to 220°F and bake 8 hours or overnight.

To make it in a smaller pan:
1/2 5 lb bag Idaho potatoes
1/2 onion
4 large eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons salt
1 pinch black pepper

Measure all ingredients.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Aug 21 2019, 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:24 am
Joy of kosher potato kugel cups made as a Kugel. My only change is to bake at 350 for two hours.

sheindellaya

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:45 am
miriess1 wrote:

4 eggs
Oil
Pepper
Salt

To keep the inside white, I would soak the potatoes in water before you grate them.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:07 am
sheindellaya wrote:
To keep the inside white, I would soak the potatoes in water before you grate them.

This, and I highly recommend to try it once with red potatoes or Yukon gold since the flavors are awesome. But most importantly, make the entire egg mixture, salt, oil, eggs etc, mix it with a fork, and when you are ready to bake, then grate the potatoes and incorporate them immediately. They sit, they brown. Oven should be preheated to 400 degrees F. After half an hour, lower it to 350. That gives it the gorgeous crust.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes