Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Starting early - camp for next summer
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:29 am
I know it’s quite early, but my ten year old daughter and her friends are already starting to talk about which camp they want to go to next summer. We live in Jackson, not yeshivish, but I want something less OOT and maybe nicer than Sternberg. I’m clueless about camps, having been to camp over twenty years ago. What camps would you recommend I look into?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:36 am
Your dd will want to go where her friends go

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:38 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Your dd will want to go where her friends go

Yes, they’re all discussing it now, so we’re wondering which camps to look into.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:49 am
My kids love camp stone.

It's a bnei akiva camp. It's far, about a 7 hour bus ride. But the education and ruach are amazing. If you go to the website and the news section, you can see what they are doing this month.

It is co-ed, but the boys and girls are separate.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:51 am
Ok, just saw you wrote less oot, stone is very oot. The less oot equivalent is moshava

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:58 am
Camp Dina. I don’t know much about it but my nieces that go to Bruriah go there and love it.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:02 am
Raninu?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:04 am
Dora Golding

Now that sternberg had gone private it’s nicer then the past. 1st and 2nd half have diff crowds.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:14 am
We love Shoshanim.
All girls.
I would consider it RWMO with a handful of BY girls.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:16 am
If she'll be finishing 5th grade, that's pretty young, but Bnoseinu (part of Bnos) is made for and amazing for that age.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:48 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Dora Golding

Now that sternberg had gone private it’s nicer then the past. 1st and 2nd half have diff crowds.

Do you know the diff crowds?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:49 am
From my experience, most girls start sleep away camp either going into 5th or going into 6th.
It is appropriate for any camp.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:57 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
From my experience, most girls start sleep away camp either going into 5th or going into 6th.
It is appropriate for any camp.

I think it depends on the crowd. I started going into fifth. I see at least in Lakewood, a lot of girls are going later. Maybe because the day camps are so much fun (too much if you ask me!)

dankbar

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:06 am
Many girls are only starting camp later these days.
Many camps only have older bunks nowadays.
Find out which camp accepts at this age

aricelli

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:09 am
dankbar wrote:
Many girls are only starting camp later these days.
Many camps only have older bunks nowadays.
Find out which camp accepts at this age

True. My mil went at age eight!!!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think it depends on the crowd. I started going into fifth. I see at least in Lakewood, a lot of girls are going later. Maybe because the day camps are so much fun (too much if you ask me!)

I hardly know anyone in Lakewood who sent kids to camp before going into 7th. My big girls went going into 8th.

I have an 11-year-old DD (going into 6th) and I plan to wait as long as I can (for sure not before 8th). Expense is a big part of it for me, and the daycamps locally are good enough for quite a while....plus I really felt that that was when my girls were ready (at 13) to be away from home and take care of themselves.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:12 am
aricelli wrote:
True. My mil went at age eight!!!

My mother went at age 5.

The post holocaust generation had many parents who were both working, no grandparents or family infrastructure to help out, etc...and that's pretty much who the camps were geared to. My mother went to camp every summer till she got married (including during her engagement to my father). There was no one to "babysit" her at home as both her parents worked.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:14 am
Chayalle wrote:
My mother went at age 5.

The post holocaust generation had many parents who were both working, no grandparents or family infrastructure to help out, etc...and that's pretty much who the camps were geared to. My mother went to camp every summer till she got married (including during her engagement to my father). There was no one to "babysit" her at home as both her parents worked.

Interesting. Thnks for sharing.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:26 am
My mom never went to camp. Her family went upstate every summer since a/c's weren't available for consumers and my grandma's health couldn't handle the city heat. My grandmother was a working mom during the year and took off for the summer (possibly worked upstate some summers?).

dankbar

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:36 am
I started camp at 9. Same camp today doesnt accept before out of 6th or seventh grade.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children