Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Law School
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:23 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
With a score in the 170's, I would expect her to be able to get a significant scholarship somewhere

A score in the low 170s doesn't even get her into a lot of top tier law schools, let alone a merit scholarship.

My 178 made me pretty ordinary.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:39 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
A score in the low 170s doesn't even get her into a lot of top tier law schools, let alone a merit scholarship.

A score in the 99th percentile is ordinary?

The top 10 law schools accept people with scores of 170, some start lower.
https://magoosh.com/lsat/2016/.....ools/

In any case, as I said, she would get a scholarship somewhere. The lower the tier school, the higher the scholarship. If she's not interested in practicing law, why does she need to go to a top tier school? She may consider going to a third tier school on a full scholarship, if she can get one.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:42 pm

This is the kind of real talk I'm looking for. Congrats on your amazing score. I'm waiting for a few months of studying to take the test. Don't want to leave anything to chance.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:47 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
A score in the 99th percentile is ordinary?

The top 10 law schools accept people with scores of 170, some start lower.
https://magoosh.com/lsat/2016/.....ools/

In any case, as I said, she would get a scholarship somewhere. The lower the tier school, the higher the scholarship. If she's not interested in practicing law, why does she need to go to a top tier school? She may consider going to a third tier school on a full scholarship, if she can get one.

I'm considering it. Right now I'm taking it mostly for fun. My husband doesn't want me to go to law school and I agree - it would mean he would have to take on the burden at home, and he works far more than full time. But if things change, its nice to have it in our pocket.

I would like to work part time, and tutoring might be a good fit.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:41 pm

What are you basing this on? A 171 was the median LSAT for the entering class at Columbia, a top 6 school, in 2017.

Generally speaking, an LSAT above a school's median means an applicant has a decent shot at a merit scholarship, as long as the GPA is decent (I'd say above the 25th percentile for the school) and there are no red flags on the application (e.g. discipline record from college or criminal record). To get a full merit scholarship, a candidate's profile usually has to be well above the school's typical class, but schools give out a lot of partials.

OP, if you want to know about your chances of admissions and merit aid based on LSAT and GPA, go to top-law-schools.com and also lawschoolnumbers.com (assuming it's not defunct). Also, the law schools' own websites report stats for their incoming classes.

As far as I know, all law schools except for Harvard, Yale, and Stanford offer merit aid, but specific practices vary. Some condition the scholarship continuation on a certain performance level in the first year. At top schools, any such conditions are usually pretty minimal (I think at one top 10 school it was a 3.0 GPA, which means you just had to avoid the bottom 15% of the class), but at lower tiered schools, the conditions can be more onerous.

Edit: Harvard, Yale, and Stanford offer generous need-based aid, so that is something to consider as well.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics