Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Income and years in field

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:24 am
I'm looking at the different figures of income listed, and I think that a big factor is how many years someone is in their field. If a 25-year-old with 2 years in their field is comparing salaries with a 37-year-old with 14 years in the field, of course there's going to be a big gap due to experience.

Can you post what field you (and DH) are in, how many years you've been in that field, and how much gross income each of you brings in?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:26 am
I’m in a Union so past 10 years there’s no gap.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm looking at the different figures of income listed, and I think that a big factor is how many years someone is in their field. If a 25-year-old with 2 years in their field is comparing salaries with a 37-year-old with 14 years in the field, of course there's going to be a big gap due to experience.

Can you post what field you (and DH) are in, how many years you've been in that field, and how much gross income each of you brings in?

Does not work like that for doctors - and I suspect other medical professionals who work with insurance.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:31 am
I work in IT for 19 years with a bachelors and earn about 100K. My husband does online advertising/marketing for about 12 years. Also only a bachelors and earns just under 100k. We are NOT in the Tri-state area.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:31 am
Fair enough. You can still post it. Few people start out at their max earning potential when they're in their early to mid 20s, though.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:01 pm
There are many positions which don't have salaries equating to years of experience - people get promoted or not promoted. Certain positions have caps on what can be earned no matter how long you are in the position.

The only positions I know that conform strictly to years at a job would be Civil Service positions in which one reaches certain grades but even then it's not strictly based on years. For example, a public school teacher may earn more by taking more courses but at a certain level it's capped.

I really can't think of many positions which have salaries based solely on how many years one has worked. If anything, sadly there have been several studies showing that older workers are often disfavored when hiring and so many years of experience often makes it more difficult to find a job even if one is willing to work for a salary that is commensurate with fewer years of experience.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 1:41 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
There are many positions which don't have salaries equating to years of experience - people get promoted or not promoted. Certain positions have caps on what can be earned no matter how long you are in the position.

The only positions I know that conform strictly to years at a job would be Civil Service positions in which one reaches certain grades but even then it's not strictly based on years. For example, a public school teacher may earn more by taking more courses but at a certain level it's capped.

I really can't think of many positions which have salaries based solely on how many years one has worked. If anything, sadly there have been several studies showing that older workers are often disfavored when hiring and so many years of experience often makes it more difficult to find a job even if one is willing to work for a salary that is commensurate with fewer years of experience.

Most of the time, though, someone who's in their low-to-mid-20's will not have maxed out their earning potential--whether it's through simply asking for a raise (which people usually do at some point, no?) or moving up.

I work in a unionized position with a fixed pay scale based purely on longevity, so obviously it's more true for my position. But even in an office position, the person working for 10 years is generally making more than the one working for 2.

I'm just wondering if some of these threads asking about income have respondents in wildly different stages of their careers and earning potential.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 1:42 pm
Interior Design, 1 year, 45k
I'm in my very low twenties

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:10 pm
Nurse. 1 yr 60k / 34/hr. Live in Ohio. I'm curious what an rn on the east coast makes.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:15 pm
IT - 30 years - no college degree - Cope course.
130K plus 401K match and benefits.
For the last 12 years I have worked at home - going in at most once a month.
At that time I made the decision that I would continue to do my then current job/task and not climb the corporate ladder any higher and take more responsibility upon myself so I did not really progress in salary since.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:18 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
IT - 30 years - no college degree - Cope course.
130K plus 401K match and benefits.
For the last 12 years I have worked at home - going in at most once a month.
At that time I made the decision that I would continue to do my then current job/task and not climb the corporate ladder any higher and take more responsibility upon myself so I did not really progress in salary since.

That is a nice salary and package on its own, without climbing more--especially while working from home!

What exactly do you do in IT?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:28 pm
Sorry - I don’t know how to reply to a specific post but I’m the one in IT working at home.
I worked my way up for the first 18 years -
First coding and then managing as well in the brokerage / bank industry. After many mergers in my company I ended up being a business analyst - writing specs and conducting testing of whatever project I am working on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics