Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What communities should we look at OOT?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:11 am
We're beginning to think about where we're moving once we're done with schooling in the next few years.
We want to move OOT. Would prefer somewhere with a basic infrastructure.
Both our jobs are super portable so that's not a concern.
We have a pretty classic OOT yeshivish/right wing YU hashkafa .
Would like to be able to buy a house for around 200k or less.
Any ideas?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:14 am
Consider Cincinnati. Under $200K house cost would be on the low end here, but possible.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:20 am
I would have said Chicago but you cant get a house for under $200k

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:35 am
South Bend?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:42 am
mha3484 wrote:

We're trying to be realistic, only have about 40k for a down payment. Good thing we want a small community Wink

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:44 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Consider Cincinnati. Under $200K house cost would be on the low end here, but possible.

It's being considered! Do they have school vouchers there? What does that mean for the pay of teachers?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:44 am
What size house?
If you're willing to live in a 3 bedroom semi you can get one in Baltimore for under $200k and it sounds like it would fit your other requirements.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:45 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
South Bend?

Could you tell me more about the community?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's being considered! Do they have school vouchers there? What does that mean for the pay of teachers?

We do have vouchers. I don't know what teachers' pay is like.

If you want to reach out IRL, there are two organizations that work with potential new families. The MO one is move2cincy.org and the yeshivish one is destinationcincinnati.org. you can talk to or work with both if you want, just make sure they both know that you're talking to the other one so they can coordinate any overlapping logistics.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:48 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
What size house?
If you're willing to live in a 3 bedroom semi you can get one in Baltimore for under $200k and it sounds like it would fit your other requirements.

We were hoping 4 bedrooms , but could make 3 work. (only one kid at the moment but hoping to buy a house we can stay in for a while)

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:53 am
Baltimore

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:55 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
We do have vouchers. I don't know what teachers' pay is like.

If you want to reach out IRL, there are two organizations that work with potential new families. The MO one is move2cincy.org and the yeshivish one is destinationcincinnati.org. you can talk to or work with both if you want, just make sure they both know that you're talking to the other one so they can coordinate any overlapping logistics.

Thanks so much! I actually have distant family there I should reach out to also. We're not ready to really move yet, just getting info. (Probably moving in 2 years)

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 1:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Could you tell me more about the community?

I have visited but don't live there. It's a small community not too far from Chicago. Tuition and housing are very inexpensive compared to some other places. The main shul is a little to the right, while the "outreach" shul is more centrist MO. I'm not sure what the current status is of the boys' high school. There used to be an Imamother who would jump onto these threads, but I'm not sure if she's still here. This might help: http://www.cdisouthbend.com/

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 1:54 pm
Quote:
We were hoping 4 bedrooms , but could make 3 work. (only one kid at the moment but hoping to buy a house we can stay in for a while)

Some have a finished basement with a 4th bedroom. And some have a finished attic or the ability to finish the attic and add another room there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:39 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Quote:

Some have a finished basement with a 4th bedroom. And some have a finished attic or the ability to finish the attic and add another room there.

That's perfect and I have no issue with that. Thanks!

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:09 pm
Cleveland

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:35 pm
mha3484 wrote:

You can't get one even for double that (unless it is tiny and in bad condition; then maybe).

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:36 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Cleveland

Don't consider Cleveland unless you know you can a job there; the job market is very difficult.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:16 pm
Northeast Philadelphia!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:24 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Northeast Philadelphia!

How much are houses there?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating